Stupid Question: Sending Seeds Overseas

Hey all,

Sorry for the stupid question. But, I'm trading seeds with someone overseas (England & New Zealand). How many stamps do you use for a standard envelope?

Thanks!

take it to the post office and they can charge you the amount right there.  

i have no idea on how many stamps?

When I send to the UK, I put the seeds in a small birthday card. Never had a problem. I think the USPS now has a Forever stamp for sending out of the country. It cost me $1.15, I believe, last week to get seeds off to Canada.

kentishman said:
When I send to the UK, I put the seeds in a small birthday card. Never had a problem. I think the USPS now has a Forever stamp for sending out of the country. It cost me $1.15, I believe, last week to get seeds off to Canada.

Is there any issue with sending it in a standard bubble envelope, without a customs form?

Standard bubble envelope will cost you a bit. The cheapest method by far is to sandwich the seeds (in their bagggie) in between two pieces of bubble wrap or other suitable padding, which then goes inbetween two index cards or inside a birthday card. Finally mail it in a standard biz envelope for a cost of $1.15.

I've successfully sent seeds to US and AUS putting plastic bags of seeds in a standard envelope between some plied layers of paper...
Keep it easy and no one will notice it.

Cya

Datil

I've done birthday cards. But I just put about 5 forever stamps. Don't want to deal with the usps and them get nosy. All have made it. Now I'll try sending it with 3.

I've done birthday cards. But I just put about 5 forever stamps. Don't want to deal with the usps and them get nosy. All have made it. Now I'll try sending it with 3.

Thanks guys, appreciate it. So, I took my bubble envelopes down to the post office. Probably about 6"x8" ish in size. It cost $2.29 per envelope. Lady said what Kentishman said for a standard envelope, $1.15. Just FYI, for anyone else who may be interested.

I mailed a bubble envelope package to South Africa, they insisted I declare customs.  Obviously anything Federal is broke as a joke and they want money--It cost like six bucks or so, not a big deal because it was for a seed trade.  I think there are advantages to declaring customs to some countries, others will get it confiscated.  If they know what is in the package they are less likely to be suspicious about it...also you get a customs tracking number.  They can open it but still have to send it if it doesn't contain prohibited items.  The USPS website has information as to what is prohibited to mail to whatever country you're mailing it to, you might have problems with New Zealand.

I had no problems mailing to Canada or Germany without declaring customs.

New Zealands customs in cracking down on imported seeds. Don't know if it needs the certificate that Australia does. Have seen some on FB post their incoming seeds got confinscated. It does say on their website any incoming pepper seeds must be labeled with the scientific name. Not sure if that's just means Capsicum Chinense ror what? Had some sent to me from there no problem getting into US from there.

Here is a link to their site that maybe helpful
http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/regs/imports/plants/seeds

Thanks Boost. Not sure how they could tell what is inside, inside a big bubble envelope. Do they x-ray seeds? If so, wouldn't that ruin them?

Think they use dogs as well. An yes they inform the recipient. Of them being held. An think they try and charge them $30 to send them back. Or they offer to dispose of them for free. I'm either gonna do the Bday card. Or make it look like a thick envelope of junk mail.

Back