• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Stake or no Stake

I have been putting a stake in my plants to help with our non-stop winds. This last week was especially brutal. I have lost most (50-75%) of the leaves on most of my in ground plants, the containers are doing better being more shielded close to the house. Seems like the stake is what is breaking off most of the leaves... when a big gust (40 mph+) slams the plant the leaves get leveraged by the stake and snap off. I am wondering of I am better off just letting the plants fend for themselves... I am putting out another 50 plants in the ground today and tomorrow. They have nice thick stems. What do you all think? Will it be even worse with out a stake? What do you find works best?

I'd suggest putting up some sort of wind breaker? Or maybe a wicker fence? That was my solution, but I'm doing things on a smaller scale, only twenty plants out at the moment. A problem I had with stakes was that the plant actually acted like a sail and eventually pulled the stake out of place and when that's happened it's hard to stabilise the stake again without taking it out and sticking it in elsewhere, then you end up with all sorts of holes in and around your roots and I'm not sure how great that is for the plants?

Someone with more experience could probably give you a better answer, maybe just a simple yes or no to stakes ;)

Wow B that really sucks man,

I think if you didn't have them staked you would have lost the whole plant. you may have found them lying flat on the ground or even gone,
Hopefully they will recover somewhat!

40+ wind on your plants staked or not staked will be devastating, sounds like maybe its time for a wind break.

Sorry that happened to you.

Bummer, SC

Wow B that really sucks man,

I think if you didn't have them staked you would have lost the whole plant. you may have found them lying flat on the ground or even gone,
Hopefully they will recover somewhat!

40+ wind on your plants staked or not staked will be devastating, sounds like maybe its time for a wind break.

Sorry that happened to you.

Bummer, SC

Agree 100% with Chicken. Last year I lost plants w/o stakes, staked plants survived. Not conditions like yours though, very tough situation.

I like to tie my plants to the stake with a small piece of twine!
Keeps em from floppin around so much!
and I wouldnt plant without a stake.

But I agree that with winds that high there prolly aint much you can really do!

Kevin

mmmmmmmmmmmmm, Steaks.....

The thing with stakes is if you DIDN'T use them, you would have breakage at your STEMS. With being staked, you only lost leaves. You plants will make new ones. Again, missing leaves is WAY better than plants that are broken in half!

When the stakes are high...

...the 7Pots are bigger...

Who's not gonna take that gamble on? ;)

dvg

I have the exact same problem. Down here you would have a difficult time making a windbreak, my plants are behind a cedar fence, they still take a beating.

This has been the windiest I have seen in Texas in 10 years. 40 plus gusts everyday, and over 100 degrees for the last week.

Our peppers grow up tough.....

I have been putting a stake in my plants to help with our non-stop winds. This last week was especially brutal. I have lost most (50-75%) of the leaves on most of my in ground plants, the containers are doing better being more shielded close to the house. Seems like the stake is what is breaking off most of the leaves... when a big gust (40 mph+) slams the plant the leaves get leveraged by the stake and snap off. I am wondering of I am better off just letting the plants fend for themselves... I am putting out another 50 plants in the ground today and tomorrow. They have nice thick stems. What do you all think? Will it be even worse with out a stake? What do you find works best?

AJ shown a pic the other day of 100 plus TS spaced 21 (in) on center. He said it helps having them close together to hold up to the wind better. I think I would rather have the leaves fall off than the stems breaking. I suppose you could try some to see what happens. I have lost leaves before from terrible storms, but the plants always came back around!! You juice them and they will grow!

Good Luck!!

Back