• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Starting an indoor grow

wow...you are going to have light enough for a lot more than 5 square feet....

Hells to the yes! Haha I may not use all of the 42's depending on spacing and heat, but probably 2 85's and 1 42 on each side of the ufo.

AlabamaJack said:
@ ikeepfish

well, we will have to agree to disagree...through all the research I have done on lighting, the spectrum of light plays the key part in plant growth...and the plants need different parts of the spectrum during different stages of growth...

blue light (400-520 nM, equivalent to ~5700-7500 kelvin) - peak chlorophyll absorption that is best best for vegetative

red light (610-720 nM, equivalent to  4100-4900 kelvin) - peak chlorophyll absorption that is best best for flowering/fruiting

plant-lighting-spectrum.jpg

I know this is very important to the 420 grows and the principle is the same...that's cool if you don't believe the research...

chachie...have you read any of my old threads about lighting and how I am set up?

Admittedly, I am not a lighting expert, but I does read a lot. And love good grammer.

Anatomical features of pepper plants (Capsicum annuum L.) grown under red light-emitting diodes supplemented with blue or far-red light.

Most pot growers who can deviate from rigid paradigms are moving toward complete or mixed lighting (2/3 HPS, 1/3 MH), for flowering at least. Many still use blue dominant for veg, but that is to control plant structure on indoor plants. Plants flowered strickly under red dominant light will produce a heavier yield, but with lower quality. Mimicking natural sunlight is the goal, much as stated by the cartoon doctor above...

Right

AlabamaJack said:
just a hint for you....check the Kelvin rating in lumens for the bulbs...then calculate the total lumens...lumens is what counts not watts....you can have a bulb with a higher wattage be out "Lumened"  by a lesser wattage bulb....or am I telling you something you already know?
Disagree. 
You can throw a milliion lumens in green light at a plant and it will be reflected, not used by the plant. 
Watts is how fast your meter spins. 

Sluggy said:
Disagree. 
You can throw a milliion lumens in green light at a plant and it will be reflected, not used by the plant. 
Watts is how fast your meter spins. 

I suppose I was not clear....It was assumed that he knows to use red and blue spectrum based on the spectrum analysis I posted....and I understand watts is what is used to calculate your bill...however, my point was that Lumens of the blue and red spectrum is what really counts....and is that watts is not always the best judge of which bulbs to use...each style of bulb whether it be incandescent, fluorescent, CFL, HPS, or MH differs in the efficient use of power....

but if you wish, we can continue to agree to disagree

well different wavelengths of light are weighted differently based on the human eye response. So lumens are a pretty bad measure for leds. saying lumens of X light is kinda dumb. you could have lots more energy in red, but because its weighted differently than yellow actually have less lumens.

see this table
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/vision/efficacy.html

so the best way to measure would be radiant flux watts of output power. (not watts consumed)

this is way more complicated than the op asked for originally so we can just discuss it in the light 101 sticky.

OK...if I'm wrong, so be it...

my method has worked for me and that's what counts...

I have said time and time again, what works for me may not work for you...

my simple mind uses lumens as an indicator of how much light the plant will get based on the kelvin spectrum...

and if I am wrong, please tell me and I will stop advising people...

Back