• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Staking my plants

Hey guys,

I've moved a bunch of my plants outside and some of the stems just arent strong enough to withstand a slight breeze. I want to stake my plants to support the stems.

I know its a basic and stupid question, but how do I go about doing this? I was planning on picking up some thin wooden dowels (maybe 2ft.) at the store but my concern was the actual staking. All my plants are in containers so if I drive the stake into the dirt won't I run the risk of damaging the roots? Whats the best way and safest way to do this?

I just straighten out wire hangers and run them down by the stem of the plant. An loosely tie the plant. Less damage to the roots. Then if needed I switch to wooden dowels when plants are larger an setting pods. By then roots are pretty well established any ways.

Use string or something soft. Tie to stake but dont tie it tight. Your gonna have to allow for the stem to thicken

I use plastic rods from the do-it-yourself store for my larger plants like mammoth Jalapeños and Cayennes. The rods are about 6 ft. long and about 1/2 inch in diameter. They are fairly cheap, sturdy and never rot so they can be used year after year. I drive them into the ground about 3 or 4 inches from the main trunk of the plant. Perhaps I've just been lucky but I have never seen any detrimental effects on the plants from this and the staking seems to take a lot of stress off the larger plants so they can do their thing.

Some people are suggesting going right down the stem and others are saying to go a few inches from the stem - what's the best method? Also, when staking do you want to have the stake about a foot or so higher than the plants current height?

I would say if this is gonna be the only time you stake them. An you plan on using it all the way threw the season. An 1" or 2" away from the stem to allow for growth and stem thickening, and yea a foot above the plants height now will be fine. You will just probably have to change your tie points later as the plants grow and new branches develop.

I just push them into the ground ~1" away from the stem. Sure, I might hurt some roots, but I figure that should still be peanuts compared to what a plant might have to suffer in the wild.
This is my first season though - that said, none of them seem to have cared that I perhaps pushed through a few roots.

I place mine 3-4" away from the stem. I use special plant stakes that are 3' long and have little ridges on them that the plant can grab on. I think I got 20 for $10 and reuse them each year. I also don't tie the plant to the stake at all, I just let the weight of the plant lean against the stake to keep it upright. Peppers are awesome for this since the branches fork out, I just put them stake between a forked section. I can usually take the stake out a couple weeks later because the stem eventually thickens up enough to hold the weight when the plant isn't tied to the stake

Back