• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Strange split in stem

So after checking my plants after the long weekend, noticed something strange.... My biggest plant, about 7 months old, has a good 4 inch or so split in the main stem starting just below where it forks.... It looks almost like either the inside started to expand faster than the outside or the outside started to tighten.... Almost like someone took a knife to it.... Impossible, given its location.... Will try to get a pic up soon....

Is it something to worry about?

pictures... Most likely just where it forked and should be no worries. But a picture would let us be able to tell for sure.

Pictures aren't clear....

http://pbckt.com/pl.RVhJ90

It doesn't go to the fork, it stops just below it.... No pods on this plant, it's been in the 50s and 60s for awhile now.... Not alot of rain or anything.... Other than ants and aphids, haven't seen any bugs around lately....

That is weird. I had something similar to this happen to a jalapeno a few years ago and what it turned out to be was a bacterial infection that took the life of the plant. Is it soft or anything?

Nope.... No softness at all.... Thought maybe it was from wind at first but it is only on that plant and no signs of bending or anything on it.... And I'm pretty sure it wasn't there 24 hours ago when I stopped in to look at the plants, but I was really only focused on the pods on other plants....

Took some time off, been away from my plants for about two weeks.... There's another split in one of the branches.... Would sudden temperature changes cause it? Out of all the plants, it has the most new growth.... It's been about 70 most of the time but the temp will drop about 20 degrees pretty rapidly followed by wind and some rain....

Put Medical Tape Around The Middle Incase It Splits More This Happend to A Plant Of Mines, Just Put Medical Tape/Tape Cause It Will Proly Split More, Hopefully Doesnt.

Good Luck

It depends on what quite a bit is.... I keep over looking the directions on the bag of garden-tone I have.... At first I wasn't using it as often as it said and I just noticed yesterday I haven't been using as much as it says....

I'm wondering if maybe its more from wind than anything and the location creating a wind tunnel.... Only suggesting this as looking over all the plants, my Santa fe grande has a similar split, but the branch does have weight of a pepper on it.... But I guess it could be the snails, too, although it doesn't quite look the same as the one I'm constantly pulling them off of....

And I guess it's more like a crack than a split, it goes just deep enough to see the center....

Watching them closely during some wind, I'm sure it was that.... The more branches, the plant tends to twist instead of bend....

Back