• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2018 Soil Mineralization Glog

Hi all! Now that the new year is here, it's time to swing into gear and get ready for the next season of growing chiles! I'll be starting my seeds in a few weeks, and after rotating the crops in my raised beds to get rid of the Pepper Maggots that showed up in 2016, I'll be able to plant a lot more this year. In the meantime, I thought I'd share what I do to prepare my garden soil for the start of the season. I've grown chiles in pots and in-ground, and for me at least, I seem to do better with the plants grown in the soil.

To start with, my garden soil is sandy, so I have to add lots of compost in the top six inches of soil to hold moisture and prevent nutrients from leaching away. Soil microbes break it down in just a few years though, so keeping it topped up is a yearly necessity. We compost our kitchen waste to that end, but there's never enough, so we also buy it from a local outfit that produces it commercially. I was put onto adding biochar as well by brother Scott (Devv.)  The biochar does the same things that humus does but it lasts longer and  helps the environment by sequestering carbon in the soil. I've also been reading about how amending with Montmorillonite clay can increase fertility and help with soil structure, but more on that in a future post.

At the end of each growing season I take soil samples from my various gardens and get them tested at Logan Labs in Ohio. They do a more thorough job than our UMass extension by testing for Cobalt, Molybdenum and Silicate levels as well as he usual suspects. :)    I'm taking a "Build and Maintain" approach toward soil nutrients because I want my plants to have the best organic nutrition available to them, and at the small scale I'm planting, it's affordable for me. http://nevegetable.org/cultural-practices/plant-nutrients  

Here's my last soil test, taken the end of November. It's the starting point for figuring what amendments I'll need when I prep my beds for planting in the spring. The pepper garden is bordered in yellow.
fall2017soiltest.png

In my next post I'll cover the math I use to figure that out. Cheers!

Great info in this Glog, looking forward to seeing how it'll turn out. 

Should be getting my soil tests this week, at the farm. Kind of waiting with nervousness, since any amendments I have to do might be costly on acre-scale.

Going to try to keep it organic.

Devv said:

And it is certainly enlightening !

:)

TrentL said:
Great info in this Glog, looking forward to seeing how it'll turn out. 

Should be getting my soil tests this week, at the farm. Kind of waiting with nervousness, since any amendments I have to do might be costly on acre-scale.

Going to try to keep it organic.

Hi Trent, and welcome to the zoo!

Yeah, it sure is expensive to build the soil on the acre scale. I think that's why farmers mostly use conservative soil management methods instead. Are you using "green manure" cover crops and practicing crop rotation on your farm? Do you harvest your own wood to burn for heat? If so, I think it would be very cost-effective for you to make your own biochar from the smaller branches instead of chipping or piling them to rot. You might be interested in the hands-on research being done by the Ithaka institute with ABC-type fertilizers.   http://www.ithaka-institut.org/en/ct/150-Biochar-Based-Fertilizer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIMPgn1xa_E
http://www.ithaka-institut.org/en/ct/111-Dig-your-own-soil-Kon-Tiki--

PeriPeri said:
Rick buddy - all the best for 2018! Thought I'd poke my head into THP, it's been a while. I see you are already well on the way and very scientific from the get go. I would expect nothing less! Can't wait to see your season kick off :lol:  :dance:
Lourens!  Good to see you on the forum, my friend.  

You should be into pod production or getting close, right?
Have missed seeing your impressive grows!

How's your powder supply?  Made an interesting smoked
variety this year.  Just sayin'   ;)

PaulG said:
Lourens!  Good to see you on the forum, my friend.  

You should be into pod production or getting close, right?
Have missed seeing your impressive grows!

How's your powder supply?  Made an interesting smoked
variety this year.  Just sayin'   ;)

Paul buddy - it's been a while! It is good to see you too! This is the first time in I don't know in how long that I have had a change to sit and read some of the stuff going on here. So much to catch up on!

Lol - yea, I have got me a little grow going this year... so I was just wondering if I should bite the bullet and do a glog :) It will have to be retrospectively, but it will give everyone an idea of where I am at.

Oh man, that powder of yours was so amazing! I loved them all, but my whole family is hooked on the Scotch Bonnet powder. We just finished the last of the batch about a week ago actually. We have used it sparingly, but we are totally out. My partner makes this cracking "Kedgeree" with the Scotch Bonnet powder that is out of this world. But your smoked variety sounds awesome too. We must definitely talk - I would love to get some more from you, if you have... Just sayin' :lol: :pray:

We will definitely chat my friend! Now let me see what pictures I have lying around on that hard drive...

stickman said:

:)

Hi Trent, and welcome to the zoo!

Yeah, it sure is expensive to build the soil on the acre scale. I think that's why farmers mostly use conservative soil management methods instead. Are you using "green manure" cover crops and practicing crop rotation on your farm? Do you harvest your own wood to burn for heat? If so, I think it would be very cost-effective for you to make your own biochar from the smaller branches instead of chipping or piling them to rot. You might be interested in the hands-on research being done by the Ithaka institute with ABC-type fertilizers.   http://www.ithaka-institut.org/en/ct/150-Biochar-Based-Fertilizer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIMPgn1xa_E
http://www.ithaka-institut.org/en/ct/111-Dig-your-own-soil-Kon-Tiki--

I'm about half way through building a new much larger, more efficient biochar cooker. It's half of a 300 gallon propane tank that I cut down to be 8"s taller than a 55 gallon drum. It's on hold until my back says so...LOL

Here's the URL it's based on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svNg5w7WY0k

Probably most can't do this in their backyard, but if you can find a place....

The propane tank is 3/8" thick, it should last for quite some time. Now I need a supply of 55 gallon drums. Wood I got ;)

Edit: Hi there Lourens! Start that glog!

PeriPeri said:
Rick buddy - all the best for 2018! Thought I'd poke my head into THP, it's been a while. I see you are already well on the way and very scientific from the get go. I would expect nothing less! Can't wait to see your season kick off :lol:  :dance:

Hey, Lourens is in the house... thanks for stopping by buddy! How have the Baboon and Giant Snail depredations been for you this season? Looking forward to seeing how your garden has been doing. :)

Chilidude said:
That black soil making video was very interesting, should be very good stuff to grow various kind of plants.

S'right bro'... It's great stuff for a lot of reasons. More folks should use it in their gardens.

Devv said:

I'm about half way through building a new much larger, more efficient biochar cooker. It's half of a 300 gallon propane tank that I cut down to be 8"s taller than a 55 gallon drum. It's on hold until my back says so...LOL

Here's the URL it's based on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svNg5w7WY0k

Probably most can't do this in their backyard, but if you can find a place....

The propane tank is 3/8" thick, it should last for quite some time. Now I need a supply of 55 gallon drums. Wood I got ;)

Edit: Hi there Lourens! Start that glog!

Sweet! I hope you get pics of the retort in construction and in action Scott!

stickman said:

Hey, Lourens is in the house... thanks for stopping by buddy! How have the Baboon and Giant Snail depredations been for you this season? Looking forward to seeing how your garden has been doing. :)

Thank you Rick - great to be back! I am good with all of those, but recently I had a close encounter with a (young) 1,5m Black Mamba in our grow area ;) I will take some picks of what is going on the next couple of days and get them posted. Going to the farm now to wrestle mambas!

PeriPeri said:

Thank you Rick - great to be back! I am good with all of those, but recently I had a close encounter with a (young) 1,5m Black Mamba in our grow area ;) I will take some picks of what is going on the next couple of days and get them posted. Going to the farm now to wrestle mambas!
Heh... Wrestling Mambas sounds envigorating! Stay safe out there... [emoji106]

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

stickman said:
Heh... Wrestling Mambas sounds envigorating! Stay safe out there... [emoji106]

PeriPeri said:

Why is there no chili pepper named Black Mamba?

Devv said:
I just happen to have 2 BB-Mamas growing. Seeds courtesy of Chuck. The plants seem really robust at this stage of the game. ;)

I have a feeling it's going to hurt!

S'right bro'... that's serious business! I'll be following to see how they do for you. :)

Walchit said:
Turkish snake crossed with big black mama should be the genetics on the black Mamba pepper lol

Interesting... Annuums have more of a "needling" burn. Combined with the BBM genetics it might make something deserving of the name. ;)

Genetikx said:
Hey Rick, any action with your chinenses yet?

Not yet Ryan, my wife is having friends over on Sunday afternoon, and she asked me to wait before starting my Chinense varieties until after they're gone. I'd make that about 5 minutes after they've left... Lol! I guess one week later won't matter much in the long run. :)

I've got most of my amendments and soil conditioners in hand now... the only one I'm still waiting on is the Cobalt Sulfate, and I hope to get that in the next week or so.

0129180746b.jpg

0129180819.jpg

0129180818.jpg

0129180814.jpg

0129180831.jpg

The coco coir is gonna be mixed 50-50 with the remainder of a bale of pro-mix BX for the seedlings when I break them out of the Aerogarden. The bat guano is to give a quick nitrogen boost when I transplant the seedlings outside. I'll use the liquid nutes that came with the Aerogarden for seed starting, but I'll be adding a little Armor SI and Ful Power as well. The Armor SI will add Silicon to the mix, and the Fulvic acid in the Ful Power will assist in nute uptake by the seedlings. I'll also use the Fulvic acid in half of my seed soaks and re-constituted coconut water in the other half. 
     One caveat with the Armor SI... it'll significantly raise the pH in the solution, and precipitate out when adding the rest of the nutes. I'll add it to the RO water, and neutralize the pH with a little vinegar before adding the rest of the nutes. To that end, I hope the Blu Pen from the Biggest Bonnet Challenge comes soon...

Cheers all!

randyp said:
Wow Rick,love the soil buildup plan.Came a long way from dropping plants into potting soil and adding water :).How often do u change aerogarden water?
Change? [emoji39] Actually, I topped up the nutes on schedule and added water as needed. I only changed the water each time I started new seeds. I didn't think I needed to since I only grew the seedlings out to the third node before transplanting into Solo cups.
I'm looking forward to seeing how your new dripper system works out in the long run. I've been looking into a German product called Blumat that one of the local hydro shops is carrying. I like that it waters on demand instead of on a schedule and it doesn't require any batteries or electricity. It's also a low-pressure system that could easily be connected to a rain barrel. That would reduce the dependence on the hose bibb for water and reduce our water bill.

http://www.blumat.com/en/tropf-blumat.html

Back