• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Stevia plant..

glad you posted this topic, i had a package of stevia seeds in my hand a few days ago and considered buying it but then um and ah'ed over it and put the package back on the shelf until i read up more on propagating this plant. they wanted almost $4.00 for the package. i have never seen stevia plants here but health food stores sell it in dried form. apparently, it is a new happening plant - i am interested in it because i never heard of it before and like to grow herbs but apparently there is a stevia canada website, who knew?

i have given up on growing rosemary from seed and now just use clippings from my main plant that i purchased a few years ago.

i am in zone 3a, so it definitely would be an inside plant for me.
Hi burning colon
what color was the seeds ? the tanned color ones have a bad germination rate. if they were all black in color then they were good seeds with good germination rate. you should try them..

My stevia germinated within a week, I think it was having some fungus issues for starters, i poked at it and it fell over, but I stood it up and hoped for the best, and it is now growing fairly strong. Most of my herbs germinate within a week.
so hows your stevia seedlings coming along ??

I just had the one sprout, but I need to start more, it has a few sets of true leaves now, seems to be taking off growth wise now, should be ready for a pot up in a couple weeks, its too delicate right now. i'll get a pic up tomorrow.

Ok, a little late, but heres a pic of my little stevia seedling.

IMAG0327.jpg

Hi burning colon,what color was the seeds ? the tanned color ones have a bad germination rate. if they were all black in color then they were good seeds with good germination rate. you should try them..

sorry sri, i lost track of this thread, i don't know what colour the seeds are, they are sold in a package from a large seed corporation, since i have been able to go to our local grocery stores health food section and find all sorts of stevia products, and yes, their price reflects the so called "rare" value. i wouldn't pay for such a product.

Binch, is located a full hour plus flight away from me and in a completely different zone. where is is having nice moderate temperatures i am engulfed in -20C for my daytime high and 2-3 feet of frozen snow. one day, i hope to retire to his area, where i can grow grapes for wine, vegetables for food and fish for ocean halibut and salmon, and if i am feeling really adventurous, walk the pacific shore line and pick clams, then fresh seaweed for my garden and homemade fertilizer. from the fish i would catch, i could make a fish extract to add to my homemade fertilizer. whoooh, i am excited, better go to bed before my ticker gives out.

I'm still looking hard for stevia. My seeds had no luck but I was in a very hot place. Now I'm in a cooler place so hoping to get some luck this time.

sorry sri, i lost track of this thread, i don't know what colour the seeds are, they are sold in a package from a large seed corporation, since i have been able to go to our local grocery stores health food section and find all sorts of stevia products, and yes, their price reflects the so called "rare" value. i wouldn't pay for such a product.

Binch, is located a full hour plus flight away from me and in a completely different zone. where is is having nice moderate temperatures i am engulfed in -20C for my daytime high and 2-3 feet of frozen snow. one day, i hope to retire to his area, where i can grow grapes for wine, vegetables for food and fish for ocean halibut and salmon, and if i am feeling really adventurous, walk the pacific shore line and pick clams, then fresh seaweed for my garden and homemade fertilizer. from the fish i would catch, i could make a fish extract to add to my homemade fertilizer. whoooh, i am excited, better go to bed before my ticker gives out.
its ok Mark ... really -20 C ...wow. now its make sense eating the super hots. :) hehehe. i bet u can walk out naked! after a bhut jolokia..hehehe
how to you manage your hot peppers plants in that weather.!

I'm still looking hard for stevia. My seeds had no luck but I was in a very hot place. Now I'm in a cooler place so hoping to get some luck this time.
can you buy the plant at least ? for me so far ,non of my seeds succeeded. my plant is in a horrible condition its just continuously flowering and shrinking :((stem and leaves.)
still did not get the time to replant it.
anyway good luck.

I had great luck with my seeds, I have about 5 plants now i think, maybe 4, anyway, for the 3.50 i spent on seeds, 4 plants is still a better deal than the price they want for an established plant. However, the 3.99 they want for a 8 inch tall rosemary seems like a good deal to me, thats a tough plant to grow from seed, i have one that is a few months old and it is maybe 2 inches tall.

I had great luck with my seeds, I have about 5 plants now i think, maybe 4, anyway, for the 3.50 i spent on seeds, 4 plants is still a better deal than the price they want for an established plant. However, the 3.99 they want for a 8 inch tall rosemary seems like a good deal to me, thats a tough plant to grow from seed, i have one that is a few months old and it is maybe 2 inches tall.
congrats!!! 4 plants from seeds! stevia loves moist soil :) don't let it dry

Back