• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2020. I'm baaack!

Hi all, after a year away dealing with health issues and multiple re-organizations at work I'm back with another slimmed down New England superhot glog. In addition to everything else on my plate last year I had a mild outbreak of Pepper Maggots in my vegetable garden. Due to that I'll be practicing crop rotation and planting onions and garlic there to encourage the little bastiges to move along so I can plant Gochus, Southwest varieties and sweets there again next year.
I'm continuing with my soil mineralization strategy in all of my garden plots to replace what was stripped away so thoroughly in the past. We're located on top of a Bluff above the Green River in the Connecticut River watershed. This whole area was underwater when the glaciers melted at the end of the last Ice Age, and the immediate area around us was a river Delta far enough from the source that the sediment deposited was mostly sand. It was extensively farmed for many years, which stripped away the topsoil. New England has some of the oldest soil in the world anyway, and has lost so much of it's soluble mineral chemistry that I'm working toward replacing what was lost so I can grow happy, healthy and above all, nutritious plants from the soil I've enriched.
This glog is a continuation of that journey, begun in 2018 with Stickman's Soil Mineralization glog. I'll try to keep it fun while sharing my growing methods and results with those of you that're interested in following. Next post will be about soil testing. Cheers all!

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Hi Rick!

Good to see you back. Also glad to see you're still into the soil program. I took the year off test-wise, to continue work on the Ph.

Good luck this season!

stickman said:
Jeez... That's a cast iron b**** as far as growing in-ground, but it could be quite lucrative if the trees are of harvestable size.
https://web.extension.illinois.edu/askextension/thisquestion.cfm?threadid=8714&catid=196&asksiteid=87

From what I've read, your biggest problem is in the nuts and leaves. Raking up and disposing of fallen branches, nuts and leaves in a timely fashion should help. If you log the trees off it should take around 4 months for microbial activity to break down the allellopathic compounds in your soil.
https://www.gardenmyths.com/walnuts-juglone-allelopathy/
Not much help for this season, but next season should be better for your veggie garden. It could take a little longer for your 'maters and chile's since nightshades are particularly sensitive.

Oh wow! You've done some work for me. Thank you!!!!

I really thought the roots were more of a problem-causer than the leaves and nuts. And now that you say that, the maters always KICK ASS until around fruiting time. Super tall, bushy, killin' it. Then the next day, they're on the ground, wilted like crazy. That just happens to be around the same time the frickin' nuts start falling.
2 + 2 = what a dumba$$ I am. Lol

Thank you sir! Now where's that saw. Lol

Bhuter said:
Oh wow! You've done some work for me. Thank you!!!!

I really thought the roots were more of a problem-causer than the leaves and nuts. And now that you say that, the maters always KICK ASS until around fruiting time. Super tall, bushy, killin' it. Then the next day, they're on the ground, wilted like crazy. That just happens to be around the same time the frickin' nuts start falling.
2 + 2 = what a dumba$$ I am. Lol

Thank you sir! Now where's that saw. Lol
G.A. troop.... Drive on. [emoji6]

Devv said:
Hi Rick!

Good to see you back. Also glad to see you're still into the soil program. I took the year off test-wise, to continue work on the Ph.

Good luck this season!
Hey Scott, thanks for stopping by. [emoji3] Sounds like you're not taking retirement resting on your "Laurels..." I'm sure the garden will wait for you.

Devv said:
Yeah, Staying as busy as the old body will let me :shh:
Ya reet... "Old" man... [emoji6] Lol!
It's time to transplant most of the seedlings into 1 liter Air-pots. No sign of life from the Douglas seeds I sowed. They're getting moldy so Imma toss 'em and use the empty cells in the Aerogarden to sow more after I've sanitized it. Gotta get at least one Dougie this year to replenish the clean seed stock!
One of the Congo SR7 cells has Cotys showing, and the other is hooking up, so I'm getting there. Cheers all!

66f7b30ffdbaea43893f6e396bb0c8f6.jpg
bfc2fed2880df0ab3b7c02abaaac8153.jpg

Got my Yellow 7s, Bhuts and MoA Bonnets transplanted into Air-pots in the grow box down cellar. Just gotta keep 'em fed and watered until it's time to take 'em outside to harden off. I really want at least one Douglah for fresh seed, so I'm gonna sanitize the Aerogarden and start again with the empty cells re-sowed with "fresh" seeds. With 7 more cells started I hope to get at least one healthy plant.
1451d3ed4c410c2f05e807d51a39540e.jpg
37f351bab24f4ef44347937387db92ae.jpg
974ab4b25610ccc7f2e91c57ba7d923e.jpg

Awesome looking transplants, Rick.
Good luck with the Douglah!

PaulG said:
Awesome looking transplants, Rick.
Good luck with the Douglah!
Cheers Paul! After about 3 weeks the Congo SR7S are finally moving... Finally got coty's showing in the second cell. C'mon Dougies!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hi all! After 5 days in the grow box the transplanted chiles have doubled in size. It never ceases to amaze me how just insulating the box with the grow lights inside gets the temperature inside up into the 90s! The lights are on an 18 on and 6 off timer schedule, so I put a half a dozen 1 gallon milk jugs inside to act as thermal mass... they absorb heat when the lights are on and radiate it when the timer shuts them off.
Onion germination this year was disappointing... out of 2 packets of seeds only 6 seedlings, and 2 of those don't look healthy. Looks like I may end up buying a couple flats of onion slips to plug the gap.
The flat of lettuce mix I planted for my wife is looking rather better.
20200409_194301.jpg
20200409_194308.jpg
20200409_194305.jpg
20200409_194326.jpg
20200409_194316.jpg

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Hope you all have a stellar Easter Sunday at home with your peeps. We're making Tejas-style pulled pork with lots of "Turkey Chiles!"
Congo SR7 seedlings are growing really slowly, but at least they're beginning to put out true leaves. Finally saw some radicles on the new batch of Douglah seeds! Looks like I'll finally be able to send some fresh seeds to this fall.
20200412_080035.jpg
20200412_080045.jpg

Glad to see progress with the
Congo SR7 and Douglahs, Rick.

Nice Easter present!

Cheers guys! Hope you're having a stellar Easter sunday. We're talking to our families on Zoom and I've got pulled pork made for supper. It's south Tejas style Scott... lots of Turkey chiles in the rub and no bbq sauce. [emoji6]

Back