• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Starting jalapeno in MN

I just got some NuMex Vaquero from NMSU. Anybody know when they would start these in MN? Also some orange habaneros. Muskie, u perhaps growing either of these also?

Howdy Neighbor,

Looks like your in the same climate zone as myself, last frost somewhere around the second week to the end of May,

my general roll is subtract 10 weeks and go for it. a little soon if you have access to sun a little later with grow lites, they tend to stall with the lack of intense light.

For what its worth,

Cheers, SC

i would start the habs now and i think you would be safe on the jalapeno in a couple of weeks - or just do them both now - how about march 1, then you will have a start date that is easy to remember.

I was just at Wal-Mart and according to their chart hanging by the seeds, June 15th is supposed to be the safe date to plant in the garden. I may even start some more bhuts this week. I didn't have very good luck on germination of my first ones. Only got 6 out of about 20 seeds that germinated and may have to chuck 2 seedlings. They don't look to good. The germination problem I think was my fault though, not seed viability.

Wow that seems, late.

Gestation period on some hot peppers can be substantial 90 to 100 days maybe more.

I have run into that issue before.

How many growing days do you have in your region?

SC

Wow that seems, late.

Gestation period on some hot peppers can be substantial 90 to 100 days maybe more.

I have run into that issue before.

How many growing days do you have in your region?

SC

This is the first time I have grown anything. Looking at the chart on this website below we should have about 140 days in our season. This site says the end of April is the last frost. Not sure where Wal-mart gets their stats.

http://www.almanac.com/content/frost-chart-united-states

That's a little more like it, thought I think it may be closer to 125 in any case maybe start hardening about the second week of may. plant 1st of June

Hardening: Getting them accustom to the intense sun rays wind and other elements, they will handle the transplant shock easier.

SC

I'd start them now, both habaneros and jalapenos. The middle of June date is because night time temps need to be in the 50's for a week before you can safely put peppers outside. You can take them out and harden them up but bring them in at night until temps get up where you want them. Starting them early lets the plants get to a good size before they go outside. We do have a short growing season so any little thing we can do to help production is a benefit. If you grow the super hots you will be starting them in late Dec or Jan. They need a longer time of growing so we have to give them an advantage.

+1 what pepperfever said.

Launch all boats. From my limited experience, playing around with jalapenos inside and looks like at least 8 weeks makes a viable plant that I would consider moving outdoors. (I think 12 weeks will be better for me.)

Worst case, you get some big plants sooner than you planned and might need to pot up and shuffle outside and inside until you hit the sweet planting in the ground time. Probably June-ish in MN. (Just guessing)

For the varieties taking longer to grow, consider putting a couple in containers and bring them inside in October. Or grow and pull from the ground before they freeze and overwinter a few that may not make it to full maturity this year. Big headstart next year.... :cool:

I do plan on growing in 5 gallon buckets this year. I have a big heated garage I can move them into when needed. I currently have 4 bhuts and 3 red scorps that are doing well so I should at least get a few to maturity. That was an idea I had, if the new ones I'm germinating don't make it to full maturity then I could at least have some to overwinter for next year. Plus, more plants to learn from throughout the season. Thanks for the thoughts and tips.

Back