• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Starting an indoor grow

Good morning all! First post here!

Well the SO and i have produced an AMAZING outdoor garden this year, but id like to get a little something indoors going.  I have a 2.5'x2' space, and a 180w (100w actual), with a ring of 8 42w CFL's on top.  My plan is to have 2 pepper plants in 3gal fabric pots in the middle, with some rectangular planters with various herbs around the edges.  Sound like a sound plan?  Any advice?

Welcome to THP...that's gonna be a tight spot for 2 pepper plants and herbs etc IMO but hey I have seen some crazy sheeit being done on this forum so giver her a go ...

I plan to HEAVILY train the plants with LST.  And most of the herbs will be low light loving herbs, so being a bit shaded wont be a problem.

juanitos said:
sounds ok. you can even put the pepper plants in 1 gals that will help them stay smaller,

I'd second that as well.  To help with the confine space you have available, I'd stick with a one gallon (maybe a 2 gallon) root bag to keep the plants from over growing.

I'm growing a Carolina Reaper and a Chocolate Moruga under grow lights, within a 6 foot by 3 foot area.  It can be done.  When you get some pics of your space and equipment, post them up.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the input everyone!  In my morning typing stupor, i put down 3 gal, however i am planning on 2gal smartpots.  Ill post up when I start getting things set up.

ikeepfish said:
May have issues with that lighting with fully grown plants. I'd recommend using T5HO lights.

he shouldn't have any problems...if he has 8 42 watt CFLs + other lighting...that's minimum 20K lumens for a 5 square foot area....all you really need in 3K lumens ft2 for full growth...what is more important is the light "color" ....blue for vegetative (6000K) , red for fruiting flowering (3000K)....

AlabamaJack said:
he shouldn't have any problems...if he has 8 42 watt CFLs + other lighting...that's minimum 20K lumens for a 5 square foot area....all you really need in 3K lumens ft2 for full growth...what is more important is the light "color" ....blue for vegetative (6000K) , red for fruiting flowering (3000K)....
Not to be contrarian but I am one who believes needing red bulbs is a myth. With enough infrared (heat) it's unnecessary. Different story if you're talking about LED though.

The CFL's will be a mix of 4 2700 and 4 6500, and the LED is a dual spectrum as well.  Ordered my seeds yesterday, going to grow a Chinese 5 color, Hungarian goat horn, and some scorpions.

@ ikeepfish

well, we will have to agree to disagree...through all the research I have done on lighting, the spectrum of light plays the key part in plant growth...and the plants need different parts of the spectrum during different stages of growth...

blue light (400-520 nM, equivalent to ~5700-7500 kelvin) - peak chlorophyll absorption that is best best for vegetative

red light (610-720 nM, equivalent to  4100-4900 kelvin) - peak chlorophyll absorption that is best best for flowering/fruiting

plant-lighting-spectrum.jpg

I know this is very important to the 420 grows and the principle is the same...that's cool if you don't believe the research...

chachie...have you read any of my old threads about lighting and how I am set up?

AlabamaJack said:
@ ikeepfish

well, we will have to agree to disagree...through all the research I have done on lighting, the spectrum of light plays the key part in plant growth...and the plants need different parts of the spectrum during different stages of growth...

blue light (400-520 nM, equivalent to ~5700-7500 kelvin) - peak chlorophyll absorption that is best best for vegetative

red light (610-720 nM, equivalent to  4100-4900 kelvin) - peak chlorophyll absorption that is best best for flowering/fruiting

plant-lighting-spectrum.jpg

I know this is very important to the 420 grows and the principle is the same...that's cool if you don't believe the research...

chachie...have you read any of my old threads about lighting and how I am set up?

I have not read any of your threads, but i am no stranger to ......."herbal" grows.  Peppers seem to like almost the exact same environment/lighting.

here is a shot of my grow-box...18 CFLs that are changed according to the growth stage...am pushing 54K lumens total for 16 ft2 ...the height of the lights is adjustable...

010511a001.jpg

and a picture of my "Grow-rage"

GrowragePanarama01-27-11.jpg

Damn son!!! thats pretty epic! I actually revised my plan a bit......added 4 85w cfl's @ 6500k to replace 4 of the 42's, bringing me to just shy of 610 watts for 5sqft.

just a hint for you....check the Kelvin rating in lumens for the bulbs...then calculate the total lumens...lumens is what counts not watts....you can have a bulb with a higher wattage be out "Lumened"  by a lesser wattage bulb....or am I telling you something you already know?

AlabamaJack said:
just a hint for you....check the Kelvin rating in lumens for the bulbs...then calculate the total lumens...lumens is what counts not watts....you can have a bulb with a higher wattage be out "Lumened"  by a lesser wattage bulb....or am I telling you something you already know?

Im ALWAYS shopping for new information! Do we know of a way to calculate lumens based on watts and kelvin? I cant seem to find any info on the bulbs.

lumens is the light intensity...more lumens, more light...

kelvin is just the "color" of the light....the part of the spectrum denoted by a (X)XXXX number...2700K color temperature (red) and a range on up to the blue (~6500)...

a bulb with a lower Kelvin number produces more lumens/watt than a higher kelvin number. i.e. 2700K is 67 lumens/watt and 6500 is 63 lumens/watt

on each bulb (or the packaging) will be different bits of information....watts, lumens, color temperature....these are the three key pieces of information...

here is an advertisement for a 42 watt CFL..you will see lumens/watt (or total lumens), equivalent watts (in the case of a 42 watt CFL, that is equivalent to a 150 watt incandescent), and color temperature (usually in Kelvin...if it is in nM simply divide 3,000,000 by the nM to get ~ Kelvin...nM may be easier for you to understand/use, but I use Kelvin for color temperatures...either way is right...

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/6826/FC42-S27.html

can you read anything on the base of the bulb?....the ceramic part below the coils...it should tell you what it is

Back