• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Sudden appearance of scales on leaves

first off, not a pepper expert here. I bought a few cayenne plants to grow for fun...doubtful they'll product much given the climate (Vancouver Island), but it's something different.

I was walking by the plants a few minutes ago and noticed they looked wilted over, with some blackened, curled up leaves near the top, and the larger leaves were covered in yellow scales. They were definitely not like this in the morning. As per the instructions on the pot, they are sheletered from intense afternoon sun, and I am not overwatering them (a search here for "scales" suggested overwatering as a cause of scaling). I did notice aphids on the plants this morning, so I sprayed them with some pyrethroid-based spray (doesn't give specific ingredients), which said it was effective against aphids, since it seemed the gentlest method for the small plants. That's also how I know the plants were perfectly healthy not even 24 hours ago; I'd have noticed the scales, as they're very obvious.

Did I cause the scales? I've used the spray on other plants with no ill effects. I'd say it was the aphids, but it seems too coincidental, and the plants have survived my care for a few months now. I washed the plants off; is there anything else I can do?

PW - I grew up in Houston, but now live in Cleveland, OH, so I understand the perception. We've gotten into the high 90's here on several occasions - while that's not as common as in your area, it has the same effects on the plants up here. Sheltering from the afternoon sun can help reduce the temps just a bit for the plants, and it does sound like these are new plants for sx29.

sx29 - We had a fungus that came down here from Canada last year. I wouldn't describe it as scaley, but this could be a different fungus now. As stated by PL and PW, pictures would help us to better understand what's going on. If you don't have a digital camera available, I'd first recommend removing the leaves with the scales - bag the removed leaves in a sealed ziploc so whatever it is doesn't have a chance to spread, if it's fungal.

Back