• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Stakes or cages

I have 9 jalapeno, 3 habanero, 2 jumbo jalapeno and 6 Roma tom plants.
Any suggestions on whats best to control these guys, and keep them in their own place.

That I wish I could tell you. Never grown herbs at home. Someone shall be along shortly to post an answer. :) I'd like to know for next too, as cilantro is my favorite herb on earth.

I use cages on the tomatos, mine are 6' now and planted them too close together. You can pick the basil leaves and lay them out flat on a paper plate and freeze them then move them to a freezer bag, they'll keep for up to 6 months. Just pull out the leaves you want. Of course nothing compares to fresh out of the garden. Haven''t tried that with cilantro, grew some and it was great, but went to seed and couldn't get the young stuff back.

I use both stakes and cages on my peppers. The stakes help support the main stem while the cages help support the branches. A pepper plant with a good load of pods needs all the support it can get if/when the weather gets nasty.

Alan

I use stacks for my peppers and cages for maters. A few tomatoes are going nuts and I'm using stakes outside the cages. This is my first year for cilantro so I don't know much yet, but I think it will be like my Basil. With Basil you want to keep leaves growing ..... NOT flowers. So I trim all the time. Sometimes it's just a little for a salad. Other times it's enough for Pesto. I freeze the extra pesto. I haven't froze leaves. On trimming the basil ..... if flowers are starting I cut them off even if it's not usable.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

i just use stakes for the peppers, and i really only stake the main stalk right below wher eit divides, seem sto work fine for me

I stake my pepper plants and in years past, I have caged my tomatos. I am using the "Florida weave" for my tomatos this year and love it....

http://www.foogod.com/~torquill/barefoot/weave.html

PD hit the nail on the head for cilantro...if you let it flower, it will go to seed, if you keep the ends of the stalks with flowers on them clipped/pinched off, the cilantro will continue to grow and produce...

I use stakes and cages for tomatoes, regular cages on their own are way too small and flimsy. As for chiles, I only stake fragile looking plants and its usually the ones with lots of bottom branching. The rest are usually quite strong and sturdy on their own

hey all, I'm tellin' ya...if you can put your tomatos in a row and use the weave, you will be amazed at how easy it is...and no bulky cage storage during the off season...matter of fact, I am throwing away about 25 or so cages next week...

and if you were closer, I would give them to you...

I've used the FW and it works well on plants that are spaced adequately. My porch maters are close and a jumbled mess and I just tie a limb every now and then to some nylon cargo netting.

AJ, what kind of "heavy twine" do you use?

I stake all of my peppers. The reason I do all of them whether needed or not, is we tend to get strong thunderstorms through out the summer especially in July. I hate loosing plants to strong winds, and try to minimize the damage. For the tomatoes the florida weave is a nice method, you should really check out before you buy some cages.

Back