Strange dense woody growth

I've got some Manzano or Rocoto peppers, and they've had a really strange growth spurt.. which looks to have failed.   They grew some super dense clusters of buds and leaves, most of which dried up and died. 
I put some kelp meal on them a few weeks ago, and this is the first time I've used that..  So, my first thought is maybe that was the cause, with it's growth hormone.  But, could be a disease or something else, for all I know....
Any ideas?  I'd like to get back to normal growth, as I've lost a couple of potential flower sets w/ this issue now. 
Thanks for any help.

14566362182_d078c03535_z.jpg
14380555648_889fb15614_z.jpg

Looks like some type of virus or possibly broad mites. I would isolate that plant right away and strip and spray with some wettable
sulfur ?

+1 what Romy said. looks like tender new growth is being eaten. Broadmites? Thrips? Neem oil or Sm90.

Hah!  Hopefully not too strange, in that case. 

I've added a couple more photos.  Definitely no mites (double checked w/ microscope). 
I'm still leaning towards an excess of something, but again, I really have no idea.  Virus could be possible.. I can't see that, up close...
You can see the thick clusters of leaves and buds, and the brown and purple bits are where it already dried out. 
Also, it's doing it from every new growth site, as you can see in the 2nd macro photo.

14566545832_ab38c874fa_b.jpg
14380742648_366515d0e5_b.jpg

dash 2 said:
     I'm gonna guess herbicide damage. 2,4-d
I doubt it..  My yard is all organic..  Maybe overspray from someone else, but it's unlikely, where I live..  And only the pubescene's are affected.
I've got a few annumm's in pots, with the same ferts.  They had some slightly odd growth after the seaweed, but it was just wrinkly and very green.   It's been a few weeks since the seaweed, though, and the pubescene's are still not growing properly.

(Sorry I keep saying NO to the answers I've gotten.  I am seriously considering them, so please keep them coming..  I'm generally a good, and experienced gardner, so I've thought of most of the usual suspects)

dash 2 said:
     I'm gonna guess herbicide damage. 2,4-d
I did a bunch of reading and looking at photos, and this is the most similar I can find..  So maybe... 
Some of the bottom leaves of my tomatoes are curling and drying and it also looks most similar to herbicide damage, rather than disease. 
Since in general it seems to be new growth or bottom leaves that are damaged, if it is herbicide, I should probably blame one of my 'organic' ferts..  (I'm thinking it seems more systemic than overspray.. I'd think if overspray, it would be the tops of the plants that are affected.)

Back