• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Storm damage

A storm rolled thru and damaged my goat pepper plant and it was loaded with pods.  Snapped branches and some partially.  Picked green pods from snapped branches.  Tried to mend partial snapped branches but probably will die off. 

Saddest thing is one pod had finally started turning orange.  Started plant in Jan. and everything went well until this storm.  Wishing they would have matured a little sooner---feels like a wasted 9 months.  :tear:

Oh well such is life.    It's the little things that pisses one off  :violin:.

Hard lessons for 2nd year grow.....guess now all I can do is :rofl:.   Just had to vent........

That sucks. I'm sorry that happened to you. Unfortunately that's part of being a gardener. I grew one of my Carolina Reapers in a bucket just in case something like a bad storm would occur.

I feel your pain - had a plant taken down to almost nothing a couple seasons ago, and several others rather damaged, including branches that partially broke off. I wrapped them good in medical tape and tied them up to stakes, and they mended enough to finish ripening the pods that were on them. However, as anyone who's done grafting knows, the mended part may never regain full strength - it depends upon how well the reconnections were made. So chin up - mend and support those branches as best as you can, and you just might be surprised with the results. Big thing is to keep bugs and stuff out, and the tape seemed to help with that.

Sorry to here that. I had 21 tomato plants get flattend from a big storm. They went from 5 foot, to kissing the dirt. If you still have the branches maybe you could try cloning the plant for next year.

Man that sucks, wonder why it took so long for your plant to mature. I have been pulling goats for a few months now. It was one of the first C. chinense to ripen. I hope what is left survives and gives you some love!

I had this happen to one of my Habs this year, it snapped right in the middle of it. I got a block of rockwool with some cloning gel and placed it in there, amazingly it worked! You may be able to try this. Just soak the rockwool completely and the fill the hole with the cloning gel, it took about 5 days to grow a new root, but once that happened I just transplanted it rockwool and all back into the ground.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. 

Living in Iowa some of the peppers must not like the growing zone---5b.  The storm was high winds and a torrential downpour.  After the worse was over, I went out and done damage control.  Got lucky and didn't lose electricity like a lot of people did.

I'll go out today and see what I can do with the advice given.  I tried one of the immature pods I had to pick (have about 40) and it suprised me how much heat it had.  Makes me wonder how hot the ripe ones will be if they get there.

Off to do do some more damage control.....again thanks everyone

Barley-pop57 said:
feels like a wasted 9 months.  :tear:
     I know what you mean. It's one thing for a spring storm to beat up a new seedling, and something else entirely for a big, pod-laden plant (and all the work that went into it) to take a hit. 
     Just to second the suggestions of other members here, just do your best to help your plant heal. I had a big over wintered plant get wrecked by a dropped shovel thunderstorm this spring. :rolleyes: One of its main branches was almost entirely snapped off - only a tiny shred of cambium was left attaching it to the stem. I quickly grabbed my hand pruner and fashioned a "crutch" out of a privet shoot (the privet needed pruning, anyway  ;)). I jabbed it into the ground under the branch so as to prop it back into place and maintain pressure at the break. I guess it worked because I forgot about it until about a week ago - I looked closely at the now healed break and couldn't see any sign of damage!
     Just remember, your plant wants to ripen its pods even more than you do!

Back