• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Starting Fresh

Since my dive into the world of peppers has been kind of rocky, (all the seeds i have planted either havent sprouted or sprouted and died) I have one last option I am trying, I have a few plants being shipped to me now, These state to be the butch t scorpion. Since I made a noob mistake of not researching at a place like this before I thought I would try now, I am still hopefull my remaining seeds are just slow growers but im not holding my breath, when the new plants arrive what would your suggestions to a un educated grower be to help these plants along to hopefully get at least a few super hots growing, food, fertilizer, water any tips would greatly be appreciated, and I admit defeat, I can grow the common peppers here but i know nothing of the super hots.

Thanks

same here, I have struggled also w/ exactly same results as you, but I'm not quitting, I'll be watching your post you get to help me also

Read everything here that you can. Look at lots of grow logs. Germinating is sometimes difficult with super hots and beginners. Takes a little patience and learning from your mistakes. Soon you'll be popping seeds in under a week. Keep on trying. Your new plants will possibly need some recuperation time from their travels. Baby them in the shade a day or two. Then pot them up to their new home.

Good luck with your season

Its all about your soil. Get a good potting soil and plant them in 6 inch pots, then transplanting them into a bigger container as soon as they get root bound. Just give them water. If you get the right potting mix you will need a little fertilizer here and there.

Any suggestions on a good store bought mix, I have tried a few different ones but was wondering if that might be my problem, maybe these little hot buggers need something different.

The methods I use works AMAZINGLY. I plant the plants/seedlings in miracle grow potting mix and about every 3 months, I use miracle grow plant feed I think it's called. I drench the plants every morning and every afternoon because I live in Arizona and its getting up to 110 degrees now. Since you're in Alabama I suspect that it's about the same for you. My Thai chile plants now have about 20 chilies on each plant and they're only about a foot tall. They ripen VERY fast. Hope I helped. :)

P.S I am not advertising for Miracle Grow. That's just what works best for me...

The methods I use works AMAZINGLY. I plant the plants/seedlings in miracle grow potting mix and about every 3 months, I use miracle grow plant feed I think it's called. I drench the plants every morning and every afternoon because I live in Arizona and its getting up to 110 degrees now. Since you're in Alabama I suspect that it's about the same for you. My Thai chile plants now have about 20 chilies on each plant and they're only about a foot tall. They ripen VERY fast. Hope I helped. :)

P.S I am not advertising for Miracle Grow. That's just what works best for me...

I have used miracle gro fertilizer and potting mix. So far I planted some chiles in some mg potting mix and they are yellowing. The same mix I planted cherry tomatoes in and they are thriving and fruiting!!!!

It goes to show just how different plants are.

I may get different soil and replant each plant.

try starting in coco coir pellets. you can order them from burpees. you can also try regular jiffy pellets. i like the coir better myself. fortunately i live in florida so starting inside isn't really necessary, i just wait till the weather is in the 70s and put them outside in a seed starter tray with the greenhouse lid gimmick. i put them where they get a couple of hours of sunlight a day, so they can warm up and get the humidity going. but you don't want too much direct sunlight or your seedlings will cook. believe me my first try ended this way.

wait till they get 1 or 2 true leaves and the roots are shooting out the bottom then take off the netting and transplant into a 16 or 20 oz solo cup. i use jungle growth professional mix right now because they were out of the organic at lowes. it works great. very good drainage. the plants seem to do well in it and it's full of organic matter and feeds for up to 3 months i believe (not if you water every day). i like growing organic and i've had luck with jobe's organic fertilizer i use the fast start for veg then the tomato mix for fruiting. works well for me. some worm casting tea or simple compost tea never hurt anything either. just don't over do it. its way better to have too little nutrients than too much.

make sure you don't over water. stick your finger down in the soil and check it. if your checking the pellets just pick them up. when they are paper light they are dry. water the pellets from the bottom. not the top. put them in the tray with water at the bottom and let them soak it up that way.

just look through the growing forum on this site you will learn alot. i learned from mostly trial and error before i discovered this site. peppers are really easy to grow compared to a lot of other vegetables. just keep up the good fight. and good luck.

The plants are coming from, I belive the name is california seed and garden, I have never ordered from them before so my fingers are crossed they are the right plants.

I made sure it wasnt, luckily I read the review here on them and was thankful i did afterwards. On a up note, my serano peppers that i planted from seeds last week are already starting to reach for the sky, they have been in the pots for 8 days now and this morning I had 10 little guys waiving at me, Its not the super hots but at least i know It wont be a complete bust with the seeds I started

Back