• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Stringy seedings

Got a problem I think. My pepper serdlings are growing but, they seem kind of tall and stringy. So far only the top two leaves have come out. What can I do or is this normal

Popular term on the forum is leggy. Are you growing indoors or outdoors? If you're indoors your light source could be too far away and should be moved closer/may need more lights. Mine were leggy when they came up, if you are transferring them to a pot any time soon you can bury the stem up to the cotyledons (first leaves) and roots will shoot from the stem and your plant should be healthy.

leggy.

Pics and more details will help recommendations. But you are not giving enough light to the plants and that could be because of lack of power in the bulb or actual light placement (too high).

Ill try and get pics posted later. I keep them inside at night then I move them outside first thing every morning. They get 8+ hours of sun a day.

I'm having the EXACT same problem! They are right, light issues for sure! Keep on working it and let me know what you come up with. I am still fighting the same issue!

Would it be good for me to go ahead and transplant them outside? The nights here have only been going down around 65 and maybe at least 55. I would juat have to cover them so the birds don't get them.

I would wait until you have a few nice sets of leaves before you send them outside.
As for the problem, it is most likely a lack of light (or light intensity) as others said.

I agree with waiting for a few sets of leaves, the plants would be stronger and able to get a better footing in the ground. If not, Your plants could be susceptible to harm easily from slugs, cutworms or other leaf eating insects.
When you do plant out set your plants slightly deeper. You do have the right idea, wait until the evening temps stay around 50 deg or above. I see alot of anxious folks here that live in the same Zone (5a,b) range
that I do and are already pushing their plants outside. Sure they may survive evening temps in the 40's but how will that effect their growth through the season. I have no problem waiting until the middle to end of May......after the last hard frost date. Never had a problem when doing it that way. Planting to early when the soil temps cooler and the occasional down pour of the spring rains, sometimes for a few days can create havoc with pepper plants. Fungal and Bacterial issues can result from the soil, not mentioning the chance for root rot.
You'll certainly have more people answering your question with their ideas and opinions. For what its worth read them all and evaluate the situation.

Good luck with your seedlings, warmer weather right around the corner

Greg

Pop them in an east-facing window at night so they catch the first few rays in the morning, then put them outside where they'll get nice sun for the day and take them back in at dusk. You should see a little bit of improvement I'd think. 8 hours is a little short for your babies and I think that might be where your problem is. 55 is plenty warm at night for peppers but you need to make sure they're strong enough to survive a minor attack before planting outside or, as Greg said, freak spring weather.

Hell, last night it dropped to 45 degrees here in VA. I am very anxious to plant too, but i settled for 2 portable greenhouse's to put my plants in during the day and roll them inside at night. Long term forcast for us is hovering around low to mid 50's. I still worry about it being too cold at night. I think mid May should do the trick. On the flip side of the low temps at night, it is a nice 75 degrees today and sunny. Let's hope my peppers don't get sun burned today. I will be SUPER pissed off if they die! Keeping my fingers crossed for the rest of the day. I will get a pic of those greenhouse's for you all to see what I am talking about, and of the peppers as they have sat all day in the greenhouse, in the sun.

I'd suggest you add more soil to bury your seedlings up to their cotelydons to give them some support and put them under your lights. Depending on what type of light you have now; as close as possible without burning them.

0887daeb.jpg

f64718c6.jpg

Here is my answer to the light issue! I can tell you this too, just one day being outside in full sun have drastically improved them!! Best investment yet! I got them at Lowes for about $30 a piece but i am sure you could build one for cheaper. I roll them in at night. This might help you out, it did for me.

Back