• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Stomach Cramp Prevention?

I`ve been playing around with an elixir that will lessen or stop stomach cramps after eating insanely hot peppers. Quite a few people have contacted me about this, so I thought I`d put down the current recipe. Bear in mind that this is an experiment that is continually evolving and it works for me, more or less, which means it may not help you at all. 

1 scoop protein powder (I use whey powder, but if you are daily-sensitive any will do - 28g protein)
3 very heaped tablespoons of peanut butter (if you are peanut sensitive, Tahini works as well, which is made from sesame seeds).
3 tablespoons of olive oil (any cooking oil will do)
1 banana (for the fibre)
Juice of 1 lime or lemon
3 or 4 ice cubes.

Toss it all in a blender and blend until the ice cubes are smashed to little bits. 

Drink 30-45 minutes before eating something Superhot.

Ok, you drank the elixir, ate a Reaper and your stomach is starting to cramp up anyway. Take 2 tablespoons of olive oil or some cooking oil, but I like the flavour of olive oil. Do not drink milk, do not eat ice-cream, do not eat anything. Wait 15-20 minutes. If your stomach is still cramping up, take another 2 tablespoons of oil. 

As I said above, it works for me, but I make no promises that this is a cure-all for everyone. 

Very good to know. Here is what a friend of mine does

#1. Eat a full meal that's high in fat about 45 minutes before conuming the super hot pepper of choice
#2. Make a shake with Greek Yogurt, spotted bananas (higher in potassium), 2 heaping spoonfulls on peanutbutter 10-15minutes before eating the desired superhot (gut bomb) of choice.

He said since doing this he the peppers haven't even phased his stomach.

So basically, eat a lot of stuff that is high in protein, fat, and carbs before eating a super-hot pepper.

Or, just eat a lot of stuff before eating a hot pepper.

Gotcha.

Still not gonna do it.

Double Burn said:
So basically, eat a lot of stuff that is high in protein, fat, and carbs before eating a super-hot pepper.

Or, just eat a lot of stuff before eating a hot pepper.

Gotcha.

Still not gonna do it.
It`s more protein and fat, but you pretty much got it. Still not gonna do it? Are you sure???

I usually eat a good meal, followed by some nice cheese and fresh fruit, but Most of the time I like to eat some homemade frozen yogurt with two table spoons of sesame or walnut oil to the yogurt while its being made, the body processes this pretty fast so I eat some before and after. Nigel recipe looks like it would would work well as it has plenty of proteins, fats and carbs. So when I'm able to go back to eating super hots, now in moderation only I will have a good idea how to fight off the cramps, which should be this fall just in time for fall harvest and powder making.

megahot said:

#1. Eat a full meal that's high in fat about 45 minutes before conuming the super hot pepper of choice
#2. Make a shake with Greek Yogurt, spotted bananas (higher in potassium), 2 heaping spoonfulls on peanutbutter 10-15minutes before eating the desired superhot (gut bomb) of choice.

This actually sounds really good. In Texas we all ate Peanut Butter and Banana squished up together on sandwiches. All I got to do is add yogurt. Yummmm

Nigel said:
It`s more protein and fat, but you pretty much got it. Still not gonna do it? Are you sure???

Haha, not a whole superhot at least!  I've had stomach cramps that lasted literally all night and it felt like someone was shoving a large, dull stick into my gut.  And this is just from eating a pickled hab.  You cold say that I'm a bit gun shy of eating a whole superhot, even with the suggested food!  :rolleyes:

godo to know i have a big "jar" of protien  and peanut butter  ,first time i did it witha ghost i had NOTHING in my stomach it sat down there n burned for about 6 hrs

Threehundredc said:
godo to know i have a big "jar" of protien  and peanut butter  ,first time i did it witha ghost i had NOTHING in my stomach it sat down there n burned for about 6 hrs
I did that once. Ate a large Bhut on an empty stomach, then went out to dinner with friends. Spent half the night in the bathroom. The sluices were open at both ends. Not fun.

Think I will try this, I needed this recipe with my first taste of a Moruga pod, I was in the fetal position on my couch for at least an hour hoping the stomach pain would just go away or that I maybe lucky enough to be hit by random falling space debris and die

megahot said:

I know who this is.  Smart man.

This is good info, as I am new to this fun of eating the real hot peppers.  Hab's were about the best I had done before.  I did not even think about making sure I had plenty of food in my stomach beforehand.  I ate 1/2 a Moruga the other day from Sicman and while the mouthburn was bearable, when it hit my stomach a hour later, I thought I was going to die.  Spent 3 hours laying down as it came at me in waves.  Almost made me swear off the superhots.  Now I read this note. 

I am always doing things backwards!
Duh

bpwilly said:
This is good info, as I am new to this fun of eating the real hot peppers.  Hab's were about the best I had done before.  I did not even think about making sure I had plenty of food in my stomach beforehand.  I ate 1/2 a Moruga the other day from Sicman and while the mouthburn was bearable, when it hit my stomach a hour later, I thought I was going to die.  Spent 3 hours laying down as it came at me in waves.  Almost made me swear off the superhots.  Now I read this note. 

I am always doing things backwards!
Duh
I think we`ve all done that. You only do it once, though, if that`s any consolation. 

Back