• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Sterilizing your peppers

Until I can grow my own, I have to buy them from the stores. How do you go about sterilizing them so you can just eat one if you wanted to.

:welcome: to the forum. Depending on the sanitary condition of the store you purchase from you may want to wash them with a highly toxic, yet effective commercial grade cleaner....or simply a light soap and water wash like any other produce.

By "sterilizing", do you mean cleaning/cutting down on possible e.coli etc. prior to eating? Wash them with soap then rinse them with water. Then eat them...

as everyone else said.. rinse in gentle soap and water.. usually a good scrubbing should do it.. if your cooking them.. boil for a min or 2 .. should sterilize them.. i wouldnt suggest any chemicals to do that because it usually messes up the flavors

I never would have thought of washing them with soap, seems so weird to me. Just use a dish soap, like dawn? If I got water to a boil and put them in for a minute would that be ok as well?
I'm just new to buying peppers and have been really into them, but don't think I have really cleaned them before I ate them. Just a rinse under hot water in a strainer and then cooked them. I guess cooking them would kill bacteria, but with hot peppers that I might want to just eat raw I would need to clean them.

And by sterilizing them, I'm talking about killing anything on them that might be harmful to ingest.

There are VeggieWash solutions you can use to rinse your fresh veggies. Or, as many have said, a couple drops of dishwashing liquid in a large bowl of water, swish 'em around and rinse well.

Dawn/Joy/Costco detergents are super concentrated. There's an aphid remedy that says to use Ivory dw liquid. Ivory is much less concentrated the Dawn/Joy. I know some have used Dawn instead of Ivory and burnt their plants.

Since we're on the subject...
Many tomatoes, green peppers and such are coated with wax or oil substances to inhibit mold growth during shipping. I quickly rinse tomatoes and green peppers in hot tap water to melt/rinse away the food-grade wax or oil. If you drop said tomatoes in a bowl of hot water for a minute or so, then remove the tomatoes, you can see the residue floating on top of the water.

side note- We had MANY wildfires burning in our region this last summer. A couple days ago, I was talking with the produce lady at our local store, she showed me her hands after re-stocking the apple display. They were really dirty. She said it's ash on the apples from the wildfires this past summer. I usually wipe apples, but now will be giving them a rinse also.

Wild Fires reminds me of Mt. St. Helen - I sold Christmas trees that year and a LOT of the trees came from areas that were covered with Volcano ash.
We called them Charlie Browns Mt. St. Helen specials.
The customer had to hose them down before bringing them in the house...
Price for them was a little less.

Make sure you rinse any soap residue off really well.
I once knew some one who didn't rinse the soap/veggie wash off good enough and her dinner guests were soon standing in line to use her bathroom after dinner.
I guess she was getting behind in the dinner prep as her guests arrived...she tried to get caught up and screwed up with the rinse.
To make it worse she made a vegan (whatever) meal - you know-rabbit and squirrel food type stuff that normal food usually eats...
Rinse it good,I laughed for days when she tearfully told me the story.
I dodged the bullet,I had to work that night or I'd have been one of her victims.

Mt St Helen's Christmas Tree Specials! Smokemaster, I've heard a lot of different stories of St Helen's fallout, but this is the first I've heard of the Christmas trees. Totally makes sense...

and the dinner situation....even without the rinsing of the veggies....I think you lucked out missing that dinner. :lol:

Actually she was pretty good at making passable fake food (stuff that might have been good as a side with a chunk of meat).

Didn't try to pass off stuff as being a meat sub. or tasting like the real thing like the food shows do on TV.

No that big mushroom might have a similar texture to a hamberger but it tastes like a mushroom,NOT meat like the TV food shows try and say-your dinner guests will never know - ya,if they have no taste buds....or drank enough wine before dinner and smoked a ton of pot first...

A lot of people don't know that Wash. and Oregon are really big in the tree farming thing.

There are Auctions for millions of trees each year that result in what the U.S. pays for trees.

Actually,we probably could have charged more for the ash covered trees instead of less.

People came to the lot WANTING the ash covered trees.
A novelty I guess.
Other lots must have washed theirs off or not said anything about the ash on their trees or whatever.

People really came in saying their neighbor had a tree covered with ash and they wanted one too.

That ash was finer than flower.
Nasty stuff if you were unloading and un wrapping tons of trees for customers.
Fried and dried the heck out of your skin,eyes etc.

SM, yes, to the very fine dust... there are a tons of stories out there about the ash. Pantyhose over the carb...and Mt St H volcanic ash glass Christmas balls are GORGIOUS!!!!!!

People said they shook their trees of so they could sweep up the ash to save as a souvenir or whatever.

A couple customers that were around during a delivery collected ash from the semi trailer in ziplocks.

I saw ash samples being sold by vendors at the Fair grounds that our lot was on.

A few guys were getting Lava chunks from BBQ supply stores and pomice from homey Depote and making jewelry saying it was from Mt.St Helen.
Once the vendors heard us saying there was an interest in ash covered trees it was like super hot seeds are now,all the pepper joe types started hawking whatever they could in any way they could.
I made a lot of tips letting people know when a new shipment of trees were coming in if they came to buy a tree that wasn't covered in ash of the right size when they first came in.

Was Volcano glass the same as the Geodes they sold at the Grand Canyon when I worked there?

https://www.google.com/search?q=geodes&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=BW2oUPftCqS8iwL37ID4Ag&ved=0CHsQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=653

Really cool looking if you break open the right one.

I better stop hyjacking this before some one gets pissed. LOL

grass roots business-

when there's money to be made.... God Bless the US of A!

Yup,innovation and creative thinking is cool but the line must be drawn somewhere at times.

The line has to be drawn somewhere though,threats and outright lies don't fall into the equation.
To me,collecting stuff from the semi was OK but getting BBQ Lava etc. was wrong.

But then I guess it's up to the vendor as to what they want to do...

IS There really a DRY side of either Wash. or Oregon?
Or just a LESS wet side?
Inquiring minds want to know. :)

wa_precip.gif

Oh yea...there IS a DRY SIDE of Washington state.

and Oregon state, but i haven't lived there, so couldnt say for sure....

edit- red and deep orange on the geo map = dry it'sagoodthing

Now that I think of it,I lived on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon for 5 yrs. and people didn't believe we got snowed in during the early 70's for weeks at a time or that there are ski resorts north of Flagstaff.
They see AZ. as a desert state.

Like Utah , Colorado and Ca. (among other states) , they have some of the nastiest deserts and coldest mountains in the lower 48.

I've been in all but 3 of the 50 states when I had rigamortis thumb back in the late 70's(hitch hiked when it wasn't dangerous to hitch or pick up hitch hikers).
Glad I passed through most places when I did.
Things are too strange these days to do what I did and meet the people I did back then.
Different times....
Gotta get back to my Jambalaya ,Manzano for pods and smoked sausage.
Wild and white rice mix instead of just white rice to add a little bite/mouth appeal.

And back to topic....these 2 can go for pages, but we still love and keep them :rofl:

A simple rinse should be fine, although be warned if you get superhots that rinse will not cool them down :lol:

I never would have thought of washing them with soap, seems so weird to me. Just use a dish soap, like dawn? If I got water to a boil and put them in for a minute would that be ok as well?
I'm just new to buying peppers and have been really into them, but don't think I have really cleaned them before I ate them. Just a rinse under hot water in a strainer and then cooked them. I guess cooking them would kill bacteria, but with hot peppers that I might want to just eat raw I would need to clean them.

And by sterilizing them, I'm talking about killing anything on them that might be harmful to ingest.

Wash with Dawn (antibacterial preferably) to kill any harmful bacteria, whether you plan on cooking the peppers or not. If you buy peppers in a store, you are not the only one who touched them. You may know what you touched since the last time you washed your hands but you do not know about the other folks, nor do you know whether or not an infected bird pooped on the peppers. Be safe, be cautious. Just rinse the peppers under running water, then lather up with Dawn, then rinse under running water again, then eat them...

Back