artwork Starting Small?

Hey all,
I am just starting into Internet sales, but I have been selling for a while through local craft shows and friends. I am now getting larger and I am getting worried about what I am seeing with Insurances, LLC or S-corp, Commercial Kitchens, etc. I would like to get a commercial kitchen in the garage, but I think Ohio has a Cottage industry Subsection in the food laws, and I think I am in that regulation now at this level. Can anyone help with what I need to be concerned with first, second, etc. I am also doing this Debt Free and want the buisness to pay for itself.

Thanks,
Richard

hey a fellow Ohioan....I'm sorry...LOL J/K...hot sauces, bbq sauces, meat rubs DO NOT fall under the cottage law. I have posted several things on this and the Ohio laws. You're in Cinci right?....Is Athens Ohio too far for you? I can put you in touch with a gentleman there that can help you from start to finish...product testing to labelling to bottling. There is a place in Athens called ACENET. Very good people. Very helpful as well. You will want to talk to Bill Justice there. Here is the phone number....740-592-3854..also here is their website as well....www.acenetworks.org I was going to use them but they are too far to drive all the time and I found one local to me...

Yes you do want to incorperate
yes you do want product liablity insurance
yes you do have to use a co-paker or a commercial kitchen
yes you want your product tested for longevity (shelf life)
yes you want to test (every batch) to be sure your ph level is ok

Also call the Ohio Department of Agriculture. Explain what you want to do and they will help keep you legal. You get caught selling your sauces that are home canned and there is hefty fines. Talk to them cuz they are there to help ya out! They will get you on the right track.

As for starting small. Yes start small. I have over 15 different products to make. I am hittin the market with 5 at first and then slowly bring the other products out.

if you have any other questions just fire away and I'm sure either I or someone else here will answer. I'm in Northern Ohio (about 26 miles south of Cleveland) and on the verge of becomming a legit commercial sauce maker.

hope this helps

Thanks Dyce,
My product is more of a sweet candied jalapeno relish than a hot sauce. Still sounds like it may be out of the cottage industry rules from what you are saying. I will definetely look into ACENET. Maybe I can locate someone here in Cincinnati. Thanks for the awesome info.

your welcome. I spent alot of time researching and talking to different agencies and people so if you need any other help don't hesitate to ask. I'm no expert but I will try to help. From what the ODA (ohio Dept. of Agriculture) told me there are not that many products that fall under the Cottage Laws..

As for finding someone in Cinci...Again call the ODA (they have a list but you have to ask otherwise they won't tell ya) Also check with your local health dept. and the FDA. They will all help you as much as they can.

Well I talked to the Ohio Dept of Agriculture yesterday. They say that I am on the line of a cottage industry. My product is more of a relish / Jam spread, which is kind of tricky with the laws. So I am looking at keeping it small and then working into the larger aspects. I will keep you informed.

Ohio is one of 3 states I know of with state run commercial kitchens for agricultural products. I think they were started for the amish and menonite populations. can't tell you where they are or who runs them, just that they exist.

rwaddell50 said:
Well I talked to the Ohio Dept of Agriculture yesterday. They say that I am on the line of a cottage industry. My product is more of a relish / Jam spread, which is kind of tricky with the laws. So I am looking at keeping it small and then working into the larger aspects. I will keep you informed.

I guess there is a fine line. Good luck with it!!!

Back