• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Started some new fellas

Potting mix is superb. Using same stuff I put together for my indoor bonsai scorpion. The picture was taken a day after it rained alot so it just looks crappy right there. And I know. I tested the blood meal out because I've read alot about nitrogen doing them good. Which it did help it increase in some size. Do you think it's possible that most other nutrients flushed out after alot of excessive rain? I've wanted to try out fish emulsion but I hear it attracts some pests and for me that is no bueno. I plan to transplant soon to a bigger pot in the next few days once the pot dries abit more.

What do you think of pruning? I've been thinking about it but most of the times I just let my pepper plants go and grow. Despite my orange scorpion I have, had to prune down some last year

They seem to be gaining quite alot more size over the past week probably gained another 3 inches in height, noticed it's starting to look like buds are forming so I've been pinching them off to help keep it vegatating since my initial goal is to have a big and healthy plants in that pot to turn into sibling bonsai's. having one concern on the leafs starting to curl towards the sky and inward. My guess is that it was just overwatered from the rain that was going on. Branches and main stem seem to be getting more support strength from them thickening up.

Edit: just noticed I accidentally topped the bigger one when I snipped off the first bud I seen, not a full blown top. part of it looks like a leaf was only fimmed on accident as well because I went about getting the first bud off while my eye was bothering me from a cut I got on my cornea a couple weeks back.

solid7 said:
You won't prevent vegetation if you leave flowers on.  But that's your call.
I always read it helped more to sometimes get some off if they happen to form early. But now that I know I wont be snipping or pinching anymore off, as I'd also like to get a harvest this season so I can share seeds with you guys on whoever asks. as long as no flower drop happens and pods get to form this seasons

berrypalmer31 said:
I always read it helped more to sometimes get some off if they happen to form early. But now that I know I wont be snipping or pinching anymore off, as I'd also like to get a harvest this season so I can share seeds with you guys on whoever asks. as long as no flower drop happens and pods get to form this seasons
I've tried removing buds in the past, it really doesn't do anything.  Maybe if it was in a situation where nutrients were scarce it would make a difference, maybe.

Doelman said:
I've tried removing buds in the past, it really doesn't do anything.  Maybe if it was in a situation where nutrients were scarce it would make a difference, maybe.
That may be so. The first 2 little buds I snipped off were on Friday and it has had quite alot more growth happening in size, height, branch/main stem thickness, etc. And some nutrients may be scarce for me due to all the rain.

There's no guarantee that some flower drop won't occur.  If your plant isn't ready, it's going to drop, simple as.  Do not use that as a criteria, in this case.
As far as nutrient scarcity...  It's a cascading effect.  All nutrients have a dependent relationship with other nutrients.  You really can't just have one single nutrient missing, and not see an effect somewhere else.  So, in effect, if your plant looks healthy, it is.  And it's almost never fruitful or productive, to go chasing down problems from the perspective of singularity.  Almost anyone who isn't a botanist or horticulturist, will miss the mark on this one. LOL

solid7 said:
There's no guarantee that some flower drop won't occur.  If your plant isn't ready, it's going to drop, simple as.  Do not use that as a criteria, in this case.
As far as nutrient scarcity...  It's a cascading effect.  All nutrients have a dependent relationship with other nutrients.  You really can't just have one single nutrient missing, and not see an effect somewhere else.  So, in effect, if your plant looks healthy, it is.  And it's almost never fruitful or productive, to go chasing down problems from the perspective of singularity.  Almost anyone who isn't a botanist or horticulturist, will miss the mark on this one. LOL
I know this about flower drop and all. Just keeping my fingers crossed that it doesnt happen because I want to share seeds with everyone. And I know, my guess is that there is bound to be somewhat some nutrient deficiency or that there will be due to all the rain that was occurring, may have flushed my soil out abit or alot, I wont know unless I see something else go on with them other than that the 2 in that pot look really healthy other than them being possibly overwatered from the rain as stated above.

If you're really worried, and your end goal is bonchi, just use a slow release inorganic fertilizer.  That's about as stable as you can get with nutrients.  Maybe low ball the dose a bit, so you can supplemental feed with a liquid, to really eliminate the issue.

solid7 said:
If you're really worried, and your end goal is bonchi, just use a slow release inorganic fertilizer.  That's about as stable as you can get with nutrients.  Maybe low ball the dose a bit, so you can supplemental feed with a liquid, to really eliminate the issue.
Not overly worried but any knowledge not known is knowledge well taught for me. Will keep this in mind for when I go about transplanting again. I recently transplanted it about a 1 1/2 -2 weeks ago to the pot it's currently in. But yes the prime goal is bonchi especially when the time comes to overwinter. At the same time I also want it to maintain being fruitful and productive.

Now that my eye isnt bothering me I took a look at these 2 today. Seems theres some pest issues. Anyone able to help figure out what's getting at them? There was an issue with white flies 2 weeks ago but I've been spraying for them every few days and haven't seen them since.

Attachments

• 20190715_194858.jpg
    20190715_194858.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 60
I'm hung up on how one gets viable seeds from a "premature" pod... The OP even mentioned that these plants cane from "premature" seeds. If premature=unripe, I'm pretty sure the seeds wouldn't have germinated. Or maybe Berry means just like an early pods when (s)he says "premature?"

At any rate, personally, I try to stay polite and appreciative when I'm trying to get help. So I'm usually kinda taken aback when others adopt a different demeanor.

At any rate, I sincerely wish the OP luck in growing his/her unknown SuperHot annuums in pots filled with mud.

Bicycle808 said:
I'm hung up on how one gets viable seeds from a "premature" pod... The OP even mentioned that these plants cane from "premature" seeds. If premature=unripe, I'm pretty sure the seeds wouldn't have germinated. Or maybe Berry means just like an early pods when (s)he says "premature?"

At any rate, personally, I try to stay polite and appreciative when I'm trying to get help. So I'm usually kinda taken aback when others adopt a different demeanor.

At any rate, I sincerely wish the OP luck in growing his/her unknown SuperHot annuums in pots filled with mud.

Yes by premature i mean unripe and not fully grown pods. It is possible to get them to germinate, surprisingly they have about 95% successful germination rate from what I've noticed. and the pots aren't filled with mud. They just appear that way due to all the rain that's been going on out here the soil doesnt look like the picture that was posted anymore. Y'all need to start reading the prime details. But right now I am concerned of pests and I'm hoping solid7 will be able to help me on figuring out what pests it could be since I've got rid of the white fly problem I first had.

I don't really give much thought to the tears in the leaf, but when I see hardening and bronzing of leaves, I immediately start thinking that it's broad mites.  But broad mites will generally (first) congregate at the new growth and terminal buds.  Is there any damage there?  Any spots where new leaves stop growing, and turn brown?

berrypalmer31 said:
You may have identified the pest issue. From what I have noticed it's only been on the more new and fresher leafs that have sprung up. Will check in the morning and post back to further resolve and identify the current situation. I've noticed little browning to the leafs. First I was thinking it was from the blood meal I fed em and they were getting nitrogen burn but in my view nitrogen wouldn't make those tears, plus I only used about half a table spoon of blood meal sprinkled all over the top layer of soil. It just stormed where I'm at too so now everything is going to be soaked so there may be a harder time identifying the current problem.
solid7 said:
I don't really give much thought to the tears in the leaf, but when I see hardening and bronzing of leaves, I immediately start thinking that it's broad mites.  But broad mites will generally (first) congregate at the new growth and terminal buds.  Is there any damage there?  Any spots where new leaves stop growing, and turn brown?
You may have identified the pest issue. From what I have noticed it's only been on the more new and fresher leafs that have sprung up. Will check in the morning and post back to further resolve and identify the current situation. I've noticed little browning to the leafs. First I was thinking it was from the blood meal I fed em a week before transplant and they were getting nitrogen burn but in my view nitrogen wouldn't make those tears, they got transplanted about 1 1/2 weeks/ 2 weeks ago.they were fed the blood meal a week before hand maybe a couple days more than that, plus I only used about half a table spoon of blood meal sprinkled all over the top layer of soil. It just stormed where I'm at too so now everything is going to be soaked so there may be a harder time identifying the current problem.

Back