• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

Came home for lunch today and found lots of seeds in the mailbox...

From Trippa:
SANY0248.jpg

I'll have to look up the Po Cheong and Prik Luong. What's the NTR? Thanks Trippa!

From Aji Joe:
SANY0251.jpg

Thanks for the sweet pepper varieties Joe!

And my orders came in from Pepperlover.com:
SANY0249.jpg

and also from peppergal.com:
SANY0250.jpg

I only ordered the TS 7-pot large yellow from Judy, and she threw in Kerinting, wild tepin and Bradley's Bahamian as well. Gotta look those up as well now... I got the saltpeter from peppergal because she said it was helpful in getting the superhot seeds to germinate, even those that were getting a bit old from long storage.

I am growing the kerinting and large 7pot . My large 7 pot is ironically still small so can't comment on that in terms or pods etc.

But the kerinting is very prolific and has cool pod shapes and is very thin skinned and meant to be good for powders.

As for the Po cheong they are originally from the hippy seed co. And are upright pod growing annum which are quite seedy and have a rounded (not pointy) tip which almost looks like it has a dimple in it.

The Prik luang is originally from Jungle Rain and is an aromatic, mildly hot annum Thai native chilli. Drooping pod growth habit (much like Serrano) which ripens from dark green to a bright orange. Would also be a great addition to a powder or paprika in my opinion. Thicker walled then other Thai types I have seen

They all look good Trippa, I just wish I had the time and space to grow them all. As Jamie says... maybe when I hit the powerball...

Came home today to see some seeds in the mailbox from DannyD:
SANY0253.jpg

Peruvian Purple ornamental and Firecracker Cayenne. Thanks Dan!

stickman are you going to grow all those seeds, nice! BTW I like the "Chickpea Curry" recipe you posted in "cooking w/fire." While I've not tried to cook it yet, I do a few curries (chicken, rice, meat) and I'll have to give it a go one of these days :)

Hi WalkGood, thanks for stopping in! I wish I could grow all the seeds I have, but that would take a much bigger garden than I have! lol
My pepper space this past year was about 6 x 30 feet... two double rows of chiles with a path in between them. I may be able to squeeze in a few more by putting them in pots and setting them out next to the house, but that's about it. The rest of the garden is needed for growing other vegetables. Still, every year is an adventure with some new varieties. Last year was Mexican and Korean chiles and my first Chinenses... a couple of Orange Habaneros. Next year I plan on growing a couple different varieties of Habs, 7-pot yellow, Orange Manzano and an assortment of sweet and hot Hungarian and Balkan peppers. Up here in zone 5 we like the short-season varieties, but I'm going to give the rest a good trial!

I am in the same boat with a small garden space, and trying out a few new varieties every year works out great. Even if I make sauce all out through the course of the year I'll never use all of the pods I grow anyway. For me it is mostly curiosity because I want to know what all of these cool varieties taste like.

Man Rickwith all those seeds are you goi g to grow any Gochus next season? Very nice selection you have there with different heat levels. Looking good.

Man Rick
with all those seeds are you going to grow any Gochus next season? Very nice selection you have there with different heat levels. Looking good.
Hi Bill
I am, but I think I'm going to grow less than half as many. The first year I planted 8 gochus and I only had a pint of powder at the end of the season to show for it. Based on that, I grew 26 of them this year, figuring that a quart and a half of powder would give me enough gochugaru for kimchi for the winter. I ended up with over 5 quarts! I think what threw my calculations off was that I was using some of the chiles to cook with throughout the growing season in my first year. I had so many other varieties planted in my second year that I used them for cooking with and saved the gochus for powder. Next year I figure on 10 or 12 gochus, and the rest mixed varieties.

That is some great additions no matter what you decide to add. I was going to try the salt petre my first year but it was difficult to find here at local pharmacies. Can not wait to see you start your season off and decide on a final list.
Take care and have a great weekend

Hey Stick....talking of seeds, did you want any of the Macedonian seeds or are you sorted for those?

Thanks Nee! If you wanted to send some over that would be cool. Check out my exchange list and see if there's anything you might want. Cheers!

Hey stickman,
You reminded me that i still want to get a golden marconi. The reds are really delicious and i have continued to grow every year since getting them. Wanting to taste a yellow marconi, as i imagine them tasting wonderful. Thanks for the reminder!
Judy's LRG yel 7s were one of my favorites this year. So tasty and awesome plants growth wise. Mine had pods that grew up and only fell over when the reach a tipping point weight wise. Good luck on them and all your recently acquired varieties.
I look foward to watching them grow come spring.
Ga GH

Hi Jay
Thanks for stopping by and the heads-up on the large yellow 7... I had a similar problem with my Poblanos last year. One plant that was loaded with pods snapped off flush with the ground during a squall, and the other dropped some of the side branches under similar conditions. Now I know I'll have to stake the anchos and the 7-pots... cheers!

Love getting seeds in the mail! :D Pepperlover always gives a good number of seeds, and sometimes you get some dried chilli bits in there too to put on your tongue and taste.

Do you know if Peppergal ships to Australia? I tired sending an email from the site and didn't get a response, then sort of forgot about it.

Love getting seeds in the mail! :D Pepperlover always gives a good number of seeds, and sometimes you get some dried chilli bits in there too to put on your tongue and taste.

Do you know if Peppergal ships to Australia? I tired sending an email from the site and didn't get a response, then sort of forgot about it.

Hi Moo
Yup, Judy has me sold. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from her again. I'm sorry, I don't know if peppergal ships to OZ, but I don't see why she wouldn't if you sent her enough to cover the postage. Maybe you just caught her at a bad time?

Hi Moo
Yup, Judy has me sold. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from her again. I'm sorry, I don't know if peppergal ships to OZ, but I don't see why she wouldn't if you sent her enough to cover the postage. Maybe you just caught her at a bad time?
Nah I think it was the contact form thing on the site. Anyway I just sent an email to the address from your pics of seed packets. I won't need seeds until next year and even then I've still got about 80 varieties I didn't get to this year.

I think I have a problem with seeds.... :oops:

Stickman, sorry but i think i confuse you. I ment the pods point to the sky and become pendants as they grow and become heavy. Late night wording error on my part. The plants are structural sound like most Trinidads. Thick stem and strong branches. Serious roots as i just clearded out my dead plants in the garden. Something about the growth on the LRG yel 7s was just enjoyable to me. I found myself infront on them staring more so than the others. Hopefully yours will be mesmerizing too! :)

Nah I think it was the contact form thing on the site. Anyway I just sent an email to the address from your pics of seed packets. I won't need seeds until next year and even then I've still got about 80 varieties I didn't get to this year.

I think I have a problem with seeds.... :oops:
I hear ya brother... we're pullin' for ya, we're all in this together...

Stickman, sorry but i think i confuse you. I ment the pods point to the sky and become pendants as they grow and become heavy. Late night wording error on my part. The plants are structural sound like most Trinidads. Thick stem and strong branches. Serious roots as i just clearded out my dead plants in the garden. Something about the growth on the LRG yel 7s was just enjoyable to me. I found myself infront on them staring more so than the others. Hopefully yours will be mesmerizing too! :)
Oh good... I've got hopes for a decent harvest this coming year, so maybe I'll stake them anyway. It's nice to know that I have a little "wiggle room" though. yeah... mesmerizing... :drooling:

Rick, Thank You! The powder has an awesome flavor with a well-mannered heat. Very happy I am growing these out this year.

powderandseeds.jpg

It is my bad I did not post this earlier. Has been crazy at work.

Also, you had asked about pics of my Ajvar making. Posted up a recipe with pics that I condensed from a couple I found online: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/36298-ajvar/

You're welcome Doc! I think most people who like mid-level heat would enjoy Gochus if they gave 'em a try. Cheers

Still waiting on the envelope from Croatia... I hope it didn't get lost in the mail... I really want to plant the Vesena and Kurtovska Kapija peppers next year!

One of the organic farms in Deerfield, MA posted some odds and ends of row cover fabric for free yesterday, and I hot-footed it over there to get some before it was gone. Gotta use all those season-extending strategies for the chiles that take a hundred days or more to ripen pods!

Back