• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

STRAWBERRIES!!!!!!

Hey all!

This is my second year growing strawberries, last year I had one plant.... this year 13! And no I am not superstitious of the number 13, and if I were I wouldn't be anymore because these plants are going awesome.
Here are a few pics:
M01A0776.jpg

M01A0777.jpg

M01A0778.jpg

I have a bit of a competition going with my father in law to see who can grow the best plants and get the best crop. So far I am kicking his oldschool ass! He is growing them in those strawberry planter things with the holes out the side (whatever they are called), which according to him is the "proper" way of doing it, but mine are growing much better in containers with a nice layer of mulch and using pretty much the same fert routine as I use on my chilies.

Anyways, I am sure there are many people on here with much experience at growing strawberries, so any advice would be awesome!!

Cheers people!

Strawberries is the one thing I never had any problems with. I grow them in a raised bed, ad manure each spring and diligently remove all runners as soon as I see them.

This year I got a few plants of a white variety called "Snöflinga". I hope they survive the winter here, but that shouldn't be a problem as the snow acts as insulation. Sometimes getting snow in october can be a good thing;)

They grow much smaller fruit & much more sparse, and there runners are aggressive.
The only reason I have and grow these is for taste ! They are fantastically sweet and very straw"berry".
But I do miss a big juicy commercial strain so I will throw a few into my patch.

I've grown quite a few strawberry plants over the years and I find them super easy to grow. These days I usually only grow in containers since the ones in the ground take over my whole garden within only a couple of years but I hope to eventually make a permanent strawberry garden

I have a small but expanding strawberry patch as they are too aggressive to live with anything else.
I love them, as every time I go past the patch , i HAVE TO stop and pick a few. :) they are like snack food for when im outside. Late season is better, as I dont bother with going in the house for food untill dinner. Peach, pears, apricots, plums, apples, banana, and fresh veg are fodder for the belly even breakfast ;)

- this is one of the reasons we love doing what we do -

Strawberries...

Let strawberries ripen to a full red color before you harvest them; then pick within 1-2 days of them becoming fully red. You'll probably have to do this everyday during the season's peak. To avoid bruising the fruit, harvest by cutting the stems carefully. Ripe fruit will keep for a day or two in the refrigerator.

After the harvest, you can choose whether to renovate the bed for another season's crop or simply to dig up the plants and turn them under. Before renovating, remove any mulch clinging to the foliage; then mow or clip the leaves to within an inch of the crowns. Thin out older plants, and remove and burn any plants that show signs of insect infestation or disease.

To stimulate the renewal of top growth, apply 1/2 tp 3/4 pound of a high-nitrogen fertilizer per 100 feet of row. If plants are too crowded, thin them, after new growth starts, to 6-8 inches apart. Keep the soil weed-free and adequately wet. fertilize in autumn, and mulch at the onset of winter. A new crop will develop the following spring or summer, perhaps somewhat less grand and abundant as the first year strawberries are planted.

When to Harvest: When berries are fully red and ripe - smell tells you everything.

How to Harvest: Cut stems to avoid bruising fruit.

How to Store: Refrigerate unwashed; use as soon as possible. To preserve, freeze.

: )

Back