• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

strange lumpy curling leaves, be it white flies or the insecticidal soaps?

Ive had an ongoing whitefly problem here in south florida, and i hear its a pretty big issue down here these days.

I have tried using insecticidal soaps a few times, but afterwords the whiteflies are indeed gone but the plants grow odd curly shrunken leaves, and unless the plant is otherwise in top condition, it dies off. Each time this has happened i have lost 75% of my plants.

Is this a result of the whiteflies or the remedy? Thanks!

Ive had an ongoing whitefly problem here in south florida, and i hear its a pretty big issue down here these days.

I have tried using insecticidal soaps a few times, but afterwords the whiteflies are indeed gone but the plants grow odd curly shrunken leaves, and unless the plant is otherwise in top condition, it dies off. Each time this has happened i have lost 75% of my plants.

Is this a result of the whiteflies or the remedy? Thanks!

Picture please, picture ASAP,,,,,,, sounded like broad mites attack.

do they look like this???

2012-04-02170632.jpg

2012-04-02170643.jpg

2012-04-02170722.jpg

2012-04-02170741.jpg

2012-04-02170801.jpg

Yeah, photo if you can. That always helps. ;)

At this point, I reckon it could be either a result of the whitefly OR the remedy... or even, as peplover suggests, something else entirely, such as broad mite.

EDIT:

Nasty broad mite ya got there, pinoypride. The little buggers have been slaughtering my plants too. :(

Yeah, photo if you can. That always helps. ;)

At this point, I reckon it could be either a result of the whitefly OR the remedy... or even, as peplover suggests, something else entirely, such as broad mite.

EDIT:

Nasty broad mite ya got there, pinoypride. The little buggers have been slaughtering my plants too. :(
yeap i got infested by those broad mites...all of my potted plants suffered from it...i almost give up on them...then i tried azamax and my sulfur powder..and blast them out...i sprayed like every 2days just to kill all of them, all my plants stop growing when the infestation happen but after that they came back with a vengeance..now i got tons of healthy plants

Yea that is something, did you actually see the pests in question? I dunno I would cover all bases and shoot them some CaMg, could not hurt? And let the soil dry to moist and not wet for a spell...

Be Well...

I would suggest potting up those larger plants and be sure not to over water them. Also, pick off the flowers and buds they’re draining the plants resources which should be used towards growing the plant’s structure at this stage.

I only had to deal with those buggers once and they terrify me. I lost both supers in the end.

I'll take some photos today if I make it home before dark, they look similar to the photos posted above, but more wrinkly.

It has been happening in harmony with both seeing whiteflies and then treating with the insecticidal soap, are broadmites visible to the naked eye? I have inspected really closely and while I do appear to the have 3rd largest colony of whiteflies in the entire world, I do not see any other pests.

Interestingly, it only seems to affect the tiny leaves present when I spray, after those leaves die, new leaves come in without the issue. Also it does not harm old established leaves any more than the whiteflies themselves seem to.

those pictures posted are a sure sign of broad mites, they have hit me a few times and they can do some damage real quick to plants.

-J

Back