• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Styrofoam or Plastic Cups?

What kind of cup is better to start seeds in?
Styrofoam or Plasic?
I know it's not the best way but that's not what I'm asking... Lol
What do you guys think?

What kind of cup is better to start seeds in?
Styrofoam or Plasic?
I know it's not the best way but that's not what I'm asking... Lol
What do you guys think?

The problem is they flop over. go to a liquor store and get some boxes with square inserts and pick some cups that will stand up well in the boxes. The inserts will keep the cups standing upright. So now the question is which cups fit in the box. Well different boxes will work better with different cups. so get the boxes first.

I have glued styrofoam cups down to cardboard beer flats. works fairly well. but some come loose.

I would move the boxes often. indoors at night and outdoors in the day and move them around in the sun during the day. so I wanted the cups to be solid.

Now I bought professional pots in professional trays. No more cups for me.

The problem is they flop over. go to a liquor store and get some boxes with square inserts and pick some cups that will stand up well in the boxes. The inserts will keep the cups standing upright. So now the question is which cups fit in the box. Well different boxes will work better with different cups. so get the boxes first.

I have glued styrofoam cups down to cardboard beer flats. works fairly well. but some come loose.

I would move the boxes often. indoors at night and outdoors in the day and move them around in the sun during the day. so I wanted the cups to be solid.

I assume you're talking about when it comes to hardening off the plants right, since I don't think it would matter that much indoors when there are no strong winds to worry about? I was kind of thinking the same thing...I've been saving those cardboard bottoms that the 24-packs of tallboys come in for when that time comes. I figure I could fit 3x4 for 12 plants total in one of those which would provide some stability and make it easier to lug the plants back and forth between indoors and outdoors for the hardening off process. The square inserts that beer bottles come in is a good idea though. I should start saving some of those too. I would think 16 oz plastic cups would fit nicely in those.

There shouldn't be any problem acquiring the bottoms and inserts at this house. :D

damnit, I started a few dozen seeds last week and did them in styrfoam and was hoping that would be the answer on here...oh well!

and bri, I started mine in styrofoam (obviously,..) and I am using a plastic box, kind of like the kind that restaurants throw dirty dishes in, so its taller and the cups actually fit snug 5x4 and I put plexiglass that i took out of a picture frame to cover the top, to trap heat.

Ive never done it this way so Im not necessarily saying it works well :o)

xox good luck to you!

nicole

do what you can to keep styrofoam out of the landfill/garbage sites. so, if you have styrofoam cups, use them over and over again until styrofoam can be recycled. that includes egg cartons.

that being said, do really, really think it makes a big difference in where a seed is hosted, i bet it a seedling wouldn't know the difference as all the cup is doing is holding soil in place.

Well i was just wondering what would be better at trapping heat, because I am sure Styrofoam is a better insulator than plastic, since plastic cups are thin.... that was the main reason behind the question and would the Styrofoam breakdown under lot of moisture over time?

do what you can to keep styrofoam out of the landfill/garbage sites. so, if you have styrofoam cups, use them over and over again until styrofoam can be recycled. that includes egg cartons.

that being said, do really, really think it makes a big difference in where a seed is hosted, i bet it a seedling wouldn't know the difference as all the cup is doing is holding soil in place.

whats up debbie downer :lol:

For the love of all that is good and right for your body, do NOT start them in polystyrene. And DON'T reuse them over again. Get some food-grade plastic, if you can, for the next go 'round.

Or, if you're cool with a benzene-based product that can mimic estrogen in your body if/when leached, then go for it. :)

Now I've bested BC as the downer of the thread.

Seriously, though, y'all, polystyrene sucks for so many possible and actual reasons.

Small square plastic pots are even better IMO and not really much more expensive to buy. You can often get used ones free from nurseries

Yes I have collected all kinds of good pots free over time. also get free flats etc. just have to keep on the look out. right around planting time in the spring is a good time to find everyone buying plants and getting rid of the pots. I grab the pots for later. I find some really good expensive very large pots.

Many nurseries have many used pots toward the end of the season. they will not reuse them. the plants they are trying to sell die and they throw them out.

cemetaries get tons of used pots. they collect them up off the graves as the flowers die and throw them out.

get the word out that you are looking for used pots. garden clubs generate used pots.

YES, my suggestion too. This is what I do. Drain holes are superior and I don't need to take time drilling them out in plastic/foam.

Chris

Small square plastic pots are even better IMO and not really much more expensive to buy. You can often get used ones free from nurseries

lol. Eh...I'm tearing up a little.

just like a good volleyball set up, here comes the spike.......

.....now that i am sporting a name like ..............deBRA....... get it de(BRA)...look boss de bra, de bra!

(debra the formal name of debbie, am i the only one who gets it? i'm taking my ball and going home).

depends on how much trouble you have with the cups tipping over, but I built the following to hold 9 ounce cups that allows for bottom watering...I have since switched to 3" square pots and don't use the holders any more...I just used the plain plastic 9 oz cups and they worked fine...

here are the instructions...should be easy to follow...

cupholder1.jpg

cupholder2.jpg

cupholder3.jpg

I've used both and prefer the plastic "party" type cups. I just drill some drain holes.

I picked up a proper seed flat for 2011.

Back