food Stuffed Red Rocotos w/Potatoes

Dinner Tonight:
IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

I just woke up (@ 3 am) after falling asleep on the couch and ate 3 more of the left overs...

Noshownate said:
never had a rocoto how is the heat? looking good

It depends how hot you want it. If you don't do the soaking with salt before hand then it's blistering hot! But a really good blistering hot. I have to take some of the heat away because the rest of the family are wimps. I didn't take the heat out of the lids so when I had the leftovers the next day all that heat soaked back in.

Looks good! I want some of these. I tried stuffing some red poblanos and they were much better than the green! They lose a bit of the earthiness, but gain some sweetness, and heat! I like the earthiness, but the greens are too mild.

thehotpepper.com said:
Looks good! I want some of these. I tried stuffing some red poblanos and they were much better than the green! They lose a bit of the earthiness, but gain some sweetness, and heat! I like the earthiness, but the greens are too mild.

I also stuffed pasillas, zucchini and home grown red italian bull horn peppers with that the other night. That recipe works all around. Make sure to use "chopped up" golden raisins. (The wifey didn't chop them up whilst trying to help out! (Stay out of my kitchen!)) Never been fond of raisins, but it's a necessity for this. It adds sweetness and doesn't take away the heat.

Believe it or not, I've also used golden raisins in stuffed peppers. You know what goes great with them? Toasted pignolis. Try some in the next batch.

I dont know why I torture myself by reading this thread weekly. No idea at all. drooling all over my lap, I am. ;)

The ideas I'm getting, my, my!

Now all I need is time to cook and budget for ingredients. :rolleyes:

I think I'll have time next spring. I'll start planning my pepper garden Jan 1.

although- I just got an idea for a simple one...wonder if there are still peppers at the market!:onfire:

Celeste, you can use that same recipe with anything stuffable. Bell peppers, squash, zucchini, cat, tomatoes, etc... It's a very versatile recipe.....

the recipe link is above.

Cheers,

Very nice meal! Got me drooling too...

My wife always puts raisins in her stuffed Bell Peppers, they add some sweetness to them.

scarpetti said:
Celeste, you can use that same recipe with anything stuffable. Bell peppers, squash, zucchini, cat, tomatoes, etc... It's a very versatile recipe.....

the recipe link is above.

Cheers,

gah. glad I came back and read this- dont really have time to cook at all this semester. barely time to eat. but I'll keep coming back and try it.

Two questions, Mr. Scarpetti, if'n you dont mind me askin'- becuase I'm a newbie, relate the heat of those pretty peppers to something I know... how do they compare to perhaps, habeneros?

and, secondly, I have some added challanges to what I may eat- how would this be without the cheese? Ya'll are killing me- everythings covered in cheese. cant do any kind of milk from any kind of beastie. veggie cheeses are just aweful. Did have a recipe to make cashew cheese 'round here somewhere- its nice, but it sets up at a consistancy softer than cream cheese-I used to use it in a veggie lasagna that was pretty awesome, but I dont know how it well it would sub in these creations.

got to find my cookboooks.....

Comparably they're hot like an habanero. Maybe a little hotter. But that's just my calloused tongue speaking. It's a creeper kind of heat. If you follow that recipe and do the soaking before hand you can take a lot of the bite out of the hot ones. But you're here, so you don't want to do that!

The cashew cheese might work. I've never heard of that. You may also just want to top them with some breadcrumbs or mix breadcrumbs in during the last stages of cooking. It's too bad you can't have milk or cheese from a beastie! What about cheese that comes from human milk? Sorry! That's just plain gross. I just made myself sick thinking about that......

Find that recipe for cashew cheese and send it to me. I have a bunch of vegan friends that would be interested.

scarpetti said:
Comparably they're hot like an habanero. Maybe a little hotter. But that's just my calloused tongue speaking. It's a creeper kind of heat. If you follow that recipe and do the soaking before hand you can take a lot of the bite out of the hot ones. But you're here, so you don't want to do that!

The cashew cheese might work. I've never heard of that. You may also just want to top them with some breadcrumbs or mix breadcrumbs in during the last stages of cooking. It's too bad you can't have milk or cheese from a beastie! What about cheese that comes from human milk? Sorry! That's just plain gross. I just made myself sick thinking about that......

Find that recipe for cashew cheese and send it to me. I have a bunch of vegan friends that would be interested.

so, I cant do bread either. Food allergies suck. casein is the protein in milk I'm allergic to, gluten is the protein in old world grains I cant have....apparently when I started making milk my body decided it was time for me to stop drinking it. took a few years to really grasp that. I think I always had the gluten allergy on a low level, but never connected the symptoms to food. when I combined it with the milk allergy things got bad. I was a sick woman till I figured it out. NOw, I'm a very thin woman...I also cant have chocolate, and there are some herbs that send me running for the benedryl- I hate benedryl, but I like breathing....

cashew cheese I learned during my foray into veganism as an attempt to be healthy. (you give up all the above mentioned stuff, meat starts to look real good). I got a ton of homework but I should be clear this weekend, I'll try to find it.

Thankfully I can have nuts, soy, corn and legumes. All meat and veggies are fair game as far as I am concerned.

Back