• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Sterilizing your peppers

Wash with Dawn (antibacterial preferably) to kill any harmful bacteria, whether you plan on cooking the peppers or not. If you buy peppers in a store, you are not the only one who touched them. You may know what you touched since the last time you washed your hands but you do not know about the other folks, nor do you know whether or not an infected bird pooped on the peppers. Be safe, be cautious. Just rinse the peppers under running water, then lather up with Dawn, then rinse under running water again, then eat them...

I had never heard of anyone washing their fruit and vegetables with soap before. I just rinse everything in water. I used to pick raspberries off the bush in my garden in Scotland and eat them as I was picking them. It's what we have evolved to do.

You have two different risks that you need to be evaluated here. One is that you are going to be exposed to someone's germs from handling the fruit and vegetables that you buy from the supermarket. The other is that if you keep covering your fruit and veg with antibacterial soap every day, not all of it will get rinsed off and you are ingesting chemicals which may build up in your body and over the course of a life time do some harm. Some people buy organic / bio food, grown naturally without artificial pesticides or fertilisers so they can cut down on their long term exposure to harmful chemicals.

Now unless someone has a medical condition which means that their immune system is compromised, we all have an immune system which needs to be regularly exposed to the latest germs so that it can adapt . We also come in contact with those germs in other ways. For example, those same pair of hands that touched the fruit and vegetables in the supermarket could also have used the same supermarket trolley that you were using. If we on average touch our face 2-4 times a minute (5,500 times a day) or have cut in our skin then that's another way that we can get those germs.

If someone is worried about becoming patient Zero with some new deadly disease because some bird with bird flu came in contact with a pig with swine flu and then came in contact with your fruit, yes it can happen but the chances of it happening to you are negligible compared to the risk of say developing cancer later on in life because of the build up of free radicals in your body from excessive daily exposure to harmful chemicals.

If for some reason a person does need to be particularly wary of contacting any germs, then perhaps it would be better to cook all fruit and vegetables or put them under a UV light? Cooking will destroy any germs. There is no need to cover in antibacterial soap as well.

If yer really worried, just do as you would visiting Mexico.

A bit of iodine or bleach and water in a bowl, soak for a bit, rinse off.

If yer really worried, just do as you would visiting Mexico.

A bit of iodine or bleach and water in a bowl, soak for a bit, rinse off.

Keep in mind that a very large portion of the fresh produce you probably eat came from Mexico, especially peppers. I was just in Nogales, Sonora yesterday on one of every two month shopping trips. Yes, I wash up with soap and water when I get home, just like I do whenever I shop around Tucson. I've never felt the need to use iodine or bleach just because I was in Mexico.

By the way, I know every once in a great while there will be a recall of produce from Mexico. But over the past few years, most of the recalls that come to my mind involved growers in California and Colorado (spinach, lettuce, cantaloupe, etc.).

Depends on which part of Mexico.
When I visit relatives, it's at the far south of Oaxaca, and almost everything is grown locally on small farms.

My relatives there soak all fresh produce, I personally don't.
What don't kill ya only makes you stronger.

You'll have no worries, just flush it down your throat with this 'cleanser' !

8221335364_0e4f7dd8fc.jpg

I had never heard of anyone washing their fruit and vegetables with soap before. I just rinse everything in water. I used to pick raspberries off the bush in my garden in Scotland and eat them as I was picking them. It's what we have evolved to do.

You have two different risks that you need to be evaluated here. One is that you are going to be exposed to someone's germs from handling the fruit and vegetables that you buy from the supermarket. The other is that if you keep covering your fruit and veg with antibacterial soap every day, not all of it will get rinsed off and you are ingesting chemicals which may build up in your body and over the course of a life time do some harm. Some people buy organic / bio food, grown naturally without artificial pesticides or fertilisers so they can cut down on their long term exposure to harmful chemicals.

Now unless someone has a medical condition which means that their immune system is compromised, we all have an immune system which needs to be regularly exposed to the latest germs so that it can adapt . We also come in contact with those germs in other ways. For example, those same pair of hands that touched the fruit and vegetables in the supermarket could also have used the same supermarket trolley that you were using. If we on average touch our face 2-4 times a minute (5,500 times a day) or have cut in our skin then that's another way that we can get those germs.

If someone is worried about becoming patient Zero with some new deadly disease because some bird with bird flu came in contact with a pig with swine flu and then came in contact with your fruit, yes it can happen but the chances of it happening to you are negligible compared to the risk of say developing cancer later on in life because of the build up of free radicals in your body from excessive daily exposure to harmful chemicals.

If for some reason a person does need to be particularly wary of contacting any germs, then perhaps it would be better to cook all fruit and vegetables or put them under a UV light? Cooking will destroy any germs. There is no need to cover in antibacterial soap as well.

Free radicals from dish soap? Wouldn't the high vitamin C content (an antioxident) in peppers obliterate these dish soap spawned 'free radicals'?

Free radicals from dish soap? Wouldn't the high vitamin C content (an antioxident) in peppers obliterate these dish soap spawned 'free radicals'?

Or you can eat lots of pepper and have all the anti oxidants working instead on removing the free radicals that wern't put there by covering your fruit in chemicals

Behind the label: Fairy Liquid

LISTED INGREDIENTS
15-30% Anionic surfactants, 5-15% Nonionic
surfactants, Perfume, Geraniol, Limonene

So what’s really in the bottle? No one outside the P & G labs really knows. The ingredients label is woefully inadequate (see above) and P&G told us to find what we were looking for on the internet. After an extensive web search we did indeed find some - but not all - information on the components that make up Fairy Liquid.

- Aqua
- Sodium laureth sulphate
- Alcohol denat
- Lauramine oxide
- C9-11 pareth-8
- Sodium chloride
- 1,3-Cyclohexanedimethanamine
- PPG (polypropylene glycols)
- Dimethyl aminoethyl methecrylate/hydroxyproply acrylate copolymer cirate
-; Parfum
- Geraniol
- Limonene
- Colourant

Anionic and non-ionic detergents can cause irritation to the skin, eyes and mucous membranes. Some, such as the ethoxylated alcohols sodium laureth sulphate and C9-11 pareth 8, can be contaminated with the carcinogen 1,4 dioxane. Several of the detergents and perfumes are known allergens and sensitisers, likely to be made harsher by the skin-denaturing effect of sticking your bare hands into hot water. Using a dish detergent in hot water also creates another health hazard- chemical vapours. In hot water the chemicals vaporise and are inhaled as steam; and some of Fairy’s ingredients, such as 1.3-Cyclohexanedimenthanamine, can produce vapours that cause severe irritation to the eyes and respiratory tract.

According to Greenpeace, Fairy may also contain hormone-disrupting artificial musks, which are potential carcinogens and reproductive toxins both in people and wildlife- again, we don’t know for sure because P & G will not answer the simple question: does it or doesn’t it? In the absence of data, the precautionary principle applies- assume that it does.

Are you in the UK? I have never heard of Fairy Liquid but the article does not make it seem so appetitive. Are the same chemicals in Dawn?

Are you in the UK? I have never heard of Fairy Liquid but the article does not make it seem so appetitive. Are the same chemicals in Dawn?

Fairy Liquid is the leading brand in the UK although I have also found it being sold in Germany (I have a new bottle in my kitchen). Both Fairy Liquid and Dawn are made by Proctor & Gamble. I find it interesting that adverts often display pictures of clean dishes covered in bubbles and liquid detergent and so people don't make the effort to rinse their dishes afterwards. My mother-in-law never rinses her dishes afterwards and you can taste it when she gives you a cup of tea.

I can't find a break-down of the ingredients in the same way that I could for Fairy Liquid and it's worth bearing in mind that some of these ingredients can appear under different names. For example, when Aqua is listed, it's actually just water.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Ingredients_in_dawn_dish_soap

Triclosan, water, magnesium, sodium dodecylbenzene sulfonate, ammonium laureth sulfate, lauryl polyglucose, lauramidopropylanine oxide, SD Alcohol 3A, sodium xylene sulfonate, sodium chloride, fragrance, pentasodium pentetate, sodium bisulfite, quaternium 15, D&C Orange 4

Not rinsing is new to me as well. We were exposed to commercials in the 70s from dish cleansing product manufacturers who stressed a need to rinse until all residue was gone. I suppose it became the cultural norm. Different countries have different standards for using chemicals/drugs/foods for ingestion. It seems that they can be lenient on what they deem to be "safe". It happens here in the states as well. Thanks for the info and good luck with your growing.

-Mark

Back