Stunted Bhut Jolokia?

Hey guys,

I recently started growing pepper plants and I had this very strange Bhut Jolokia plant come up.

It germinated and grew about the same time as my other plants, but it was VERY stunted. When it came out I was wondering if it was simply a weed or a small clover or something as it was much smaller than my other Bhut's.

As it grew it was constantly much smaller than my other plants, very stubby yet dark green and healthy looking. When I transplanted the plant last week it had almost no root structure.

Now (about 2 - 3 weeks) later, it has MANY more leaves than my other plants, has grown 2 secondary stems, and has even started flowering. Tomorrow I'm going to snip off the flowers if that is the agreed consensus on the forum.

I'm wondering what caused this? Is this just the dwarf of the litter? Or was the soil packed too tightly when I sowed the seed? Or is this even a Bhut Jolokia?

Thanks!
QT1DWag.jpg

L77NcCw.jpg

Where did you get the seeds from?

I'm no expert by any means, but it doesn't look very "bhut" to me. Usually the leaves are broader, like your Savina in the background.

I could be wrong though.

It's an interesting looking plant though. I'd be curious to see what comes of it.

chico24 said:

I'm no expert by any means, but it doesn't look very "bhut" to me. Usually the leaves are broader, like your Savina in the background.

I could be wrong though.

It's an interesting looking plant though. I'd be curious to see what comes of it.

yeah looks more like a frutescens

chico24 said:

I could be wrong though.

I got the seeds off Amazon. It looks nothing like the other plants from the same packet lol. I'm very curious as well!

That's not a bhut jolokia.
Or any kind of Chinense .... to be honest from the photos it is very difficult to see much detail other then the fact it isn't what you think it is.

Another vote for not a Bhut. Bhut leaves look very similar to Chinense, but slightly different than most. A little more jagged. Yours look like some Thai peppers I have growing. 

Trippa said:
That's not a bhut jolokia.
Or any kind of Chinense .... to be honest from the photos it is very difficult to see much detail other then the fact it isn't what you think it is.

Here are some more pictures in better light.

tx6O0wV.jpg

gfU0qll.jpg

wS9uolW.jpg

tKgo5IA.jpg

Back