• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Suckers and burying

Being new to growing peppers, I was wondering what this community's opinion is regarding two common practices in tomato growing as applied to peppers. With tomatoes, I often pinch off so-called suckers below the first set of fruit to encourage the plant to devote more energy to the fruiting process, which also has the advantage of making the plant more manageable and easier to contain. Looking at the photos floating around the forum, I'm seeing a mess of peppers on giant bushes, so I'm assuming most of you let the peppers grow freely. Should I just leave my peppers alone in this regard?

Also, I know both peppers and tomatoes will easily root from their stems when in contact with soil; when I transplant my peppers, what's the best policy in terms of how deep (or not) to plant? I know tomatoes will often come back stronger if I bury most of the plant; I was wondering if the same logic applied to peppers.

I bring this up because my Datil plants are nearing a foot tall and are beginning to develop side-shoots at every leaf along the main stem. I've just started hardening them off, and I've been pinching off the buds as I see them because I don't want them to even think about fruiting before they have time to establish in their final containers. After that, I figure it's fair game.

I do plan on overwintering most of my peppers, if that makes a difference.

I plant them a li deeper when they reach their final home. i don't pinch them like i do my maters, but do trim them a lil to thicken them up some...

more peppers sure, if you can provide all the needed nutrition for the plant to give you full sized pods. in my experience, getting lots of pods makes a bunch of small ones instead of a few really nice sized ones.

Back