storage of seeds

I am curious how every one else stores their seeds. Paper envelopes, dark vials, clear vials, zip lock bags, etc….

i keep them in those little zip lock bags, in a normal envelope in the fridge. you just have to remember to let the seeds warm up to room temp before opening the zippy.

I put my seeds ih 3x2 ziplock baggies, then store these baggies in larger ziplock sandwich bags. I keep them in a drawer in the bottom of the fridge.

GrumpyBear said:
i keep them in those little zip lock bags, in a normal envelope in the fridge. you just have to remember to let the seeds warm up to room temp before opening the zippy.

Why?

I have heard about keeping seeds in the fridge but never heard about letting them warm up before opening the bag so I'm also curious as to WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!

a sealed bag inside a cool dark cupboard will probably keep them fine without having the warm-up hassles. So long as you dry them right before you store them.
By drying right i mean on a paper towel in that same cool, dark cupboard. Then, yup, put them in a bag.

I store my seeds in zip-lock bags which I put in paper envelopes and stick a photo and description of the chilli on the front. Then they are put in a box in alphabetical order :)

rainbowberry said:
I store my seeds in zip-lock bags which I put in paper envelopes and stick a photo and description of the chilli on the front. Then they are put in a box in alphabetical order :)

:shocked: you're a closet librarian aren't you?

rainbowberry said:

Whoa!! I just put the seeds in a really little clear plastic zip lock and write the name on the front with a sharpie, I do let the seeds dry on a paper plate for at least 24 to 48 hours first. Though, you can't be to organized I guess?

GrumpyBear said:
if they're still cold when you open the bag moisture will condense on them

Huh.

Never had that happen, but usually when I'm taking them out, it's to use them.

Ozarkrocker said:
Whoa!! I just put the seeds in a really little clear plastic zip lock and write the name on the front with a sharpie, I do let the seeds dry on a paper plate for at least 24 to 48 hours first. Though, you can't be to organized I guess?

All my seeds are dried in the airing cupboard (where the boiler is). They get left in there until remember to take them out, I've always had good germination from drying them in there.

rainbowberry said:
All my seeds are dried in the airing cupboard (where the boiler is). They get left in there until remember to take them out, I've always had good germination from drying them in there.

Oh, I wish I had an airing cupboard! It sounds very useful.

I do the same thing, but usually I let the chillies dry whole (without removing the seeds) in a dark cupboard in the basement....probably not so good for more fleshy peppers whose seeds should probably be removed before drying...but always had success doing it this way...then stored in a zip-lock bag, in a cool, dark place.

I eat the pods so that I know if the seed is worthy of keeping or not. Variations in heat & flavour play a part. Place seeds on some paper towel for a week to dry then bag it.

rainbowberry said:

==========================
Wow.

Just.....Wow.

:shocked:

Ziplocks into an airtight Jar...Never had a problem with warming them up. Though I don't sell old seed, I have used seed in bags that has been repeatedly cooled and opened with no problems. Maybe the key is to get all the moisture out in the beginning.

Take care.

Primo

I am using zip lock bags and keep them in a tupperware box.

After drying the seeds I keep them in a bag made from some old newspaper for a week or two so any moisture left after drying (you never know) will be gone before I put them in the plastic bags.

Back