• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stetto's '21, ok ok ok, SEMI-glog glog

I wasn't planning to do a grow log this year, too much going on and little time to devote, but I've had a real good seedling season, so I thought I'd drop in from time to time to glance around and give you guys n gals something to talk about...

SUPER small list this season, but germ rate was outstanding on some varieties, so whaddaya do?

Pubescens
Aji Oro Rocoto (spawn of Aji Oro OW)
Rocoto Rojo (from 2019 harvest)
Turbo Pube (from 2019 harvest)
Hyper-X Rocoto (Canedog)
Awesome Orange Rocoto (Canedog)

Annuum
Chimayo (Harry_Dangler)
Nambe Pueblo (Harry_Dangler)
Hernandez Hot (Harry_Dangler)
Big Jim Legacy (Sandia)
Serrano Tampiqueno (Sandia)
YOLO Bell (Tradewinds Fruit)

Overwinter
XL Brown Rocoto (Canedog)
Aji Oro (Bhuter)
Aji Oro (spawn of Aji Oro from Bhuter)

Tomato
Prairie Star (Harry_Dangler)

There are many of each variety, the germ rate was crazy good. I'm convinced the Frog Farm Ocean Forest soil contributed yugely to that.

The Hernandez Hot was the only one of the Annuums to limit me to one plant, and the Turbo Pube was the only Rocoto to resist germination, though I did get one to hook. It actually sprouted the same week as the others, but was stunted to where I almost pulled it. But today I found true leaves emerging, so...
turbo 1.jpg

For a little scale perspective
turbo 2.jpg

I'm curious how this little guy will turn out and how long it will take to do that turning out, but hey, it's the Turbo I got, right?

I'm super happy with my Aji Oro crop so far, I've had to cut a bunch out and I HATE culling more than just about anything, and yet there are still 2-3 plants currently in each and every pot. This one is a personal triumph. Backstory: I had a total of two helmet heads in this planting, one a Chimayo, the other this Aji Oro. I spent almost two weeks trying to keep them moist so they could figh their own way out, but at some point I lost patience or faith, one, so I mechanically tweezered the cotys loose. The Chimayo was stunted but otherwise a healthy plant, but he Aji Oro had no cotyledons, no bud, just a stump. I figured the plant had been helmeted too long and rotted inside the seed shell. Oh well, right? There are two healthy plants in the potlet anyway, no loss...

I thought that too, until this morning: 
aji oro stump.jpg

The tip started to grow a tiny bulb a couple days ago, I simply let nature persevere, as it is guaranteed to do...

I just don't know how you guys do it, cut out perfectly good though overpopulated exotic pepper plants. I have no problem thinning anything out, carrots, lettuce, bell peppers...But this is hard...

Also note there are no Baccatum or Chinense this season, heck, I already planted more than I should have... 

Hey Paul, that little Aji Oro stublette counts as a duck, no? :cool:

Ok, maybe a turkey or a goose, but it counts....right?

Those weather gyrations are crazy, Eric!
We left a week of cool, cloudy and damp weather,
and switched to a week old high 80’s and 90’s. Back
to more seasonable temps in a couple of days.

At least the aphids have mostly left me alone
so far this season. The combo of crazy weather and
aphids really hampered my grow last season. Still a
few thunderstorms to roll through I imagine. Just
hope to dodge any hail stones!

I hope your weather evens out and that your plants
respond accordingly. Keep the faith, bro!

Here are most of the ladies, where they'll reside for the next 7 days or more. The 20 gallon is in the office, and there's an Aji Oro on the dining room table. I haven't even finished planting all these Rocotos, though there are a few Rocoto Rojos and an Aji Oro planted out in the garden. One Oro succumbed yesterday, the other is not looking too healthy. The Rojos appear slightly more resilient out there, but compared to the Annuums not so much.

group photo 6-5-21.jpg

We reached 100 yesterday, are likely to repeat today, it's already 98 at just before 1:00.
I'm just hoping this week is it for freakish heatwaves. Summer doesn't begin for over two weeks.

Right now I'm wishing we had bought a lake home...

It looks like things are coming along for you. I have two Aji Oro Rocotos going this year. They're doing OK but always look a bit weaker/less green than the other rocotos. We'll have to compare later this summer.
Any plans on spending a nice weekend in Murderapolis? [emoji848]

skullbiker said:
It looks like things are coming along for you. I have two Aji Oro Rocotos going this year. They're doing OK but always look a bit weaker/less green than the other rocotos. We'll have to compare later this summer.
Any plans on spending a nice weekend in Murderapolis? [emoji848]
My Aji Oros don't have the same enthusiastic look as the rest, one Hyperpube is racing along at 3x what the others are. I don'know if the slack look of the Aji Oros is a physical trait or we dipped into the same lackluster seedlot.

The lady I gifted an Oro seedling last year said she got over 50 nice fat pods from it, but hers stayed in a hoop house all season and was pampered.

I'll spend a weekend in the cities when they open a hunting season on murderous thugs...

Temps are said to be moderating starting Friday. I certainly hope so. We did get an inch and a half of heavy lightning-charged rain last night, could use more, like once a week. Slapped my first mosquito of the season this morning, so they're finally back.

So, weather finally moderating and the garden Anuums have mostly survived. We're seeing a spread of mid-60s to mid 80s now, hope it lasts for a while.

The Chompin'AtTheBit Award goes to the Chimayos and Nambe Pueblos I received from Harry_Dangler. They began flowering enthusiastically @ 6 inches, and now @ 10 inches I have a few pods.

Chimayo 6-24-21.jpg

Chimayo 1st pod 6-24-21.jpg

Our moving plans continue to be a seat-of-the-pants affair, but we did decide to get a Pod and fill it with shit we want but don't need here.

Did I mention that we hired a hard-blues band to play here on July 3rd? We did. So y'all come, but bring your own...I can only supply so much Hamm's and Brown Derby...

CaneDog said:
Good to see your Chimayos are getting busy.

Yeah, it is.

I just discovered an infestation of aphids on every Rocoto plant I have. The bogus weather patterns earlier must have stalled out the predator emergence, I haven't seen one ladybug yet.

Not a real 'like' on that last post, Stett.
I feel your pain, brother! These weather 
gyrations are not nice.

We're heading to about 12 days of hot
weather, starting with 95 today - temps
above 105 for the weekend (113 forecast
for Sunday -what is this? F****n' Phoenix? -
then 8 days in the 90's.)

This is record-breaking in every sense. The
PNW has never experienced this kind of sustained
heat since records have been kept, I believe.
Certainly the hottest June on record.

@ Cane Dog - I guess we missed the June Suck
this season, eh?

Get those aphids, Eric!

CaneDog said:
Feel for you, stetto. Tough times, but good memories. 

Thanks, and yeah, it's tough.

PaulG said:
Right on, Doc. Been there, bro.

Yessir, and it just doesn't get easier, eh?

Walchit said:
When you go to Colorado do you take I-70? I'm right off the highway if so, hit me up.

Andy, we usually turn right at Omaha ad have dinner at Luigi's in North Platte every time we go to CO, it's kind of a tradition (besides it being a great bike town and Luigi's rawks!), but there still is no official route chosen for this next trip. I was planning on making a number of trips down, pulling a big-ass Uhaul, but there's now talk of filling a pod and having them store it till we get situated, so who knows...

It'd be great to meet up with you and have the honor of seeing your grill/smoker collection... :cheers:

What part of Co are you headed to? Check out a concert at the Mishawaka if you ever get a chance, EOTO is my favorite to see there, I was at this one
https://youtu.be/qykCS5V8goQ
I'm sure they have "normal" concerts there too though, Lol

I lived in Cheyenne for a few years around 1990, this place must not have been around then. We spent quite a bit of time in Ft Collins, Pioneer Pies, Debbie Does Donuts, but that was 30 years ago...Times have changed.

We plan to light in CO Springs, as far south of the place as I can talk the Darlin' Bride into. I'm promised a greenhouse as incentive, we shall see....

Back