• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Strawberrys....

AlabamaJack

Extreme Member
I decided to try my hand at growing strawberrys this year...any tips would be greatly appreciated...will be growing in 5 gallon containers...

I figured some fresh strawberrys dipped in chocolate would make Mrs AJ smile...

I've had good first year success with "Fresca(O/P)" strawberries from seed as well as what I think were "pikan(hybrid)" that have pink flowers and an incredible sweet flavor. Both types are also good for pots or hanging baskets and both produce fairly good the first year.

if these work good, I will try to get some of what you have next year...

I bought "roots" from Lowes...that are Ozark Beauty's....the picture on the package looked good... :lol:

Good show. Its always much easier to start strawberries from established roots, there are only a few varieties that I know of that really grow well from seed

Strawberries for me were pretty easy, but i got some seedlings... they grew like crazy till I decided I needed more room and ripped em up for more chill plants... depends if you want from seed.. but i'd go seedlings, then they go crazy with very little attention.. just keep the water up and you're sweeeet!

I saw those Topsy Turvey planters at Walgreens for strawberrys that I was thinking for the little missus to hang on our pergola

lol @LD....

I knew what you meant...

I am very disappointed with the topsy turvys I used last year...two actually busted open...I suppose it was the sunshine and weather...and the other 4 just didn't produce well for me....won't use them again...

I got a strawberry pot that looks like a flying saucer with one hole in the middle and four on the outside. Strawberry are very tolerant to our climate AJ as I have had mine going outside on the deck for several years now. No need to ever bring them inside.

AlabamaJack said:
lol @LD....
I knew what you meant...

I am very disappointed with the topsy turvys I used last year...two actually busted open...I suppose it was the sunshine and weather...and the other 4 just didn't produce well for me....won't use them again...

Good to know --- you can try with 5g buckets and hang them from the handle -- but this is going off topic --
We tend to get a couple and throw them in pots every year to dip in chocolate as well makes the little lady forget about the 40 -50 plants scattered around the yard

Back