• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

STC3248, Just Another Grow Log! Holiday Harvest!

Still waiting on the supers...but the rest are sprouted and under lights. This will be my first attempt at supers. Fingers crossed. I am so lost in the labels. I don't know how some of you keep them all straight??? I know I got most of them right...but had a couple random seeds pop up under the starter pellets...lolEdit: This was my STARTING listJalapenoBlack CobraMucho Nacho JalapenoBellPoblanoCaribbean RedChocolate HabaneroAnaheimCayenneTrinidad ScorpionBhut Jolokia Red/Yellow/Chocolate/White/PurpleFataliPequin ChiapasAmigo Diablo Bombay MorichDorset NagaLg Yellow 7 Pot7 Pot RedDouglahBishops Crownand OrnamentalsHere is the FINAL revised list! lol yeah right! Got some slow movers on here...GREEN: planted last night 3 February...didn't soak, so they may take a bit longer than normalORANGE: Planted 25 JanuaryBLUE: Planted 13 JanuaryBLACK: Planted 5 JanuaryFish 0/2Wild Brazil (Cumari) 0/2Tepin 0/2Aji Omnicolor 0/2Yellow Scotch Bonnet 0/2Goccia d'Oro 0/2Red Lantern Habanero 0/2Brain Strain 0/2Billy Boy Douglah 0/2Peruvian White Bullet Hab 0/2Kaval F-1 0/27 Pot Primo 0/27 Pot Monster Infinity 0/2Devil's Tongue Brown 0/2Bhut Jolokia Orange 0/2Black Naga 1/2Bhut Jolokia Purple 4/4 Bhut Jolokia White 4/4 Bhut Jolokia Red 4/4Bhut Jolokia Yellow 2/4 :whistle:Bhut Jolokia Chocolate 4/4 7 Pot Red 4/4 7 Pot Lg Yellow 4/4 Fatali 4/4 Chocolate Hab 4/4 Bishops Crown 4/4 Pequine 4/4 Trinidad Scorpion 3/4Established Plants:Caribbean Red x5Black Cobra x6Jalapeno x6Mucho Nacho Jalapeno x8Cayenne x6Bell x4Poblano x3Anaheim x3
SD530668.jpg
SD530717.jpg
SD530719.jpg
My 10 year old is responsible for the artwork on the cups!

Amazing harvest and food pics, as usual! You are definitely catching up to Jamie on the volume of your harvests. The size of that Bishops Crown plant is incredible. Might just give Jamie's mystery plant a run for it's money!

Would you be willing to share your recipe for the roasted tomato and green chile sauce? I know you probably don't use exact measurements, but maybe an ingredient list and basic ratios?

Oh, and I love the way you managed to sneak some pork fat into that venison meal. Everything's better with bacon, isn't it?
Ya, it sure beats H@&& out of the taste of Venison fat... especially if they've been feeding on Acorns! Though that's probably a New England thing... If we need to do any barding during roasting to keep the meat from drying out or when making venison sausage, we use pork fat.

Yeah, even though I used to work in cardiac rehab. and teach people how bad it was for them, when it comes to flavor, I'm with Emeril, "Pork fat rules!"

Another amazing chili weekend brother. Sometimes I wonder if you have more hours in the day than the rest of us :rofl:

Between the venison, harvests, powder making, sons football, glogging like no other,and keeping the wife happy you never stop amazing me :dance: :dance:

Oh and you don't owe me anything. All the yummy powders you have sent me and seeds I owe you :party:

I have 4 manzanos. The one with the pods in 15gal. I have yours that looks like it had forasium wilt. And two other ones still in 1gal. $7.99/lb. my store has it for $4.99. So I got a couple lbs 3 weeks ago. Hope they ripen for u to end your manzano fix...

Denniz

Can we vote on who has the best glog........Wow man, you grow'em, slice'em, dice'em.
I want to see you in the "Throwdowns" and if I enter....you'll still get my vote....ha
Shane your plants are kicking arse.........I remember a few stumbles in the road with the
aphids, hail, and the mottling......your plants have fought back with a vengence!
That vension looks great and I bet it taste awesome...
Its always enternaining here never a dull moment

Greg

Ya, it sure beats H@&& out of the taste of Venison fat... especially if they've been feeding on Acorns! Though that's probably a New England thing... If we need to do any barding during roasting to keep the meat from drying out or when making venison sausage, we use pork fat.

In Michigan it really depends on where you get the deer. In the northern parts of the state they eat more pine and stuff, definitely taste more "gamey". However, in the mid to southern parts of the state they feed of soy beans and corn. Wonderful. With all that being said, my dad usually throws in some pork when he's grinding up the venison for burger.

Awesome pics Shane - I love the pepper powder bandit shot. Made me laugh. And I think I see some of those Jamaican Hot Yellows we've talked about. Those do look a lot like what I have.

Great posts - glad I could catch up!

crazy harvest shane and foods makes me :drooling: :drooling: :drooling: , as for your powders im enjoying them, hopefully more to come :party: :party:

thanks again
eric
Thanks brudda! Means a ton coming from a Chef such as yourself! I've seen your work and it makes mine look amateurish! Will be holding another powder contest soon...just trying to stack up some powder so I have enough to share.

I need to come over for that barbecue goodness....
Really not sure it would be worth your trip! It sure was good though! Thanks man!

Hi Shane, we're going to have to work out some kind of exchange program! Great looking pods and food. I take my hat off to ya!
Lol...I would love to share some of what I got man! You just got to come over and pick it up! Thanks man...and you never have to take your hat off in my house!

That food definitely doesn't look bad. ;) It's rare when there's a picture of booze in the foreground and my eyes still immediately wander to the mouthwatering fare in the background Are those huge yellow pods second from the left on the bottom row the annuum scotch bonnets? They look like stuffing peppers!

Thanks Matt! Glad you stopped in. Yes those are the ones that were labeled Scotch Bonnet when I got them, but I now think they're Jamaican Hot Yellows. Was disappointed with them at first, but no longer! They are crazy producers and have amazing heat and flavor for an Annuum. You can taste a hint of Chinense in there too. They are hot enough that when a guy from work tried a small one he ended up in the restroom heaving it back up. Most are the size of small bells and are great stuffers! Very thin walled and crisp...have I mentioned I like them??? lol
Here's a pic of one of the plants and some pods...
P1020056.jpg

This is just a small part of a huge thick bush! All loaded like this.

P1020064.jpg

Here are a few ripe pods, pretty big variation in pod size.

Now for an update on the seeds you sent Matt!
P1020054.jpg

I have 3 going...the two in containers look like this. Great little bushes and still growing like crazy.

P1020055.jpg

A little upskirt on her...first Scotch Bonnets baby!!! :dance:

Amazing harvest and food pics, as usual! You are definitely catching up to Jamie on the volume of your harvests. The size of that Bishops Crown plant is incredible. Might just give Jamie's mystery plant a run for it's money!

Would you be willing to share your recipe for the roasted tomato and green chile sauce? I know you probably don't use exact measurements, but maybe an ingredient list and basic ratios?

Oh, and I love the way you managed to sneak some pork fat into that venison meal. Everything's better with bacon, isn't it?
I do love food, once I retire and I'm no longer forced to stay in shape I'll probably balloon up on the far side of 300! Both of my BC's are huge. The inground is about a foot taller, but the container BC is bigger than any of my other ingrounds. Very impressive plant, hope the pods are good! May make the 7' mark if it stays healthy. Right at 6' now...the sleeper is going to be its late start neighbor the Aji Amarillo. Think its going to pass it up at some point, but its only about 2.5' right now.

The green chili/tomato sauce was made with about 2/lbs of tomatoes (hard to give you a # since many were cherries) and 6 large roasted/peeled/seeded Big Jims. Smoked it all for only about an hour on 175 and the cherry tomatoes started to fall through the screen. I threw it all in the FP, added a little onion and garlic powders and a little salt. Only hit the pulse button a few times. If I were to do it again I would have thrown in a couple small onions and cloves of garlic. I also should have peeled and seeded the tomatoes. Not something I was willing to do with maybe 50 cherry tomatoes though. I will make another batch shortly and try to keep better track for you.

Venison fat is much different than pork fat. Pigs and Cattle store most of their fat mingled in with the muscle tissue. Deer build up layers under the skin. It cooks much differently too...and to be honest is just plain YUCK! Have to add bacon!!! Its really not too terrible for you unless you actually eat the bacon too...which I did! :shh:

Only way to go!!!

Another amazing chili weekend brother. Sometimes I wonder if you have more hours in the day than the rest of us :rofl:

Between the venison, harvests, powder making, sons football, glogging like no other,and keeping the wife happy you never stop amazing me :dance: :dance:

Oh and you don't owe me anything. All the yummy powders you have sent me and seeds I owe you :party:
Yeah buddy! The harvests are going to be really good for a solid month...then steady (I hope) if everything is still alive! I use a lot of hours every day for sure. I am up at 3:30 and hit the hay around 11:00. On the weekends I sleep in 'till about 5 usually. I can't sit still for too long...I hit the glog when sit to cool off or while I wait for something to be done cooking. Keeping the wife happy is a relative term, I don't mess with the TV so she stays happy...ish! Brother, you've paid out way more than I've been able to pay back!

I have 4 manzanos. The one with the pods in 15gal. I have yours that looks like it had forasium wilt. And two other ones still in 1gal. $7.99/lb. my store has it for $4.99. So I got a couple lbs 3 weeks ago. Hope they ripen for u to end your manzano fix...

Denniz
Geez man...another sick one??? How much are you watering? That is a great price for Manzanos! I would jump all over them! I won't have a good Manzano harvest 'till probably September-October.

Can we vote on who has the best glog........Wow man, you grow'em, slice'em, dice'em.
I want to see you in the "Throwdowns" and if I enter....you'll still get my vote....ha
Shane your plants are kicking arse.........I remember a few stumbles in the road with the
aphids, hail, and the mottling......your plants have fought back with a vengence!
That vension looks great and I bet it taste awesome...
Its always enternaining here never a dull moment

Greg
:oops: Aww Shucks Greg! Thanks man! I have dabbled a little in the Thowdown discussions, and will do one when I see one I like. They debated an alternate cooking style TD then went with ramen instead. I love to cook, but some of those dudes take it to a whole new level. Plus, I gotta work on my final plate up photo skills. Don't think I haven't eyeballed your TD crown with some envy! Hmmmm...what's the August TD I wonder? There has been no shortage of plant drama for certain, makes for a great read I'm sure, but sucks to deal with! lol

In Michigan it really depends on where you get the deer. In the northern parts of the state they eat more pine and stuff, definitely taste more "gamey". However, in the mid to southern parts of the state they feed of soy beans and corn. Wonderful. With all that being said, my dad usually throws in some pork when he's grinding up the venison for burger.

Awesome pics Shane - I love the pepper powder bandit shot. Made me laugh. And I think I see some of those Jamaican Hot Yellows we've talked about. Those do look a lot like what I have.

Great posts - glad I could catch up!
The mulies out here feed on sage and desert scrub brush and can take some getting used to. The ones at my dads place are more corn and grain fed and taste delicious without much soaking or prep work at all.
The pepper bandit shot was my wife's idea. We were out of dust masks...felt pretty ridiculous but it was more effective than the usual 3m mask! Those are the ones! I've seen similar pods referred to as several different types of peppers...whatever they are I sure do like them!

Here are a few more pics from my unexpected trip home!
P1020053.jpg

Tri-color Variegata Pic doesn't do this little guy justice!

P1020059.jpg

Made another small batch of powder...first one 100% homegrown! Those are some already dried Pequin X pods in my hand...They're freakin HUGE! About 50/50 pequin x and Goat's Weed...powder is amazingly hot! The pequins almost certainly crossed with a chinense. I will be trying to sanitize some of the seeds from this guy as well as the Hot Yellow at season's end.

P1020058.jpg

Small harvest today, but I pulled most of the really close ones over the weekend thinking I might not make it home for a few days.

Glad I did come home today....found a little sumfin in da mailbox!!! A box from Dave (gnslngr)...
P1020063.jpg

Haven't tried them yet, they look pretty scary, but not as scary as the rest of the box! You see he sent me some seeds for the Monster Infinity...

P1020061.jpg

Inside this crazy looking wrapper!

P1020060.jpg

They all three look just plain terrible! OMFG! Don't remember what the other two are, have to double check the PM...

Thanks for all the kind words, sorry it took so long to reply, that hour in the day problem Jamie spoke of was an issue today. Was really great to come home to a nice surprise package...long day bro's and sisters. Hope yours all went well!

Shane

Hey, Shane - the Scotch bonnets look great - won't be long now!
Gunner sure did right by ya! Enjoy the heck out of that, man; the
monster infinity pod looks like it could bite you rather than the other
way around! Some of those pods in your harvest don't look too bad,
either!

Thanks brudda! Means a ton coming from a Chef such as yourself! I've seen your work and it makes mine look amateurish! Will be holding another powder contest soon...just trying to stack up some powder so I have enough to share.
i still have lots to learn to become the chef that i wanted to be, the foods i cook and sprinkle of your powders makes it more ONO :drooling: :drooling: :drooling:

i always bring this to any place i go, school, work, mall, beach to heat up my food

your smoke manzano in a small bottle of vodka :dance:
2012-07-16195105.jpg

Hi Shane,
WHEW! that was an information rich post... Lots goin' on at Chez Shane... The next time you make tomato/green chile sauce, try roasting the onions and garlic before adding to the FP. It irons out the rough spots, makes the onion really sweet and the garlic buttery. It's also traditional.
If I don't have the grill going I roast the onion on a gas burner on the stove until it's burned off the papery skins and really charred the outer layer, then peel off and discard the burnt layer and coarsely chop the rest. The garlic, I put individual cloves in a dry frying pan over medium heat with the papery skins on and turn occasionally with tongs until it gets dark brown spots on each side where it touches the pan. Peel and add to the FP. It really adds another layer to the flavors in sauces and salsas. Cheers!

Damn Shane, I don't check in for a few days and....BAM! 3 awesome harvest shots, a bunch of powder, kebabs, and salsa, man your kickin ass brother. Sorry to hear more plants are sick! Just got a pm from Gnslngr yesterday saying he sent a couple of things my way also.( YAY! :dance: ) I'm ready for the powder whenever you are
Shane just let me know. Hope your garden gets no worse and keeps puttin' em' out there for ya.

Emon

Hey Shane, is the [background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Tri-color Variegata an ornamental pepper, or and edible one? It reminds me a lot of the foliage on the Fish pepper. Speaking of Fish, that is the only plant I have growing that hasn't even begun to develop buds yet. Kind of disappointed in that one.[/background]

You people and your mold free pod harvests make me sick!! I'm going to just stop looking at glogs of people like you!

You know I'm just joking brother. Great looking harvests and great looking products of the harvest. Keep it up my man!! :clap:

Hi Shane,
WHEW! that was an information rich post... Lots goin' on at Chez Shane... The next time you make tomato/green chile sauce, try roasting the onions and garlic before adding to the FP. It irons out the rough spots, makes the onion really sweet and the garlic buttery. It's also traditional.
If I don't have the grill going I roast the onion on a gas burner on the stove until it's burned off the papery skins and really charred the outer layer, then peel off and discard the burnt layer and coarsely chop the rest. The garlic, I put individual cloves in a dry frying pan over medium heat with the papery skins on and turn occasionally with tongs until it gets dark brown spots on each side where it touches the pan. Peel and add to the FP. It really adds another layer to the flavors in sauces and salsas. Cheers!
There is a ton going on around here...I usually carmelize the onions a bit on the grill and saute the garlic the grilled onions a tiny bit in the bottom of the pot before adding the sauce. Mmmmmm got me hungry thinking about the smell...

Shane be very afraid of Daves sauce. I think he uses pure cap oil. My ass is still burning from over dosing on some of the xred sauce with some fresh Tamale's last night . Great going down just not , well you get the drift :hell:

Damn Shane, I don't check in for a few days and....BAM! 3 awesome harvest shots, a bunch of powder, kebabs, and salsa, man your kickin ass brother. Sorry to hear more plants are sick! Just got a pm from Gnslngr yesterday saying he sent a couple of things my way also.( YAY! :dance: ) I'm ready for the powder whenever you are
Shane just let me know. Hope your garden gets no worse and keeps puttin' em' out there for ya.

Emon
The hits just keep on coming around here! I'm having a blast for sure, be real careful with that package form Dave! I'm woking on the powder...gonna be just a little longer.

Hey Shane, is the [background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Tri-color Variegata an ornamental pepper, or and edible one? It reminds me a lot of the foliage on the Fish pepper. Speaking of Fish, that is the only plant I have growing that hasn't even begun to develop buds yet. Kind of disappointed in that one.[/background]
The leaves look similar to the fish, but with added purple variegation. Beatiful plant. My fish pepper was loaded up with pods before it got hit by the virus. I transplanted it into a container and it dropped everything leaves and all. Trying to make a come back...we'll see. I hear the tri-color has a decent flavor but its mainly an ornamental pepper. It and my explosive embers were meant to line my front walk in containers before the whole virus issue came up.

You people and your mold free pod harvests make me sick!! I'm going to just stop looking at glogs of people like you!

You know I'm just joking brother. Great looking harvests and great looking products of the harvest. Keep it up my man!! :clap:
I would gladly trade you a few moldy ones for my plants healthy again! Thanks for the props man...yours is gonna iron itself out. Have you tested your PH???

Shane be very afraid of Daves sauce. I think he uses pure cap oil. My ass is still burning from over dosing on some of the xred sauce with some fresh Tamale's last night . Great going down just not , well you get the drift :hell:
I sampled it last night...with some pizza. Really good with a nice even LOOOOONG burn. I had no issues this morning, but I went kind of easy on the sauce.

Thanks for stoppin by everybody! I'm stuck in the barracks again, so no updates for a bit!
Shane

Hey, Shane. Just decided to stop by and see what's goin' on.
Sorry you are stuck in the barracks again. That will save me
some time :D

Good news, buddy! Your Goat's Weed has started putting out
a few flowers :woohoo: none opened yet, but it looks
great in the 7 gal. root pouch - nice and erect. Potting up didn't
even phase it, or Fernando's Costeno amarillo! :dance: Will grab a
photo or two today...
:cheers: Here's to the Shanster! Thanks for sending those seeds, brother!

Even for all the casualties, you have some really nice harvests. Looks like you are quite the sevante in the realm of the kitchen and backyard BBQ. Everything looks tasty. I will be stealing the grilled Jap, diced and sliced idea. (I of course being the mad scientist I am, have to put my twist on it) I've grilled peppers before but never thought to slice them up into an actual dinner side.

Keep up the good fight Shane!

Another harvest wow man your plants are just rocking out. Those Monster Infinity look dangerous that is good sign that the burn will be felt after the during and after the consumption.

Back