• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

Yeah I had mixed results with pellets last year too, but I think removing the netting solves most of the problems right? Also fluffing via Jason's procedure.

Yeah I had mixed results with pellets last year too, but I think removing the netting solves most of the problems right? Also fluffing via Jason's procedure.

Rick,

Really cool that you're getting fantastic germ rates. Keep it up!

Don't know about the Horticubes, but will be watching. The Jiffy pellets, when the netting is cut off just disappear for me.

I usually do cut them off.... Except when the roots have gotten away from me and there are to many piercing the netting...then I usually snip them down two sides ... To be honest I think it is the surrounding soil that holds the netting in place ... ... As when they are by themselves the roots have no issues pushing through ... The old netting used to just tear off easily ... The new silky cottony type stuff sucks and takes much more effort to tear

Hey guys. I have to say I have not had a great experience with them pellets. Yup, that netting has changed and does not readily biodegrade in the soil... same problem here. But I have to say that in my neck of the woods (africa) them pellets are way expensive I find. I have seen Horticubes here and they seem to be much better pricing... Not sure if you guys are finding the difference cost wise too?

JJJessee said:
I suspect Horticubes are an ultra low density foamed urethane. It may not technically bio-degrade fully but winds up as small inert particles quickly.
Probably a proprietary formulation, but there could be very similar, usable products sold in sheet form

I assume the sheet has been cast as opposed to milled to that size and shape.

You might be right about the composition of the material JJJ... The shape looks milled rather than cast to me, but being such low density material, a sharp blade would be all that's required.

Jeff H said:

I would guess that this is correct but I will be keeping tabs on this to find out what info the manufacturer gives you. I can tell you that rapid rooters absolutely do not decompose. At least not in one year. All of the plants that I started in them last year still had the rapid rooter around the trunk when I pulled them out of the ground.

Exactly why I don't like them Jeff...

Devv said:
Rick,

Really cool that you're getting fantastic germ rates. Keep it up!

Don't know about the Horticubes, but will be watching. The Jiffy pellets, when the netting is cut off just disappear for me.

Scott, do you wet the soil in the pellets before cutting the netting to help it hold together?

Trippa said:
I usually do cut them off.... Except when the roots have gotten away from me and there are to many piercing the netting...then I usually snip them down two sides ... To be honest I think it is the surrounding soil that holds the netting in place ... ... As when they are by themselves the roots have no issues pushing through ... The old netting used to just tear off easily ... The new silky cottony type stuff sucks and takes much more effort to tear

Sounds like the netting is some kind of synthetic Trippa...

PeriPeri said:
Hey guys. I have to say I have not had a great experience with them pellets. Yup, that netting has changed and does not readily biodegrade in the soil... same problem here. But I have to say that in my neck of the woods (africa) them pellets are way expensive I find. I have seen Horticubes here and they seem to be much better pricing... Not sure if you guys are finding the difference cost wise too?

Here's my take on it Lourens... I got 2 sheets of inch and a quarter Horticubes... a total of 208 cubes for 25 dollars. An equivalent amount of Jiffy Pellets would cost a little over twenty dollars... so both are affordable I think, but the Horticubes cost about 20 percent more, and they only get your seeds germinated. After that you still have to pot them up in soil, so they're probably not cost effective for large-scale growers, but they pay off in better germination percentages and lower stress for the hobby grower with hard-to-start seeds.

Interesting discussion about the Jiffies and Horticubes.

You've been a busy guy, Rick!  And your glog is on warp 9!
Everything is looking great.  You're getting a lot of mileage
out of your lights!

stickman said:
Here's my take on it Lourens... I got 2 sheets of inch and a quarter Horticubes... a total of 208 cubes for 25 dollars. An equivalent amount of Jiffy Pellets would cost a little over twenty dollars... so both are affordable I think, but the Horticubes cost about 20 percent more, and they only get your seeds germinated. After that you still have to pot them up in soil, so they're probably not cost effective for large-scale growers, but they pay off in better germination percentages and lower stress for the hobby grower with hard-to-start seeds.
Hey Rick, I think the reason I don't use either is that they are expensive. Here in my neck of the woods, they are even more expensive. But, I think I will use them for some of the real tricky seeds seeing your success rates :)

PaulG said:
Interesting discussion about the Jiffies and Horticubes.

You've been a busy guy, Rick!  And your glog is on warp 9!
Everything is looking great.  You're getting a lot of mileage
out of your lights!

Thanks for the good vibe Paul. Yeah... definitely trying to squeeze out as much as I can cheaply...

PeriPeri said:
Hey Rick, I think the reason I don't use either is that they are expensive. Here in my neck of the woods, they are even more expensive. But, I think I will use them for some of the real tricky seeds seeing your success rates :)

I understand Lourens... after paying for shipping costs, rarity factor and possibly tariff, they're probably pretty steep by the time they reach you. I started my round 3 seeds in the Horticubes as a test to see how well they actually work, but in future, I think I'll just use them for the hard-to-start seeds or varieties I only have a few seeds for.

The seedlings roots don't seem to have a problem penetrating the foam... this is a Chimayo' seedling I cut out of the sheet this morning...
SANY0852_zps9e271160.jpg

TGIF and Happy Valentine's Day all!

Whoa Rick, sorry about the copious posting. No idea what happened there... Must have to do with the mobile version of the site.

New seedling looks great. What's your plant count right now? Are you where you want to be for your plantout schedule.

Rick,

I use a small pair of scissors, with sharp pointy blades, they were a gift, and cut along the bottom, this cut is 70% to one side. Then I follow up to the top and gently peel it away while gently squeezing top to bottom to hold the plug together. I've only had a few want to fall apart. I do this as soon as the plant stands up and spreads it's coty's, and yes they are plenty wet at that time.

romy6 said:
 Sweet pick Ricky Ticky  :party:

PeriPeri said:
Woa - totally amazing buddy... I will definitely have to give the Horti a go!

Thanks guys... I think the good vibe's helping... :)

Devv said:
Rick,

I use a small pair of scissors, with sharp pointy blades, they were a gift, and cut along the bottom, this cut is 70% to one side. Then I follow up to the top and gently peel it away while gently squeezing top to bottom to hold the plug together. I've only had a few want to fall apart. I do this as soon as the plant stands up and spreads it's coty's, and yes they are plenty wet at that time.

Always a good idea to find out how other folks do things... thanks for your take on that Scott.

maximumcapsicum said:
Whoa Rick, sorry about the copious posting. No idea what happened there... Must have to do with the mobile version of the site.

New seedling looks great. What's your plant count right now? Are you where you want to be for your plantout schedule.

Plant-out will be in April Adam, but the weather then will determine when... using low row covers and black plastic mulch is a passive system, so it works very well when the conditions are right, but if the nights are cold for more than an hour or so the plants are still in danger of being killed by it.  Two years back we had a warm spring, and I planted out at mid-April. Last April was much cooler, so I planted out the end of April. Ideally, I don't want the overnight lows to get any lower than 40 degrees... and that not often or for long. 45 degrees is much better.

I see more hooks growing upwards today, including some Rapires F1 Hungarian "Pointed Hot" peppers I got from HabaneroHead last year. He sent 2 packets of seeds, and I planted a packet and a half to try and get them to grow, but no hooks... I planted a few of them in the Horticubes and they broke dormancy today. I haven't counted the number I have potted up or coming along this weekend, but will post it later after I get one.

Rick,

I put some plants in the dirt today, and the wife asked about cold weather. Me I don't care if it gets to mid 30's, it's never slowed anything down here that I could notice. But if we get really cold, I guess we can put some lights in there like people do in their well house. Hope that's not an issue we run into.

Devv said:
Rick,

I put some plants in the dirt today, and the wife asked about cold weather. Me I don't care if it gets to mid 30's, it's never slowed anything down here that I could notice. But if we get really cold, I guess we can put some lights in there like people do in their well house. Hope that's not an issue we run into.

That's why I put down the black plastic mulch on the ground before raising the low row cover over it. The sun hitting the black plastic makes heat which the ground absorbs and radiates. The low row cover over it traps the heat and holds it next to the plants inside. When you're ready to plant outside you just punch holes in the black plastic and plant your seedlings in the holes.

Pinoy83 said:
your doing great with your horticubes brahhh.. :fireball:

I really think so brah... and I think they'd do even better in an Aerogarden. The foam is easily penetrated by the roots but holds just the right amount of water while letting in the air too... perfect conditions for lots of really strong roots! It provides good support for the plants without having to use net pots that you would have to cut up later to get them out.

Thanks for the plantout guidelines Rick. I know Jason plants out when the temps stabilize in the 50°s at night, but that happens around early April here. University's nearby say pepper plantout rangers between the 1st and 20th of March... seems way too early. I was probably going to follow Jason's lead, though I may get it a little early than he thanks to the downtown ambient conditions. Also I don't have room for too many pot ups, so they're gonna have to sink or swim. Can't make an omelette...

Back