food Stickman's Tasty Treats

The Korean spring radishes are ready to pick today, so it's time to make Yeolmu Mulkimchi... a watery summer kimchi that is an essential ingredient in Naengmyon... a spicy, cold soup made with buckwheat/yam starch noodles, chicken broth, round Asian pear, the spring radish kimchi of course, and other seasonings. A bowl of that, served with ice chips in the bowl on a hot day is very refreshing!

SANY0529.jpg

Wash and scrape the radishes, and thoroughly wash the radish leaves. Cut the radish into 2 inch strips, the leaves into 2 inch pieces and add salt and a little water. Let stand for half an hour and turn over for another half an hour to evenly salt the veggie pieces.. When you do, you'll pull enough water out of the leaves and radish to reduce its volume by more than half.

SANY0536.jpg

Wash three times in cold water, and drain in a colander while making a seasoning "porridge" by putting rice flour in water and cooking it until it bubbles. This makes a thick paste. Add sugar and fish sauce, and stir until the sugar is dissolved.

SANY0535.jpg

slice red peppers, green peppers, garlic, ginger and half a yellow onion, and add to a large bowl with the salted radish pieces, a tbsp of hot red pepper powder and the seasoning paste. Stir well to coat and pack into jars, cover with boiled, cooled water, leaving room for expansion at the top of the jar. Loosely cover jar with a lid to allow fermentation gases to escape and leave out at room temperature for 2-3 days until the kimchi has the tang you like... then cover tightly and refrigerate.
SANY0538.jpg

Haven't had the chance to try any yet but am willing to try some... I've tried alot of Chinese and Japanese foods from various restaurants...

OK, you actually made Gochu Jeon and didn't send me an invite? I'm hurt :snooty:

Seriously though those look really good. A bit different than what i used to get in Ouijongbu but everyone has their own ways of doing and in the end who cares. It's so tasty that you'll eat your fill. I bet that sauce was freaking great on them too.

Great work by a true connoisseur of Korean Yummies!

OK, you actually made Gochu Jeon and didn't send me an invite? I'm hurt :snooty:

Seriously though those look really good. A bit different than what i used to get in Ouijongbu but everyone has their own ways of doing and in the end who cares. It's so tasty that you'll eat your fill. I bet that sauce was freaking great on them too.

Great work by a true connoisseur of Korean Yummies!
Thanks RM, we sure polished them off in a hurry. My wife likes them too. The dipping sauce is a great marinade for meat or fish, and as a dressing on cooked vegetables too. I used 50/50 ground turkey and tofu to keep the fat down, but the rest was as close to traditional as I could make it. I used an Italian recipe intended for Pepperoncini to pickle the green gochu peppers that were on the side branches I cut off a few days ago. They're great as a snack or on top of a salad. The recipe would probably be good for pickling jalapenos and serranos for the winter too. The chiles were so green that I added a tablespoon of sugar to two quarts of brine to "iron out the rough spots". To make them, pick the peppers when ripe (or nearly so) but still firm. Wash them well and poke several holes with a toothpick underneath the cap on the peppers and pack into sterilized jars. Make the brine by mixing 50/50 water and distilled white vinegar, and a teaspoon of Kosher or Pickling salt for every pint of liquid. Boil for five minutes and pour the hot brine over the peppers, leaving a half inch of space at the top of the jar for expansion. Tightly cap and refrigerate for 2-3 weeks. (or until you can't stand it any more!)

This weekend I got on a little bit of an African kick and made some Harissa. It's a spicy condiment made with dried chiles, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and spices.You can make it in a blender like I did, or a mini food processor, but traditionally it's made in a mortar and pestle.

Begin with 12-15 dried, red chile peppers
3-4 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt, or to taste
1 tsp ground cumin (optional)
1 half tsp ground coriander (optional)
1 half tsp ground caraway seed (optional)
2-4 tsp lemon juice
olive oil

Traditionally the seeds are removed from the dried chiles before soaking, but heck, leave 'em in if you want to. Remove stems and soak chiles in a bowl of very hot water for about half an hour to an hour. Drain chiles and gently squeeze out excess water with a paper towel. Process chiles, garlic, salt and spices to a thick paste. Add the lemon juice and just enough olive oil to moisten the harissa, or add a little more olive oil than that to thin it to your desired consistency. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. For long storage, lightly top the paste with a little more oil before capping and storing.
SANY0568.jpg

I used Cayenne peppers, but use whatever you have on hand or catches your fancy.

I've still got a quart of cabbage kimchi left over from this winter and I need to use it up. It's pretty sour by now, and a good way to use it is to make Kimchi Jjigae.
First, you cut a pound of pork belly into a quarter inch dice and render it down in a large skillet until brown and crispy. I didn't use uncured pork belly... I used slab bacon.
SANY0569.jpg

Chop half a large yellow onion and coarsely chop three cups of sour kimchi. When the pork is done, add the onion and kimchi and 5-6 cups of water to just cover the mixture. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Immediately lower heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Add 5 finely sliced scallions and simmer, covered for 10 more minutes. Serve hot with rice or rice cake, sprinkled with finely sliced kim... (pressed Laver seaweed rubbed with dark sesame oil and toasted).
SANY0572.jpg

Great foodie log Rick! Didn't understand the exchange with frosty either??? I've been following his glog and he's nothing but cordial...don't get why he came off that way toward you. Weird!

Every dish looks fantastic! Keep this one rolling...

Great foodie log Rick! Didn't understand the exchange with frosty either??? I've been following his glog and he's nothing but cordial...don't get why he came off that way toward you. Weird!

Every dish looks fantastic! Keep this one rolling...
Hi Shane, Thanks for the kind words. I'm sorry frosty got his back up too. He was probably just having a bad day.

Back