• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Stinky soil mix

I just transplanted my peppers into 16oz cups. The soil is a mix of potting soil, worm castings, vermiculite, bone meal, and perlite. I keep my plants under some fluorescents in my basement. My basement now stinks like nasty, sweaty, gym socks. The only difference is that I added bone meal. Do you think that the bone meal could cause this problem?

I do not use bone meal, but if that is the only thing you did different, then that is what is causing it. Good thing it was only 16 oz cups, now you know not to use bone meal, if that is what it is...

You said the soil is a mix. Is that how it came packaged or did you use soil and add the rest of the ingredients? i don't use BM indoors......opps that's bone meal I'm referring to............lol.
Its possible that if you just started using that mix then it could be the bone meal. I use the bone and blood meals outside only. Bagged potting mix has all you need to get the seedlings going, unless its heavy on the peat side. Then you need to add nitrogen and other supplements. I've seen bags of potting soil sold at some of the big stores in my area thats the cheap stuff. Heavy weight crap that smells like the shoreline of a canal.........which for a buck-ninety-nine.....thats probably what it is. But I'm sure you bought a soiless mix for the indoors. Why did you add the meal anyways?

Greg

Back