• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Staking and trellising peppers

If you prune them up to the V in the stalk, the stem/stalk will thicken up. I wait until the plant is fairly acclimated and growing well before I do this, depending on pests, color, weather. I snip off blooms until the plant gets close to maturity height, allowing the support structure to thicken before fruiting. I get a decent grow season in TN. Mid April-Mid Oct. I never stake peppers.

This guy has some novel ideas akin to trellising etc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTPiho8HUK0

Depends on your grow conditions and types of plants being grown - some do not have the 'Y' shape that is common to annuums. I grow in pots and use my own version of a make-shift tomatoe cage - 3 dowel rods in each pot, with strings going from the plant to each rod and also around. I highly recommend using some sort of support for larger plants, whether they are tall or wide, in the event a wind/thunderstorm comes along. Your needs will be different depending upon whether you are growing in-ground, whether you have a reasonably-sheltered area for them to grow in, etc. 

We use the cheap 3 ring tomato cages.  If need be, we can cover the whole plant/cage with tulle or netting to keep cross breeding to a minimum. 

Back