• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Squirrel problem

Squirrel Problem...... I represent that every once in awhile when out with friends and get into some of the heated debates we have.
They yell and threaten me to leave..hehe

"Hey skwerl, shut the _ up, or we're going to kick your a$$ if you don't get the h#ll out of here !!! NOW !!!!"

"OK, I'm outta here. But I will be back ! "

Works everytime for getting rid of this skwerl.
But for your squirrels.
Well, might look pretty funny yelling at them to leave.

Well gotta go !!!.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all !!!!

OK... back on topic

Subsonic .22s—and certainly the primer-only Aguila Super Colibri powderless rounds—are quieter than my old spring-action Daisy .22 caliber pellet gun.

Squirrel backstrap reminds me of the texture of a pork rib, and the legs can be similar to dark meat chicken. It's good, wild-harvest protein that's free of drugs and other agri-industrial meddling. The fur is useful to fly- and jig-tyers, and the hides can be tanned into nice leather.

I'm from rural Missouri but now work in the finance industry. I don't mention it at work but I truly miss squirrel meat. Cooked well it is the most delicious meat there is. I would buy it at the grocery store.

I've got squirrels in my back yard and yeah the lil buggers have dug in the past but something that does work is hanging small reflective things, cd's or mini 2"-3" tart tins, off of the branches. This also helped out with a neighbor that has a buckeye tree that the lil chits were eating too.
Make sure they hang freely and are able to spin around if possible.

Has anybody here tried supplementing the squirrels' diet with a second generation anticoagulant like bromadiolone? It comes in peanut butter flavor for dispatching recalcitrant rats. It would seem like a practical fix -- especially in an urban environment.

very interesting thought, but i would be worried about accidental poisoning of myself, the watershed, and all the predators and scavengers in my area; we have lots of foxes and hawks, protected vultures, and neighborhood dogs.

Has anybody here tried supplementing the squirrels' diet with a second generation anticoagulant like bromadiolone? It comes in peanut butter flavor for dispatching recalcitrant rats. It would seem like a practical fix -- especially in an urban environment.
Using such things and any toxins outside is illegal in my neighborhood. My retired neighbor next door almost got himself slapped in jail for trying that. You can typically use such things indoors, but not out. Check your community laws/rules before attempting to use outside. If your community has an animal control department, they might be a quick resource for info.

I lost probably 70 lbs or so of Roma tomatoes to squirrels last summer - shooting with a BB gun was impractical (too many, didn't want to sit around waiting for them all day), and did not want to try poison.

Solved the problem by using some protective mesh from Lowes. Had to create a simple frame to drape it over, double layer it and tack it down, but it worked.

Back