• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

Heck Rick...throw all those Manzanos in. I'll send more later if you need them! Had another Manzano pop for me this morning...so fingers crossed for you buddy!

Thanks Bodeen, Glad to see you got your Root Riot starters and are underway yourself.

The Kurtovska Kapija peppers are up enough that I thought I'd better rig a fan to stimulate them into growing stockier...
SANY0426_zpsce600e76.jpg

It's an AC muffin fan that I plugged into the power strip with the lights, so when the timer shuts off the lights it also shuts off the fan.

All the first wave of seedlings are putting out true leaves, though on the youngest ones they're still pretty vestigial.

Kurtovska Kapija
SANY0428_zps7da3b087.jpg

Douglah
SANY0429_zps92874b37.jpg

Yellow 7
SANY0430_zpse77992a9.jpg

Aji Omnicolor
SANY0431_zpse5463e41.jpg

I'll check in on the second wave of seeds planted on Tuesday. Wish me luck on the Manzanos!

Rick I'll send you a few quarters and you can send me a few plants, lol ... in all seriousness things looking very nice!!!

Rick I'll send you a few quarters and you can send me a few plants, lol ... in all seriousness things looking very nice!!!
Cheers Ramon... Still a bit small... I've got a ways to go to catch up to you folks south of 30 degrees N. Latitude, but I'll get there in the end...

Those guys are coming up fast! Whatever you are doing, keep it up! Love it. It will plant-out date before you know it!
Thanks Doc
The sun's going to be in and out today so the groundhog's going to see his shadow. Still, I think it's going to be another early spring and I'll be planting outside in a hoophouse in about 10 weeks.

Great looking seedlings! The fan is really a good idea. I did not rig one up until this year, and I also had leggy plants. It doesn't do much harm because they correct themselves when they get outside, but I think there is a bit of a setback as they focus on strengthening their stock rather than putting out leaves and flowers.

Great looking seedlings! The fan is really a good idea. I did not rig one up until this year, and I also had leggy plants. It doesn't do much harm because they correct themselves when they get outside, but I think there is a bit of a setback as they focus on strengthening their stock rather than putting out leaves and flowers.
Thanks Stefan
I think the fan helps the chiles to stay short so they can hug the warmth coming up from the ground at night when it's still early in the season. The kind of growth I look for then is lots of roots but short plant above ground. Then when it warms up enough at night... we get a warm rain and Bam! They just shoot up.

Its not just about leggyness but also helps ward off problems like damping off and edema from lack of airflow often experienced in an indoor grow

Not so much of a problem here in the winter... the air's so :censored: dry that I sometimes get mild nosebleeds at night unless we run a humidifier then.

Not so much of a problem here in the winter... the air's so :censored: dry that I sometimes get mild nosebleeds at night unless we run a humidifier then.
Same. My hands crack all the time too.

But in the summer its so humid I can't dry my clothes properly. Hoping my ultra hots like it ;)

Started my yellow onions from seed yesterday, and that meant a re-ordering of the shelves. I moved the peppers down and put the manzano and onion seeds I'm trying to sprout on the seed heat mat on the top shelf.
SANY0432_zps2295c432.jpg

When I moved the peppers down and turned on the CFLs I noticed that they were too dazzling to leave uncovered, so I went downstairs and retrieved one of the pieces of reflective material I had on my grow setup last year and duct taped it in place. While I was down there I also noticed that since the lower shelf was partly shadowed by the upper one, the plants there wouldn't get as much sun, so I added another power strip and 2 more CFLs.
SANY0433_zps48c0ae77.jpg

The heat from the CFLs really boosted the temperature of the seed heat mat, so I had to dial back the thermostat to get the temperature back down to the low to middle 80s. That's a side-benefit I hadn't thought about.

Is there enough light getting to the Chilli's closest in that picture Rick?? I only ask because the photos make it look dark ... feel free to tell me to shut my mouth if you feel like it :D

Not a problem Trippa...
The chiles closest to the camera were in dimmer light because I had to lower the reflective material to get the pic. The CFLs were also saturating the pic with light so the camera's processor had to compensate.

Another solo cup guy, nice. I think that is what I shall do this year as well. Costco had a great deal on cups and picked some up. They do offer more space that my 2.5 x 2.5 traditional nursery square pots, them downside is not perfect fitted tray. Everything is looking good, best of luck and looking forward to seeing how the onions do as well.

Those seedling look amazing they can not wait to move outside I also used the computer fans last year worked great when I had them indoors. Good luck through the season and hopefully everything continues to go well for you.

Back