• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2015 - That's All She Wrote...

Hi All! It's been an incredibly busy winter dealing with one thing and another, and it's only about half over here. :rolleyes:  Still, it's time to get on the stick and put my seeds in the dirt in preparation for plant-out in another 12 weeks or so. I have a Manzano over-wintering inside that's going on its third year. It's next to a sliding glass door with a great southern exposure but the light it gets here this time of year is pretty paltry... I expect it'll start to perk up sometime in March. I have a couple of MoA Scotch Bonnets over-wintering at a friend's house because there wasn't space in front of the sliding glass door for them and my wife's indoor plants... the deal is that if they both survive the winter, we'll split the plants. If not, he'll keep the one that lives. That seems fair since he did all the work. ;)

The rest of the list is looking like this...

Pubiscens Varieties
Total bust this year... nothing that germinated survived.

Baccatum:
Ditto

Frutascens:
Tabasco
Hawaiian Bird chile

Chacoense:
Ditto

Chinense:
7-pot Yellow Turned out to be a red "Not"
MoA Scotch Bonnet
Beni Highlands... Also turned out to be a "Not"... maybe a Mako Akokrosade cross?
Ja Hab
Trinidad Perfume
Zavory

Annuum:
Cabe Rawit (mouse turd pepper, in Singapore where the seeds were collected they're called Cili Padi)
Red Thai
Biggie Chile Anaheim

Poblano Gigantia
Jalapeno Ciclon
Jalapeno Tormenta
Serrano Tampiqueno
Hungarian Hot Wax
Almapaprika
Ethiopian Brown Berbere

I'll also be planting a sweet Criolla de Cucina plants and about 20 sweet Kurtovska Kapijas. The Kapijas have the longest growing and ripening times of any Annuum I know, but they're big, meaty sweet peppers that average around a half a pound apiece... just the thing for making that eastern european condiment called Ajvar.

Too tired to say more now, but will pick up later... Cheers!

maximumcapsicum said:
Yes! Tobago Treasures are fun. I canned a bunch last year... Actually used the alma paprika recipe you sent me. Crunchy and flavorful.

Love the pics Rick! Keep em comin.

Thanks Adam! I was trying to remember where I got the Tobago Treasure seeds and your post reminded me. Thanks for those as well!

Glad you liked Balasz' pickled pepper recipe. I pickled up some Jalapeno rings with it myself and they were the best I've ever had!

Things are popping along here nicely! So far I have-

3 Brown Egg
4 Hawaiian Bird Chile
6 Tobago Treasure
2 CAP 267
7 El Oro de Ecuador

and the newbies courtesy of brother Jamie... two 7-pot Lava and a Brown BBG7! Still a few Chinense varieties and the Pubes to come, but this is only day 8.
SANY0152_zpsb1e0174a.jpg

One of my favorite times is when you can check the trays multiple times per day and find new hooks every time.

My mats (x2) fit four 1020 trays each.  I've got light dimmer switches spliced into the power cord and the trays on the upper shelf are elevated off the mat a couple of inches.  I'm still running the mats at only about half power.  If I just plugged them in with the trays sitting directly on them, the trays would get way too hot.  Maybe your windowsill is cooler than my germination station.

I googled Pritamin and was off down the rabbit hole.  The first link I found said it's best for making Zakusca, which after respelling as "Zacuscă" I found it to be something that is at least superficially similar to Ajvar.  (One recipe here, one here, and another here.)  Have you ever tried this?  This thread has some interesting information on Hungarian peppers (mostly various "paprika" types).  This page uses "paprika cream" to make a paprika risotto.  In the comments, someone notes one of the ingredients in the cream is Pritamin pepper.  This site recommends Pritamin for Ajvar.  And lest I wear out my welcome, I'll end with this page of generally awesome recipes, though it doesn't reference Pritamin specifically.

Sawyer said:
One of my favorite times is when you can check the trays multiple times per day and find new hooks every time.

My mats (x2) fit four 1020 trays each.  I've got light dimmer switches spliced into the power cord and the trays on the upper shelf are elevated off the mat a couple of inches.  I'm still running the mats at only about half power.  If I just plugged them in with the trays sitting directly on them, the trays would get way too hot.  Maybe your windowsill is cooler than my germination station.

I googled Pritamin and was off down the rabbit hole.  The first link I found said it's best for making Zakusca, which after respelling as "Zacuscă" I found it to be something that is at least superficially similar to Ajvar.  (One recipe here, one here, and another here.)  Have you ever tried this?  This thread has some interesting information on Hungarian peppers (mostly various "paprika" types).  This page uses "paprika cream" to make a paprika risotto.  In the comments, someone notes one of the ingredients in the cream is Pritamin pepper.  This site recommends Pritamin for Ajvar.  And lest I wear out my welcome, I'll end with this page of generally awesome recipes, though it doesn't reference Pritamin specifically.

True enough... I really like looking at the tray and seeing more hooks! Just now I see a couple of Beni Highland hooks beginning to show! :dance:

I reckon my windowsill is cooler John... it's about 35 degrees outside right now, and it's the warmest its been in a few weeks! Most of the days have been in the teens and 20s, with overnight lows down below zero. Our solar panels have been covered in snow the whole time I speak of since it was too cold to melt it... today it's sliding off and falling under the eaves with a big thump! :)

I've got a lot of chores this afternoon, but am looking forward to your forwards of info on Paprika peppers, Zakusa, etc.    Thanks!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Rick is on fire, great to see all the babies waking up! I know you like me must really be ready for Spring!

S'right Chris! We've been dealing with the "shack nasties" here for a bit and we're ready for a change! Having a little green around seems to help though. :)
georgej said:
glad to see some sprouts, Rick. hoping for another brilliant and well documented season from you!

Cheers G! And as Wodehouse said... "I shall endeavor to give satisfaction" ;)

Trident chilli said:
Great grow Rick ... hope you have the room for "El Oro de Ecuador" grew it a couple of seasons ago turned into a monster ... bigger the pot bigger it grows ... pods become heavy and hang like jewels

Cheers John! I'll be growing them in-ground since I know the Baccatums are large growers in general. I haven't grown that particular variety before though, so I'm looking forward to it for sure. :)

OCD Chilehead said:
Whoohoo! Congrats Rick. Looking forward to following again this year. Sorry I haven't been around much. Still out of town living in a 17ft bumper pull.

Good luck

Chuck

Hey, Chuck's in the house... thanks for dropping by buddy! :dance: 

Are things as cold for you as they are here? I'd be willing to bet you have an appreciation for the phrase "colder than a well-digger's a**." ;)  Hope all is well with you, and you get the chance to put a few plants in the ground this year. Take care!

stickman said:
Hey, Chuck's in the house... thanks for dropping by buddy! :dance: 

Are things as cold for you as they are here? I'd be willing to bet you have an appreciation for the phrase "colder than a well-digger's a**." ;)  Hope all is well with you, and you get the chance to put a few plants in the ground this year. Take care!
It's wierd. We had warm 60's and even 70's weather the past couple weeks. Last night we had a windy snow storm. Dumped about 4in.
Have some Jigsaw seeds soaking in the trailer right now. Will soak some more when I get home next weekend.

maximumcapsicum said:
Love the hooks! Shaping up to be a cool grow. I'm particularly interested in your take on the Choco bubblegums.

Thanks  for the good work Adam. :)  Yeah, I'm growing a bunch of varieties I haven't grown before and looking forward to trying them all. :drooling:

Sawyer said:

I finally got around to checking out your references John... very cool! I think the main difference between Zacuska and Ajvar is that the Zacuska uses onion and tomato in the mix and Ajvar uses garlic and white vinegar. Either could use a single variety of sweet pepper or a blend.  I've been looking for a recipe for the Paprika Cream myself, as I'm already growing the pepper varieties used to make it. If I ever do find one, I'll post it here. If you ever find one, I'd purely love to hear it. Cheers!

Hey, Rick!  Great to see all those starts on their way.  
By the time you dig out from under the snow, they
will be rarin' to go!

PaulG said:
Hey, Rick!  Great to see all those starts on their way.  
By the time you dig out from under the snow, they
will be rarin' to go!

Round one has gone fairly quickly Paul. Most of the varieties I sowed have at least a presence now. I'm still waiting on the Mozambique PeriPeri, JA Hab, Locato and Costa Rican Yellow but the rest of the numbers at day 10 look like:

Hawaiian Bird Chile - 8
Brown Egg              - 4
Brown BBG7           - 2
7-pot Lava              - 5
Tobago Treasure    - 6
Beni Highlands        - 2
El Oro de Ecuador  - 9
CAP267                  - 4

And finally! I have one Bahamian Goat fully up with cotys attached! :dance:
SANY0156_zps1641d71b.jpg

Back