• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Square pot and tray questions

I'll be using the 1 pint root pouch for some of my plants to see how seedlings would do in a fabric container. They are 3 inch wide and 5 inches tall.

I don't want to put all my eggs into the root-pouch basket so-to-say, so i'd like to also get some square pots. I'm thinking of getting some 3.5 inch pots. These are the types i found:I want to be able to bottom water these using a 1020 tray. From what i can see, i can use a 1020 tray, fill 18 of the 3.5 inch pots in it and bottom water. Does that sound right?

The P86D is deeper so more room for roots to grow. It is comparable to the height of the root pouch too. But i hear it is less stable when moving them around in the 1080 tray. Also why would people get the pocket tray if you cannot bottom water with it? Do they put the pocket tray within a 1080 tray to bottom water?

I noticed some people moving fro 3.5inch to 1 gallon containers. Do you think it is ok to go from 3.5 inch pot to the 5 gallon root pouches and raised bed i'll be using?

Should i stick with 3.5inch? Go bigger to a 4 inch? My main concern is to be able to easily bottom water and keeping them in the pot until they go outside. I had a hard time watering in 2011 as i used those darn red solo cups which always fell down when moving them.

Thanks all.

that's all i use, i didn't even buy them, directly, i just saved them over the years.

once i think the plant is ready into a 1 gallon container it goes, the problem i had with going to larger containers is i am always tempted in putting more than 1 plant per container. once you see the lonely little plant in a 5 gallon bucket, you think he needs a friend.

another consideration is square coconut coir baskets, as for watering i have never had one fall apart on me like peat pots.

3.5 inch is great for peppers. I like the tall ones you've got listed. I use a tall one: http://www.mcconkeyco.com/product/mcconkey-4-deep-tech-square-jmctsd4g

You can go right from there to a large container or into the ground. Another intermediate pot up is OK if you're not ready with the final location.

It might be a little harder to transplant out of a fabric root pruning container, I don't know if it would be worth it for seedlings.

Thanks all, i went ahead and bought 100 of the P86D 3.5 x 5 inch pots and 6 1020 trays so i can bottom water. I won't be using all 100, but its something for the future :)

Back