• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

STEAK!!

I know y'all cook up some great steaks so post them up in here....

I'll start us off…

2A0ED1BD-D2AC-4837-B059-BC4B5A5E7F3C-2503-0000028C217DC777.jpg

Getting up to room temp
5CEB1C79-F948-44E9-BE04-09A165024C93-2503-0000028C4DF8B0A6.jpg

Throw it on the grill...

75802F73-6675-41CA-A63B-8A17D8AD9BB9-2503-0000028C723D3DBB.jpg

Steak, mashed taters with Five counties cheese waiting to melt on top, and some peez

4B17B40B-7530-45F5-8408-BB805BA6E55B-2503-0000028C96FD1E67.jpg

Juices flowing…
CD7F5AB8-4E8D-4E25-9552-0DB1000383DB-2503-0000028CA9E265A3.jpg

DE31B1D0-9B91-44DF-A903-CF03F6291D21-2503-0000028CBAEA6C48.jpg

Yum! What u got?

Jacob that steak is beef manna from heaven senor.

And looking at the cast iron marks on that steak reinforce a theory I have.

Cooking on or in cast iron may just yield the perfect steak.

Why?

Maillard reaction.

The pan seared crust is differnt' than direct over open flame be it a grill or a broiler/salamander.

Open flame can result in a charred bitterness that I personally don't care for but many do.

To me a cast iron seared crust takes it right to the edge but without burning and results in a sweeter more savory sear.

I know the gasser griller's and the charcoal and stick burners will disagree but my kung fu is strong on this one.

And cast iron is also the healthier alternative in that it doesn't produce the carcinogens associated with direct flame, be it, wood,

gas, or charcoal.

On that note...

I challenge y'all (Jay, Chris, HTH, et.al.) to take two steaks of the same cut and do one over open flame and the other in either cast iron or even a flat top griddle and post which one you prefer taste tested side by side for comparison.

TB it is a proven fact that to cook the perfect steak you should use CI to sear both sides then add a huge dollop of herbed butter then into a hot over to finish to perfection!  I do not know how to cook or I would cook a steak. :) 

Please always refer to this picture and my lack of ability to cook. Thanks!

ribeye_roast.JPG

Repost whore!!!!!!!!!

Seen it how many times?

I always wondered if you did that with reverse sear.

(or Photoshop ;))

Reverse Sear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ4xl7XJM08

The Hot Pepper said:
Reverse Sear
Very cool, I used the Chris wine technique....Oven heated to 425 then steak into the oven. Lower the temp to I think it was 275 and go until 127 pull and rest to 134ish...that is what I did in the picture above if I can recall

I am going to try that reverse sear. 

texas blues said:
Cooking on or in cast iron may just yield the perfect steak.

Why?

Maillard reaction.
TB, maillard is maillard, grilled or CI, the "browning" is the maillard reaction. Flame, CI, whatever... it's the heat that causes it. Open flame vs. CI yes there is a difference but both have a maillard reaction. Toast, coffee beans, pretzels... any browning from any heat source. Fancy name for browning.

The Hot Pepper said:
TB, maillard is maillard, grilled or CI, the "browning" is the maillard reaction. Flame, CI, whatever... it's the heat that causes it. Open flame vs. CI yes there is a difference but both have a maillard reaction. Toast, coffee beans, pretzels... any browning from any heat source. Fancy name for browning.

I disagree.

But too lit to offer a legitimate rebuttal.

To be continued.....

LOL...  okay well it's all maillard the steak doesn't know the vessel it's in, the heat causes the browning. Even french fries and fried chicken have maillard. It's just a scientific explanation to why foods brown when cooked certain ways and why that (supposedly) makes them taste better through chemical reactions with amino acids, sugars, etc.

The Maillard reaction, or its absence, distinguishes the flavors of boiled, poached, or steamed foods from the flavors of the same foods that have been grilled, roasted, or otherwise cooked at temperatures high enough to dehydrate the surface rapidly, in other words, at temperatures above the boiling point of water. These two factors, dryness and temperature, are the key controls for the rate of the Maillard reaction.
Boiled potato - blah
Roasted potato - guud

But why the flavor enhancement? That's what Maillard defines.

I couldn't imagine cooking a nice steak any other way then over hardwood. Unless your eating shitty steak then who cares press that thing in the George Forman waffle iron haha

I agree with Pookie on the one TB. The only differences between ci vs open grill sear is that you get a more complete sear with the ci but you don't get that smoky grill flavor. I"ll take open grill over cast iron.

JayT said:
I agree with Pookie on the one TB. The only differences between ci vs open grill sear is that you get a more complete sear with the ci but you don't get that smoky grill flavor. I"ll take open grill over cast iron.

What?

That ain't the JayWow I know.

Who are you working for?

A spy?

A mole?

And thats mole without the ' 

Somethin' is afoot in teh ether.

I'ma go back through this thread and slam a beer for every pic of a steak cooked in a pan.

I'll be drunkern' sheeit in no time flat!

never said I didn't cook em that way, just that I like them better the other way. It really isn't economical or convenient to use charcoal to cook one steak.

Back