• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Starting seeds in an egg incubator !?

Since I live on a farm and have chickens, I also have an incubator.
Would this be a good way to start seeds?
Perhaps put the seeds in a wet paper towel in a ziploc in a thermostatically / humidity controlled environment?

If so what temp should I shoot for/

Thanks
Kim

Fire Angel said:
Since I live on a farm and have chickens, I also have an incubator.
Would this be a good way to start seeds?
Perhaps put the seeds in a wet paper towel in a ziploc in a thermostatically / humidity controlled environment?

If so what temp should I shoot for/

Thanks
Kim

Mid 80s. 85-86

Can I put them straight in the potting mix in tiny cups or do you think I should sprout them in damp paper first?

Thanks
Kim

I would just put them straight into seed raising mix and mist them every day, those incubators have humidity control right?

yea, they have a water reservoir in them that keeps the humidity high.
I was just concerned about fungus, or damping off.

K

Fire Angel said:

K

If the incubator doesn't have good air circulation, damping off can be a problem. Use a sterile commercial seed starting mix, or sprinkle a wee bit of baby powder or baking soda on top, or water with chamomile tea.

You don't have to germinate the seeds before planting them, although some people prefer to do it that way, or else soak them for 24 hours before planting. I just stick mine in the dirt.

Fire Angel said:

K

A little bit of hydrogen peroxide in the water will stop mold as well.

This is not a new idea, btw, people have been doing this for years and it works wonders (just remember to harden it off later on)!!! Definitly post some pics for us!

Fire Angel said:
Hey Cheezy -

What type of container would you recommend?

I actually use egg cartons. I need to take pics, but the ones from meijer are clear plastic and actually have a built in tray.

I poke holes in the egg containers and set it on the tray with 1/4 inch of water or so in the tray.

Add the heat from the incubator and you will have sprouts in no time!

I use the plastic jello or fruit cups with kids I have a huge supply of them I poke holes in one cup and snip pieces of plastic straws in a second one and put the one with holes on top -- or if you are crafty you can put the cups with holes in an other container sort of like a DWC

An incubator works famously for germinating seeds.
I live off grid. I start all my pepper seeds in sanitized plastic petri dishes in a 12v incubator.

I start all my seeds in dirt sitting on a seed starting mat. You people make it too much work.

I start my seeds in potting soil sitting over top a light I'm using for seeds that have already germinated! I was going to use a waterbed heater as a heat mat but haven't needed it.

Mike

Back