seeds Stunted seedling Growth

I haven’t had much growth with my seedlings if very very slow if at all, they are nearly a month old and the leaves are still tiny and still got 2 baby leaves only. I try not to over water, and I am using a 20watt CFL in a grow box.

I am tempted to buy a 30w Daylight CFL and get some Mylar to line the inside of the box and hoping this would help drastically? However got myself a digital thermo, and monitored temps in my grow box. I usually have the lid partially off for ventilation however it seems temps are around 19’c and with the lid on I get up to 21’c. This morning came into the kitchen and it was mighty cold, and the gauge read 17’c. And now I am thinking I have found my problem? Can temp stunt growth?

I have a heat mat under it, but it still seems to hover around the 19’c average range (with the lights on). I am still looking to get a PC fan attached, but now thinking maybe have it built so it pushes air from the light down towards the plants from above (hopefully pushing down heat as well as adding ventilation?)

Or insulation? Polystyrene foam padded around? Would this help?

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

that is weird....temp's in the 60's shouldn't stop growth completely, especially so soon. Someone who knows more then me might know what is going on.

I don't think your temperature is the problem, I grow plants quite successfully indoors during the winter without adding any heat. You probably just need more light.
What kind of soil are you using, and how long are your lights on for?

POTAWIE said:
I don't think your temperature is the problem, I grow plants quite successfully indoors during the winter without adding any heat. You probably just need more light.
What kind of soil are you using, and how long are your lights on for?

i See, the soil I have is multipurpose compost, mixed in with perlite and verm. 5-1-1 mixish.

They are in biodegradable 6cm ish peat pots.

lights are on 14-15hrs a day

If you haven't fed them yet, I recommend a shot of some balanced fertilize...you can go higher N if you want, but a balanced complete fert would be good...

AlabamaJack said:
If you haven't fed them yet, I recommend a shot of some balanced fertilize...you can go higher N if you want, but a balanced complete fert would be good...

I havent yet, and did wonder this. However I picked up from somewhere that I wouldnt need to fertilise till there final pots?

I have bought some fert so can do so, however, I plan to upgrade lights. And already got some myler. I hope that has a desired effect.

Would a BLUE LED setup be better suited for seedlings say over CFL Daylight?

Based on some of the research I have come across and the mixed results, etc. I would leave the LEDs alone and use anything but LEDs. Also as far as nutes go, you can really use them any time not just when they are in their final pots. For example N will cause new foliage and branches to form on a plant. Obviously a high (if not using a balanced fert as suggested) N fert would work best in the beginning stages of the plants growth. The other two nutrients are good for flowering and fruiting. Again best used accordingly.

Anyway I would do as AJ suggested. he knows very well what hes talking about and I would also stay away from LED lighting no matter how cool, cheap or "AMAZING" someone or some add says they are. I also dont know if only a 20w CFL is enough for even one plant. I have always been told 30-45w per plant. I also dont think you can go wrong with getting a bigger CFL like a 100w or more. Im no light expert by any measure and am just learning about CFL. But thats some info I have about it.

a lot of people don't grow like I do...all I know is that it works for me...I mix up some botanicare progrow at the 1/2 recommended strength and start feeding the plants as soon as they emerge from the soil...and feed them this way until my first transplant to 3" containers, then I go full strength until the next transplant which is usually 5 gallon containers at which time I will give them a good shot of the Botanicare nutrients and after that I switch to a balanced 10-10-10 granular fertilize as a top dressing and I top dress every two weeks...

Im not trying to steal the thread so I will keep it short. But I have been looking for balanced ferts nearby and havent had much luck. What are you using as your 10-10-10?

I managed to get some Berry Fertiliser as well as Tomatoe fert. Seems the Tom is slightly stronger. Anyhow, I sprinkled some fert on today, will monitor for the next couple of days.

I also not sure if 20w CFL will do the job, but have seen some 30w 6400k Daylight Bulbs on the bay. Tempted to have a crack at that?

I assume, my 20w is in the 2700k? It seems very bright IMO, however I am new to all this, and maybe 20w is nowt.

Well 6400k range is for the growth of the plant then you use the 2700k during flowering/fruiting stage. Since Iw as just looking at CFL's and I know ebay can be kinda shady sometimes. Here is what I found on two sites I considered.

Accessdiscounts.com
200w 6400k Sunblaster $76.00
200w 2700k Sunblaster $76.00

Growlightsupply.com
200w 6500k $69.47
200w 3000k $69.47

I dont know your budget or what wattage your planning on getting but those seem to be nice prices and I think the Sunblasters are a popular brand (correct me if I am wrong) Anyway hope that helps a little bit. Of course if you get a lower wattage bulb then it will also be cheaper then what I have posted.

crazy8 said:
Well 6400k range is for the growth of the plant then you use the 2700k during flowering/fruiting stage. Since Iw as just looking at CFL's and I know ebay can be kinda shady sometimes. Here is what I found on two sites I considered.

Accessdiscounts.com
200w 6400k Sunblaster $76.00
200w 2700k Sunblaster $76.00

Growlightsupply.com
200w 6500k $69.47
200w 3000k $69.47

I dont know your budget or what wattage your planning on getting but those seem to be nice prices and I think the Sunblasters are a popular brand (correct me if I am wrong) Anyway hope that helps a little bit. Of course if you get a lower wattage bulb then it will also be cheaper then what I have posted.

Many Thanks buddy.

Well, I was gonna go for CFL as they will be going in a smallish grow box (http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=14414), and wanna keep cost low as well as running costs.

Dont wanna get a heavy light, however to start off with 6400k and 2700k later on sounds fine by me.

Am a UK person, anychance of UK links lol.:P

I actually have none that I kept record of since I am US, but I do recall finding a few sites that were UK based. Just google for CFL bulbs, or "Purchase CFL lights", etc.

i did a test yesterday, and placed the temp sensor at the top of the box, and I was getting 25'c. with the bottom of the box around 19-20'c. :shocked:

Ventilation/Fan would deffo help here I guess.

Even with insulation, I think it would be a good way to retain some more heat, seeing we are getting into winter (yesterday night hit 2'c) the blimey weather is cold.

Also ordered a 30w Daylight 6400k bulb:). Thats combined with Mylar hoping will give better results?

For the price of those CFL, I'm surprised that you wouldn't be looking at the 400w metal halides. You can get the bulbs for 15 - 20, and the fixtures are pretty cheap.

Matt Berry said:
For the price of those CFL, I'm surprised that you wouldn't be looking at the 400w metal halides. You can get the bulbs for 15 - 20, and the fixtures are pretty cheap.

Yeah maybe, but 30w over 400w is a large difference in electricity costs (here in the UK that is expensive). The bulb cost me £6 so is about $10.

The 30w is equivelant to 225w I beleive. I had a choice to go for a 45w CFL, however both are 6400k, so am hoping the 30w is sufficient? Worse case I can upgrade again, and keep 30w as a grow on light.

Just a quick update.

The seedling dont look to well, fertilised them, and watered them but looks like they are going yellow ish. Some have shriveled leaves. Some have droped there baby leaves.

I have now placed them in the window, in the hope that the light will help, until I get my daylight bulb as my 20w ( i think 2700k) isnt enough?

The only way to get suffucient light to grow chiles without the sun is to supply sufficient light. If the cost of electricity is keeping you back, maybe you can't afford to grow chiles inside.

HID lamps can be had in the same/more wattages than CFL lamps and they're more efficient.

willard3 said:
The only way to get suffucient light to grow chiles without the sun is to supply sufficient light. If the cost of electricity is keeping you back, maybe you can't afford to grow chiles inside.

HID lamps can be had in the same/more wattages than CFL lamps and they're more efficient.

Maybe inside growin gisnt for me. Maybe I should just wait till spring. And stick em out.

Erm, well its not the cost of electricity, its just common sense really. I like the idea of growing chilli's and eating my home grown, but if it cost beyond the earth to get there it feel illogical to me.

Will look into HID lamps. Thanks

Back