• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Strange looking Scotch bonnets pods

First time pepper grower here. Some of my scotch bonnet pods have been looking strange, Ive seen some brownish looking blemishes bear usually near the top of the pod, and some pods look like they are starting to rot while still on the plant but others look fine. I picked a few to take pictures, does anyone know what I might be dealing with- nutrition deficiency, pest etc? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• D593C3F4-8C24-4EC0-A89E-4403CD4B6ABE.jpeg
    D593C3F4-8C24-4EC0-A89E-4403CD4B6ABE.jpeg
    52.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 5BAC6D71-69E7-436B-B96B-6DF3E5293384.jpeg
    5BAC6D71-69E7-436B-B96B-6DF3E5293384.jpeg
    43 KB · Views: 73
Well, looks like sun scald to a rookie like me. Hard to tell from the pics. Although, if the blemish is real soft and squishy could be 'blossom end rot' from lack of calcium.

If you know what media mix you've planted in, easy to rule out BER. As the needed calcium is in most all commercial potting mixes/soil.

jmo

acs1 said:
Well, looks like sun scald to a rookie like me. Hard to tell from the pics. 

Second. Wrong place for BER, not hard and circular like anthracnose.

Did you have trouble with your foliage this year? Leaves should be shading your pods on a SB.

Maybe try some kind of shade cloth or moving into a spot with less hours of direct sunlight

Thanks for the responses! The sun spot makes a lot of sense as most of the ones Im finding like this have been pretty well exposed to sunlight, these have tended to be found along the edges of my raised beds and on plants with less leaves than others while pods in the center of the same plants arent showing these signs

Back