• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Stop growing

Hi,
First time gardening ever,a friend helped me to build 4*8, and use organic stuff only and told me that I don't need to add anything until the end of the season.
Last month I bought scorpion around 4", but until now is not growing, it has new leaves but same height. Other plants were planted mid may, such as tomatoes, bell, Thai, zucchini already have fruit.
Is it still growing down (root) before going up? How long it will be? I live in Montreal so summit is short.
I used to water twice a day during hot weather (with garden hose) now cut it to once a day and for pepper I do it every other day.

Thanks,

you're growing in a 4' x 8' bed?

hot peppers grow a lot slower than those others listed and the hotter, the slower but that's really slow.

from what you've said, you're watering way too much.  it's better to allow the peppers to dry out almost completely between watering.i have to grow in pots because its too hard to dig beds in my condo and remove the dirt but i only water once or twice a week and its been very warm here so far this summer. if you're planted in the ground, you shouldn't need to water near as much.

Hey there,

I tend to water just as the leaves start to wilt and I use seaweed fertilizer for a little boost once a week.  If it's not growing at all, the plant might be stunted...was it badly root bound before you transplanted it?  I have had that problem before buying from greenhouses and have also had fert burn from going overboard with compost tea so be careful if you fertilize.  It's a delicate thing to grow peppers, especially up here in Canada.  I start my seeds in January to get a jump start on the season so that I don't have to buy from stores and risk aphid\thrip\root problems.  Hope this helps. 

There are a lot of people on here who know a lot more than me so hopefully they can confirm or tweak my advice if it's lacking. 

Cheers.

As mentioned the Chinense Peppers take awhile to get going -- They sometimes seem to just sit there and do nothing for weeks and then suddenly you'll start to see them take off. Not sure what type of weather you are in but here they seem to shut down for awhile during the summer months as the Temps get into the 100's and nights stay in the high 80's - low to mid 90's and then suddenly when we get a few days of a breakin the weather they take off and have more growth in those few days than they have had in several weeks. Main thing is to just keep it healthy and eventually it will take off.

Another thing to check is for any insect problems - ie. check under the leaves for egg deposits, tiny insects, etc. as some insects feeding on the plants can cause them to slow down as they expend energy repairing the damage done and loss of nutrients that the feeding insects drain from them.

Yes 4*8 on the ground, we put peat moss, 1 cow,2 sheep manure, 1shrimp, and 10 black earth. He told me not too add anything else.
I don't know what root bound is, but I got it bare root, keep it indoor for few days because it was 10c for few days, moved it to the ground, looks healthy but stunned, meanwhile reapers, scorpions and white pods that I gave to a family member didn't survive, I guess she water too much (I showed her the picture of my garden, she told me too dry,need a lot more water,i trusted her because she always plant more than 50 ghost n Thai every year, luckily I cut down after watering too much for few days) and you guys still think too much?

Like I mentioned, I water from above in the morning for 2-3min total,still too much?, by noon the soil top part is already dry. You said until completely dry before watering,how many inches from the top?
Let say average day temp 86-90F, how many time I have to do it?

Thanks,
PS:
I don't know gardening is fun, for 15 years usually I went to my backyard only to mow or occasionally BBQ, in the past 1.5 month Ive spent more time there than 14y.

Minx said:
Hi,
First time gardening ever,a friend helped me to build 4*8, and use organic stuff only and told me that I don't need to add anything until the end of the season.
Last month I bought scorpion around 4", but until now is not growing, it has new leaves but same height. Other plants were planted mid may, such as tomatoes, bell, Thai, zucchini already have fruit.
Is it still growing down (root) before going up? How long it will be? I live in Montreal so summit is short.
I used to water twice a day during hot weather (with garden hose) now cut it to once a day and for pepper I do it every other day.

Thanks,

pics ?

Minx, doesn't look dry at all.  Thing is, doesn't look lit at all either.  I know this is going to be an annoying question, but I have seen really weird things folk fail to mention.  Do you have direct sun light on that baby?  BTW: Beautiful well kept garden.  Is the wire mesh for tomato?  How does that work for you?   

I took picture around 6am, from 11am-2pm get direct sun, for the past 2 weeks the tomato growing very fast, I didn't expect that tall. Maybe I'll move it in front of tomatoes so it will get direct sun light in the morning.
That is not wire mesh, it's nylon. The original guide (on the net), the pole made from rebar and use electric conduit (total around 40$) but since this is the first time gardening, I use cheap 2*2, cost me less than 10$ (nylon from $store only 1.25$).
I like it since I could move/slide the vertical nylon horizontally, so it's adjustable per node, you won't break any branch.

more sun will be better and the tomato's will outgrow thw pepper and block out the sun.

have you been watering less?

I would say you could get away with a good soaking once a week depending on the heat level. it's high 30's low 40's here this week and I will still only have to water twice this week and i am in pots.

I'm on my phone, could figure out how to edit, lol

but use common sense if things start to droop you will need to water more than once a week but daily or every other day is way too much.

it's high 30's low 40's here this week and I will still only have to water twice this week and i am in pots.
If you are in Ontario, as your profile indicates, you must be in an area that correlates to a pin hole leak in the ozone layer. The temps aren't in the high 30's to low 40's, in either C or F. :D

The record high temp in Toronto was on July 7, 1936, and the temp was 40.6 C. By all indications, the temps in most of Ontario have been in the high 20's to low 30's for most of the last month. (nothing over 33, in fact) So what's going on in your neighborhood?

Minx said:
I don't know what root bound is 

Forgive me if someone has already answered this, I just kind of skimmed over the thread, but "root bound" is when a plant's root system has outgrown its container. When this happens, the roots have nowhere to go and the plant is essentially "suffocating".

This is rootbound

rootbound.JPG

I don't think this is the culprit. Your plant looks to have plenty of room to grow and "breath".

The leaves on your plant look like the classic yellow of overwatering. If the leaves start to develop a burnt tip, that's the #1 sign of overwatering.

Keep in mind too, your plant is young. The space is big. It's going to take some time for your plant's root system to grow. Once the plant establishes a nice strong root system, then you will see the plants top growth take off.

I think that if you just leave the plant alone and only water it once it becomes wilted, your plant will start to show you the results you want. Just give it another month and you will most likely see an entirely new plant!

Good luck, keep us posted :)

ajdrew said:
Unless it is tremendously hot and you are in small containers that breathe very well, I can not imagine needing to water every day or even every other day.  Being constantly wet will bring peppers to a crashing halt.
Probably this.  Too wet, chilly nights, not enough sun.

I grow in 13 gallon pots on my roof in NYC.  My plants get full sun all day long.  Even when they are massive in August, I'm only watering every couple of days.  If the soil is still moist, you don't need to water.

I've experienced the same thing as you, I think, when I put my plants out on a nice weekend in early May, only for mother nature to decide she wants it wet and cool for the next 3 weeks.  The plants sulk.

I just moved it this morning so it will get more sun, no water for the past 3 days so yes I will do it less watering (my heart say water but my brain say no) lol.

No wasn't root bound at all, the root was tiny when I got it but this morning when I dug, it's bigger than your Pict above.

Thanks guys, at least now I know where to plant next year and definitely less tomatoes, more peppers and Chinese vegetables

Back