• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Strong wind - wrinkled leaves?

Repotted some plants into their final containers, and put them outside a few days before really strong wind arrived (stupid forecasters didnt tell us the night before). I've had to move them indoors for the next few days since they seriously looked like they were dying an agonising death.

Now, two of the plants I was really looking forward to grow was the Trinidad Scorpion and 7 Pot. Both of these plants went from having nice big leaves to very wrinkly in the space of 8 hours while outside. I've chucked them under my 600W MH lamp for now, but wanted to know if that is a normal reaction to extremely strong wind and 20C+ temps?

Can provide pics if necessary. I dont think the plants are dead, there is new growth at the base of the plant, just need some TLC for a few days and the wind to die down before letting them back outside again.

Interesting to note that a Manzano Red has been left outside and displays none of these symptoms at all

I had a similar thing happen to my crop last year when I was in the UK. Strong winds left all my plants curled and wrinkled. I thought it may have been some kind of bruising. They recovered OK and all new growth was fine, but the wrinkled leaves never returned to normal.

wind is usually very dry, so imagine your lips after hours of hot dry wind.....They crack..

Leaves wrinkle due to lack of mosture, cause the hot wind sucks it out of them...

Shouldn't be a big drama if you give them a little water..

Here in Australia, my plants can get 35 -40 degree C winds and they survive so yours should be ok in the long run...

It's just very scary the first time you see it... I know...

Back