• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Sterilizing soil.

Hey all,

I am thinking about using some soil I have stashed in the corner of the garden. The problem: about two months ago this soil was in pot that held seedling... these seedlings ended up holding thousands of aphids.... is this soil safe to reuse ? Can I 'clean' it up ? I have had no bug issues sense getting rid of the millions of aphids that infested my garden; is it already safe to use ?

All beta appreciated.

- Mega

Adult aphids will go dormant in freezing weather, and resurface when it warms up. Eggs also survive freezing weather. You have a prime hunting ground for ladybugs, assuming you don't mind letting them loose wherever you are going to put that soil for the winter. I personally just ordered ladybugs and will definitely let some of them loose in the house to get rid of the aphids on my overwinters. It freaks my son out that I'll bring bugs in, but I do make an exception for ladybugs. Besides, it's kind of amusing to see him react when I let them loose.... he he.... hehehe.... BWA HAHAHAHAHA!

Mix in some green chips from a tree trimmer or a whole bunch of fresh chicken shit. Cover it, air tight, with heavy plastic and BBQ them sumbitches.
Be careful not to melt the plastic. Think 6 mil plus.

Most aphids live their entire lives without even touching soil. Have you identified what type you had/have? Are you planning on using this soil indoors? If so, the best way to keep bugs out of your house is to leave them outside. Paying $ upfront is better than the $ you will spend on ladybugs,shipping,sprays,headaches,etc....

if you actually bring all the soil below 32 degrees the eggs and insects will die, insects that survive winter(in most cases) burrow down bellow the freeze line. there is a type of frog that can freeze and survive but if it freezes or thaws to fast they become fertilizer.

Thinking bout bringing the outdoors in. It'll probably be less costly in the long run to just buy some good potting medium and do as ABG says...compost that outdoor stuff through the winter. That pile will be steaming if you have the right mix of "green and browns"

Hey all,

I see my posts may have caused some confusion. My garden = my basement. This soil has lived indoors since me buying it about 2 months ago. I used it to pot up a bunch of seedlings in 4 x 4 pots. They then became the victims of aphids attack; that came in with my plants so i ditched the seedlings with the intention of ditching the soil. I haven't seen any bug return in my basement but I also haven't opened the bag... I guess it isn't sealed all that great so i figured if there were bugs they would be making there way out already. What to do ?

The bag:

302meu0.jpg

The now aphid free garden:

b5ocq0.jpg

Thank you again for your input.

- Mega

Adult aphids will go dormant in freezing weather, and resurface when it warms up. Eggs also survive freezing weather. You have a prime hunting ground for ladybugs, assuming you don't mind letting them loose wherever you are going to put that soil for the winter. I personally just ordered ladybugs and will definitely let some of them loose in the house to get rid of the aphids on my overwinters. It freaks my son out that I'll bring bugs in, but I do make an exception for ladybugs. Besides, it's kind of amusing to see him react when I let them loose.... he he.... hehehe.... BWA HAHAHAHAHA!

I moved over a dozen plants in buckets into my garage to let pods finish ripening My ladybugs came right in with them and all are doing fine. We have had many mild days and I move the buckets outsidethen back at night. We have had wintertime ladybugs show up on our window sills (inside and out) for years.

Back