• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Square Foot Gardens

My oldest, who is almost 5 has been a pepper tomato picker for last 2 seasons. Of course I have to manage and mainly I pick and she puts them in a bin but this year hoping she will get more freedom as she has learned what is what and what is ripe. I am thinking Chiltepin and Thai plants. muhahahahaha

Couldn't agree more on the kids. My daughter acts interesting for a second then she wanders off while I'm trying to get her to help me.
It's not just the kids... I know a fellow who said his grandfather was deaf if you wanted to talk to him about something that would take some effort on his part, but if you went into a locked closet in the house across the street and whispered the word "Whiskey" he'd show up immediately... ;)

It's not just the kids... I know a fellow who said his grandfather was deaf if you wanted to talk to him about something that would take some effort on his part, but if you went into a locked closet in the house across the street and whispered the word "Whiskey" he'd show up immediately... ;)

:rofl:

Everything's totally mixed up, but I did yellow and purple onions, carrots, swiss chard, mustard greens, a turnip, a sunflower, cucumbers, beans, peas, a couple okra, a couple squash, spinach, lettuce, corn (which I expect to be not worthwhile) orange bell, and a tomato. These are all in the big one. The smaller one has black eyed peas, bush beans, a couple squash in the middle, a yellow onion middle left, and a purple onion middle right, and flowers in the front.

There are peppers in containers behind the trellis that I will remove later to get to the back side of the planter.

Playing daddy daycare this weekend but hopefully I can complete my build tomorrow and get the soil in place. As you can see, completely protected. "The Secret Garden"

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

The fabric covers about 10 * 6 currently. The box will be 8 * 4

Looks good so far. Are you going to follow the guidelines for the "mel's mix" for it? I had a little trouble finding bulk vermiculite but I found out that the local feed store could order it. A 4 cubic foot bag was $21. I was also not able to find the 5 different composts. I had to go with 3. Good Luck!

I was going to follow the Mel's mix. Home Depot here carries vermiculite and I have my own 2 55 gallon containers of compost. I found a great deal on Pro-Mix and got a few bales of that instead and will amend it as I go. A friend who is doing 3 boxes followed the mix to the letter. I guess we will see the results and see if my choice was right. :)

[sup]I like the height you went with. Mine's only 6 inches deep and I'm curious to see how my carrrots are going to look when I pull them out. Yours will be better for carrots and potatoes.[/sup]

[sup]I don't know why this is so small. Seems the THP is messing with me.[/sup]

Back