food Stickman's Tasty Treats

Since there has been positive feedback on pics of meals shown in my glog I figured I'd better shift that sort of thing here. I've been fascinated by the various cuisines around the world for a long time, and I love to cook. I think my first mentor was a Belgian professor who had a summer home up the road from us in the little town of Richmond, Massachusetts. (Yes Virginia, there really is one here too). He and his wife liked to have dinner parties and would invite the neighbors over. It was always Haute Cuisine, and Michel Jaumotte would make the entree, side dishes and the dessert, his wife Margueritte would make the salad and the bread or rolls. My folks were old-line Yankees whose idea of a fancy meal was New England Boiled Dinner... loved it!. My Dad was a welder for a company in Dalton, MA that was owned by a first-generation Italian-American who hired some of his family from the old country to work for him, and his uncle Sammy Pucci wangled a job for his friend Giacomo Pizzoni too. Giacomo was Dad's best friend at work, and Dad used to plow his vegetable garden every spring. I learned a lot about the cuisine of Tuscany from his wife, and he taught me how to make wine and grappa. My uncle Fred was in the Army in the far east and married women from first Korea, and then Singapore, so I got exposed to those as well, Still looking around and trying a bit of everything I see. Hope you all like it.

Tonight's meal... Rajmah and rice with Mango Chutney.... Sort of the Punjabi equivalent of red beans and rice. I cooked the red kidney beans in the crock pot with onions, garlic, about five dried ripe Santaka chiles, Kasmiri chile powder, strained tomatoes, cumin seed, turmeric powder, salt and cilantro to garnish. The Mango Chutney had a ripe Mango, lime juice, shallots, garlic, brown sugar, white wine vinegar, fresh ginger, black mustard seed, coriander seed and the first couple of pods off of my gochu chiles.

SANY0431.jpg

My wife is off to a meeting tonight, so I'm "batchin' it again tonight. How about some chicken ramen with a little soy sauce, toasted sesame oil and sesame seed.

SANY0443.jpg

Next, let's chop up a cup of homemade kimchi...
SANY0446.jpg

A spoon of Gochu Jang...
SANY0447.jpg

And a small can of tuna. See if that don't hit the spot!
SANY0448.jpg

Got a craving for spicy shrimp tonight, so how about some linguine with shrimp Fra Diavolo... Sorry 'bout the fuzzy pics... cheap camera while my wife is up in Canada...

IMAG0007.jpg

My own chile flakes from last year's cayenne harvest.

IMAG0001.jpg

Toss a pound of shrimp with some salt and chile flakes and saute in olive oil

IMAG0005.jpg

When shrimp is just done, take out of the pan and add onion. Saute until translucent. Add white wine, diced tomatoes, dried oregano and garlic, and saute 10 min. more. 'til flavors blend and sauce thickens. Add shrimp to tomato mixture and simmer another minute. Serve hot.

IMAG0009.jpg

i love all the red stuff from asia kimcheeee is the best then gocchhu paste then sriracha put all those to some vegetables and stir fry it add some oyster sauce and some sweet chili feel like heaven after u eat it :dance: :dance: :dance:

i love all the red stuff from asia kimcheeee is the best then gocchhu paste then sriracha put all those to some vegetables and stir fry it add some oyster sauce and some sweet chili feel like heaven after u eat it :dance: :dance: :dance:
I hear ya brother. I'll eat anything if it tastes good... ask my wife... :oops: :D

Kimchee, Ramen, Chile paste. You don't look Korean. Is your wife?

Nope, German and French Canadian

I really hate kimchee.

Well... you can, it's America. You like sriricha but you don't look Thai... it don't signify

I'm pretty sure a larger portion of Thais and Vietnamese use sriracha than Americans. I'm also pretty sure that a larger portion of koreans have meals with ramen, kimchee, and korean chile paste than Americans. It does signify. If it was a sufficient condition for being Korean I wouldn't have asked.

The kimchee thing is funny to me because it is one of those things that makes sense to other people but I don't get it. I feel I should. It is the Kate Moss of the food world; everyone says she's pretty but I don't want her at my table. Tofu is the Sarah Jessica Parker of the food world. The media says she's pretty but we all know the truth.

I really hate kimchee.

Well... you can, it's America. You like sriricha but you don't look Thai... it don't signify

I'm pretty sure a larger portion of Thais and Vietnamese use sriracha than Americans. I'm also pretty sure that a larger portion of koreans have meals with ramen, kimchee, and korean chile paste than Americans. It does signify. If it was a sufficient condition for being Korean I wouldn't have asked.

The kimchee thing is funny to me because it is one of those things that makes sense to other people but I don't get it. I feel I should. It is the Kate Moss of the food world; everyone says she's pretty but I don't want her at my table. Tofu is the Sarah Jessica Parker of the food world. The media says she's pretty but we all know the truth.
Mixing someone else's outward appearance with ones inward assumptions is always a tricky thing... People are like icebergs, there is so much more below the surface that you can't see. In this case though, it's fairly straightforward... I just like Korean food, and though I'm an American, I don't apologize for it. If you want some of what I'm eating... help yourself. If not, more for me. I don't expect everybody to march in my parade. So what was your point exactly?

My point:
you corrected me but you were wrong.

Tried to understand how you developed your affinity for korean food. My mistake

My point:
you corrected me but you were wrong.

Tried to understand how you developed your affinity for korean food. My mistake
Ah... why didn't you say that in the first place?.. I'm not angry, just puzzled by what looks to me like a non sequitur. "Is your wife Korean" doesn't add up to "How did you come by your taste for Korean food" to me. Sorry, my mistake apparently. See what I mean about icebergs?

Anyway... on to more pleasant topics. How about some Chicken Boudin?

IMAG0016.jpg

Mix ground chicken, long grain rice cooked Al Dente, and mix of finely chopped celery, onion, scallion, leek, garlic, red bell pepper, a couple of green gochu peppers, some chile flakes, Italian seasoning, fresh Italian parsley, fresh cilantro, salt, pepper and sugar.

IMAG0018.jpg

I don't have any sausage casings or a stuffer attachment for the meat grinder, so I improvised and put it into a steamer on medium-low heat for an hour and a half.

Since there has been positive feedback on pics of meals shown in my glog I figured I'd better shift that sort of thing here. I've been fascinated by the various cuisines around the world for a long time, and I love to cook. I think my first mentor was a Belgian professor who had a summer home up the road from us in the little town of Richmond, Massachusetts. (Yes Virginia, there really is one here too). He and his wife liked to have dinner parties and would invite the neighbors over. It was always Haute Cuisine, and Michel Jaumotte would make the entree, side dishes and the dessert, his wife Margueritte would make the salad and the bread or rolls. My folks were old-line Yankees whose idea of a fancy meal was New England Boiled Dinner... loved it!. My Dad was a welder for a company in Dalton, MA that was owned by a first-generation Italian-American who hired some of his family from the old country to work for him, and his uncle Sammy Pucci wangled a job for his friend Giacomo Pizzoni too. Giacomo was Dad's best friend at work, and used to plow his vegetable garden every spring. I learned a lot about the cuisine of Tuscany from his wife, and he taught me how to make wine and grappa. My uncle Fred was in the Army in the far east and married women from first Korea, and then Singapore, so I got exposed to those as well, Still looking around and trying a bit of everything I see. Hope you all like it.

Tonight's meal... Rajmah and rice with Mango Chutney.... Sort of the Punjabi equivalent of red beans and rice. I cooked the red kidney beans in the crock pot with onions, garlic, about five dried ripe Santaka chiles, Kasmiri chile powder, strained tomatoes, cumin seed, turmeric powder, salt and cilantro to garnish. The Mango Chutney had a ripe Mango, lime juice, shallots, garlic, brown sugar, white wine vinegar, fresh ginger, black mustard seed, coriander seed and the first couple of pods off of my gochu chiles.

SANY0431.jpg

My wife wants her plate back... Jk but we have the same style plates too...

Picked up some Squid today... Time for Ojingo Bokkum! This is one of my favorite Korean dishes. The taste is kind of hard to describe, but there's a lot going on in there! It's spicy enough to really make you sweat with chiles, Gochu Jang and fresh Ginger Root, sweet, salty and deeply savory thanks to the onions, scallions, toasted sesame oil and lots of garlic. I defy any seafood loving chilehead to push this one away!

IMAG0028.jpg

Scallions, Baby Bok Choy thinnings and green chile pods from my Gochu peppers

IMAG0029.jpg

Chop up the vegetables and squid for stir-frying... Oops, I forgot to include the squid... I got a half pound of tubes at the market, washed them and cut them into quarter inch rings, then cut the rings in half and popped them into the 'fridge until ready to cook.

IMAG0030.jpg

Chinese Black Mushrooms are what these are called on the bag these came in, but really they're just dried Shiitake mushrooms. I break off the stems while they're dry because it's easiest to do it then and I'm just going to throw them away anyway. Even re-hydrated they're too tough to chew. I'm soaking the caps in boiling hot water here. After a half an hour I'll cut them in half and thin-slice them.

IMAG0033.jpg

Sorry about the blurry pics... cheap camera that doesn't auto focus, and I can't get good detail in the display... Now it's time to make the sauce. Coarsely chop the garlic and ginger and toss into a blender. Add sugar, gochujang, rice wine, soy sauce, oyster sauce , black pepper and a couple tablespoons of water and blend into a sauce that's just about thin enough to pour.

IMAG0034.jpg

Now stir-fry the ingredients. The order that things go into the saute pan is important... everything needs to be cooked for different amounts of time so at the end they are all done to the "crisp-tender" stage. Lastly, stir in the sauce and simmer a couple of minutes to blend the flavors... stir in a bit of toasted sesame oil and some toasted sesame seeds and you're ready to serve with rice and a cold beer. Believe me, you're going to want the beer!

Got my first harvest of full-sized Gochu peppers today and thought I'd make Gochu Jeon.

SANY0513.jpg

Peppers with ribs and seeds removed, and stuffed with a mixture of ground meat, tofu, green onion, garlic, sesame oil, salt and pepper.

SANY0515.jpg

Roll in flour, dip in egg and fry until golden brown on all sides.

SANY0517.jpg

Cut in half and dipped in a sauce made of soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, green onion, sesame seeds and gochu garu...(gochu powder)

Back