• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Starting seeds?

Hey all just curious if any of you have advice of the best ways to start seed? just getting into growing hoping to help myself out and learn from some of your experts :P 

I use a tray and a dome with vents on the top of the dome to control humidity and some jiffy pucks. I also soak my jiffys with water with a B vitamin solution once the jiffys have swelled i put the seeds in the jiffys and into the dome they go with vents fully closed to keep humidity high then add some light and a heat mat and watch the magic happen.

Once you see some growth you can slowly start to open the vents in the dome to lower the humidity and once you see roots from the jiffys pucks its time to transplant into a very small pot.

First time growing so im no expert but thats how i did it.

I used Rapid Rooters and Root Riot plugs this year and had 95% plus germination, along with fast times. The only draw back I see with those is that you need to move them into soil when they are very small. The nutes in the plugs is a bit weak, even for a seedling.
sb sprouts 0011.jpg

I just put some good potting mix into solo cups, pushed the seed into the soil, covered the seed with vermiculite, then covered the cup with plastic wrap. I opened up the wrap twice a day to let some fresh air in there to stop mold and whatnot. Germinated in 6 days with this method. Soil temp around 25C.

You'll probably get a dozen different best methods before this thread dies, but I've always had pretty good luck with peat ("jiffy") pellets and as mentioned above they do dry out fairly quickly (once the cover is removed, if you're using a "mini greenhouse"). 

I've had good luck with potting soil in small cups, egg cartons, old yogurt containers, etc.  I'm a cheap bastard.

I think moisture and temperature are probably more important for getting them to germinate than what they're planted in.  I use a light to warm them, usually keep them around 80 degrees whenever possible. 

Dorkasaurus said:
You'll probably get a dozen different best methods before this thread dies, but I've always had pretty good luck with peat ("jiffy") pellets and as mentioned above they do dry out fairly quickly (once the cover is removed, if you're using a "mini greenhouse"). 

I've had good luck with potting soil in small cups, egg cartons, old yogurt containers, etc.  I'm a cheap bastard.

I think moisture and temperature are probably more important for getting them to germinate than what they're planted in.  I use a light to warm them, usually keep them around 80 degrees whenever possible. 
Well i have to say i am a bit of a cheap bastard too lol, i was hoping to use a clear muffin tray from the grocery store and some good potting soil, you think that would work? 

Prehensile said:
I use Jiffy Trays and my homemade starter mix, use moist soil and keep a cover on em  no direct sun till they grow up a little.
No direct light till they grow up? How long/big before you give them some light?

CBarkley said:
I just put some good potting mix into solo cups, pushed the seed into the soil, covered the seed with vermiculite, then covered the cup with plastic wrap. I opened up the wrap twice a day to let some fresh air in there to stop mold and whatnot. Germinated in 6 days with this method. Soil temp around 25C.
I have seen alot about 25C being the magic temp for these guys. Any tips on keeping the soil that warm without a mat?

Hophead said:
I use a tray and a dome with vents on the top of the dome to control humidity and some jiffy pucks. I also soak my jiffys with water with a B vitamin solution once the jiffys have swelled i put the seeds in the jiffys and into the dome they go with vents fully closed to keep humidity high then add some light and a heat mat and watch the magic happen.

Once you see some growth you can slowly start to open the vents in the dome to lower the humidity and once you see roots from the jiffys pucks its time to transplant into a very small pot.

First time growing so im no expert but thats how i did it.
As far as i am concerned you have got some to sprout so you are a expert to me lol. No problems with mold/fungus before they popped? 

grimmpepper said:
I've always had luck with jiffy pellets. They dry out kinda quick,so,you'll have to water more often. I've also had luck starting seeds in happy frog potting soil. The key to germinating seeds IMO is getting the heat right.
See this is why i wanted to get your guys opinion most all the reading i had done said "Don't use peat or mostly peat" good to see that you cant always believe everything you read lol 

Does anyone soak seeds first? Seen many suggest a 24 hour soak in a diluted peroxide solution anyone try that? Any luck? Or would i just be better off planting straight into the soil?

Thank you all again for all the advice!!!!

You are over thinking it. Seeds are meant to sprout they naturally sprout without being cleaned in hydrogen peroxide. Put them in some soil and keep them between 80 to 90f. Once you see leaves put them in light.

#9 has it right, after they pop up they need light but, direct sun should be avoided until the cover is off, they will cook.  A Jiffy tray set-up is like 10 bucks and you get 72 seedlings in a small area(with 100% germ rate), if you use a good starter soil no nutes are need for at least the first 4-6 weeks.  I have left plants in my trays for 2 months just cause I didn't feel like potting up(lazy).

Prehensile said:
#9 has it right, after they pop up they need light but, direct sun should be avoided until the cover is off, they will cook.  A Jiffy tray set-up is like 10 bucks and you get 72 seedlings in a small area(with 100% germ rate), if you use a good starter soil no nutes are need for at least the first 4-6 weeks.  I have left plants in my trays for 2 months just cause I didn't feel like potting up(lazy).

I too have left things in peat pellets for 2 months and they lived. 

Seeds want to sprout.  It's their goal.  Just plant them in something and water them.  A clear muffin tray will work, but if it's like the clear egg cartons we get (plastic) you'll probably want to poke holes in the bottom so water can drain out.  Too much water will "drown" them and the seeds are likely to rot instead of sprout.  Over watering is probably the #1 cause of death, followed closely by over fertilizing.  They don't need fertilizer for several weeks after they sprout, and certainly not until they have the first set or two of leaves and even then I'd go super light on fertilizing.  Any decent potting soil will have enough nutrients to feed them for weeks without the need to add any fertilizer. 

It's really not that hard.  Even if you can't keep them at 80 degrees they'll still sprout unless it's freezing.  Cooler temperatures just slow them down a lot. 

Back